Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

S6 front brakes on A6

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default S6 front brakes on A6

I have selected and priced out the parts I think I need in order to install the S6 front brakes on my A6. The following is the list of parts I think I should need.

Left & Right calipers, comes with all necessary hardware as far as I can tell.
Price for ea. = $798.88

Left & Right rotors at $224.87ea.

Brake pads at $213.59

Left & Right splash shield at $65.62ea.

Splash shield bolt at $0.38ea.

Rotor bolt at $0.45ea.

The grand total is $2375.99 plus tax and shipping of I make the purchase.

I obtained this info thru AudiUSAParts.com. Looking for feedback from members to see if I'm missing anything.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats wrong with the Stasis ones? The S6 ones sure aren't any better. If you're looking for better than the Stasis, you're gonna have to get 6 pot Brembos or CCM's.

As far as the list goes, you're missing the caliper mounting brackets.

Last edited by Mike_L; 04-25-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Whats wrong with the Stasis ones? The S6 ones sure aren't any better. If you're looking for better than the Stasis, you're gonna have to get 6 pot Brembos or RS7 CCM's.
You're kidding right? The S6 brakes are 400mm rotors, two piece free float with 6 piston calipers made by Brembo. The only better stock brakes that I have experienced were on a Corvette ZR1.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
You're kidding right? The S6 brakes are 400mm rotors, two piece free float with 6 piston calipers made by Brembo. The only better stock brakes that I have experienced were on a Corvette ZR1.
So they're the same as the CTS-V has. I was far from impressed with them when I test drove the S6. Need grabbier pads or a different booster.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Whats wrong with the Stasis ones? The S6 ones sure aren't any better. If you're looking for better than the Stasis, you're gonna have to get 6 pot Brembos or CCM's.

Well, my Stasis/Alcon rotors are in need of replacement if I want to track the car again. They have developed a crack about 1/4 to 3/8 inch from one of the crescent groves to the outer surface. I've been pretty hard on the brakes in my dozen or so track events so I'm not to surprised this has happened. In any case since Stasis is no longer in business at the moment and Alcon is unable to determine what Alcon P/N matches the 370mm Stasis Rotor I'm looking at an alternative. Alcon does sell replacement rotors but if I order the wrong one it can not be returned per their website.

The cost of installing the S6 brakes using one of the parts websites is far cheaper than a Brembo BBK. Those people that have tracked their S6 cars have not complained about the stock brakes. In any case I would track pads when I go to the track. Another reason is they would be better supported.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

As far as I can tell from the picture of the S6 caliper that I listed it comes with the mounting bracket included.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
Well, my Stasis/Alcon rotors are in need of replacement if I want to track the car again. They have developed a crack about 1/4 to 3/8 inch from one of the crescent groves to the outer surface. I've been pretty hard on the brakes in my dozen or so track events so I'm not to surprised this has happened. In any case since Stasis is no longer in business at the moment and Alcon is unable to determine what Alcon P/N matches the 370mm Stasis Rotor I'm looking at an alternative. Alcon does sell replacement rotors but if I order the wrong one it can not be returned per their website. The cost of installing the S6 brakes using one of the parts websites is far cheaper than a Brembo BBK. Those people that have tracked their S6 cars have not complained about the stock brakes. In any case I would track pads when I go to the track. Another reason is they would be better supported.
Try calling alconkits.com. They can help you identify what you have and get replacement parts.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
Those people that have tracked their S6 cars have not complained about the stock brakes.
Roger that - best stock brakes I've ever experienced. They would handle a 20-30 minute session with zero fade. When you came into the pits from your cool-down lap, they would be making severe clicking and popping sounds and the front rotors would give off enough heat to sear your flesh if you stood close enough. Regardless, they were ready to do it again for the next session. And the next.

If you're doing the swap, check to see if the booster and/or proportioning valve is unique to the S6/7. Brake proportioning might all be done electronically, in which case your setup might not be optimized but should still be better than stock.

Last edited by DeerHunter; 04-25-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm interested to see if there is anything else that is needed to do this brake swap. Please keep us posted. Thanks
Old 04-26-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So they're the same as the CTS-V has. I was far from impressed with them when I test drove the S6. Need grabbier pads or a different booster.
The S6 brakes are the same as the CTS-V? I haven't heard them having 400mm rotors. They might be 6 piston but that doesn't mean they are the same.

As for how they felt, if it was a new car the brakes likely weren't bedded properly which are the most important thing when it comes to how they feel.

Quick Reply: S6 front brakes on A6