Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Second issue in a week (seat belt stuck)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Second issue in a week (seat belt stuck)

So second issue in a week and my anxiety is super high. The passenger seat belt is stuck wrapped around the seat and i cant seem to release it at all (dont ask how it got stuck its so silly how it happened).

I have been searching and seems like it happens to even newer cars.

I have taken the pillars off and i have the vent duct also off, cant seem to find the "hammer" that is on the seatbelt assembly.

Anyone have any input on how to release the belt?

Attached pics for the assembly photos
Attached Images   

Last edited by porksoda; 08-23-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
So second issue in a week and my anxiety is super high. The passenger seat belt is stuck wrapped around the seat and i cant seem to release it at all (dont ask how it got stuck its so silly how it happened).

I have been searching and seems like it happens to even newer cars.

I have taken the pillars off and i have the vent duct also off, cant seem to find the "hammer" that is on the seatbelt assembly.

Anyone have any input on how to release the belt?

Attached pics for the assembly photos
when this happens to me I just pull hard, it slowly releases and the when it retracts all is well again.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You wont be able to access any of the internals of the belt mechanism to release the 'lock' on the belt with out destroying it internally.
Have you tried moving the seat back and forth to see if the tension eases a bit ?
Also you can loosen the bottom torx bolt and the upper one in your pic and the whole assembly should move upwards allowing you to fully remove it
Old 08-24-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
when this happens to me I just pull hard, it slowly releases and the when it retracts all is well again.
+1. I've had to do this on several vehicles with stuck seat belts. In addition I usually add a lot of cuss words and it also seems to help too!
Old 08-24-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did try pulling it as hard as i can and feels like at this point i will be ripping something from somewhere.

I was able to give it 1/4" and it clicks so i am thinking its got the safety seat lock thing going on and i have to release the tangle to let it go in so it an unlock. I played with the rear seat belt and i can get it to lock as well and i have to let it click itself in most of the way for it to release.

I am not sure why this is on the front seat but perhaps you can attach a baby seat to the front seat (passenger) as well.

I need to get a triple square bit to remove the harness from the top anchor point and that should give me enough slack to untangle. Will update if that worked if not then i am not sure.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
I did try pulling it as hard as i can and feels like at this point i will be ripping something from somewhere.

I was able to give it 1/4" and it clicks so i am thinking its got the safety seat lock thing going on and i have to release the tangle to let it go in so it an unlock. I played with the rear seat belt and i can get it to lock as well and i have to let it click itself in most of the way for it to release.

I am not sure why this is on the front seat but perhaps you can attach a baby seat to the front seat (passenger) as well.

I need to get a triple square bit to remove the harness from the top anchor point and that should give me enough slack to untangle. Will update if that worked if not then i am not sure.
Or just take it to the dealer....It should be under warranty
Old 08-24-2017, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Or just take it to the dealer....It should be under warranty
first thing i did was that for my roof and the belt, they couldnt see me until mid to late next week.

So i took the top harness off and untangled the belt and viola, it was in the child seat lock mode.

So if anyone has it stuck you will have to untangle it to get it going, how i got the child seat lock was that i pulled all of the belt out as i was wrapping it to a box, and i guess i let go of the belt and it slowly ratcheted back in and got stuck (as i was going to the drivers site to lock the belt).