Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Shopping for a new TDI for my buyback Passat / Audi Mechanic Recommendations - SATX

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for a new TDI for my buyback Passat / Audi Mechanic Recommendations - SATX

Hello all !!

New member here.

Here’s a little background:

I ordered and waited 4 months for my 2012 Passat TDI to be built and took delivery back in Nov 2011. However, after much deliberation, since the dieselgate offer is something I can’t refuse I will be, sadly, turning this girl in for buyback next month. Since this car has completely converted me and I'm now a oil-burning superfan, I am now in the market for a new TDI. I drove a 2014 A6 TDI last week and fell in love with the engine, road manners, fit and finish etc. but that particular car didn’t have certain options I was looking for so I passed.

Reliability is a HUGE concern as I have driven my Passat every mile of it’s 103k and haven’t had a single major issue (despite trunk light going out, DEF heater CEL is on but it doesn’t effect driveability and it’s a warranty covered item if I was to keep it…). I replaced tires/battery etc. but, heck, I’m still on the original brake pads… brakes just slow you down anyways.

Currently, I’m targeting a 2016 or 2015 A6 TDI Prestige Sport - CPO. However, upon researching I see the strong recommendations for a PPI.
  • Is anyone here familiar with any Audi mechanics in the San Antonio, TX area?
  • Also, anything you want to share – things to look for etc. I would appreciate it (I did reach about the timing tensioner already and will be looking out for that).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/feedback!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

*Edit
(I did reach about the timing tensioner already and will be looking out for that)
=
(I did read about the timing tensioner already and will be looking out for that)

apologies
Old 11-29-2018, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't say I've had anything TDI specific go bad aside from a couple of emissions sensors (EGT and another one I can't recall) due to being rear-ended. All my other things could well have happened to other cars:
  • Steering column replaced
  • Front wheel bearings replaced after Audi realized that the noise they thought the steering column was making was... not being made by the steering column so really, the steering column was replaced for nothing.
  • Engine mount sprung a leak (had both replaced as they are replaced in pairs).
  • Rear camera intermittently failed.
I'd say that the last 25K miles have been trouble-free ::knock on wood::
Old 12-01-2018, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I did the same thing you did. I sold my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Plus. A few months earlier, I had purchased a 2014 A6 TDI Prestige Sport. My Passat had 136k on it when I sold it back in January 2017.

I bought the A6 in October 2016 with 32k on it. I just rolled 107k on it. The only warranty related work I had done was a front wheel bearing. I did pads and rotors myself. I have absolutely no complaints about the car.

One important thing to note - Your Passat has more rear leg room than the A6. Quite a bit more. It was only an issue for me for a short time, now all my kids drive their own cars. But if they were younger and I was still hauling them around it would have been a problem. At least for our family anyways. We are all over six feet tall. My middle child is 6'-4".
Old 12-01-2018, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 50pascals
I did the same thing you did. I sold my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Plus. A few months earlier, I had purchased a 2014 A6 TDI Prestige Sport. My Passat had 136k on it when I sold it back in January 2017.

I bought the A6 in October 2016 with 32k on it. I just rolled 107k on it. The only warranty related work I had done was a front wheel bearing. I did pads and rotors myself. I have absolutely no complaints about the car.

One important thing to note - Your Passat has more rear leg room than the A6. Quite a bit more. It was only an issue for me for a short time, now all my kids drive their own cars. But if they were younger and I was still hauling them around it would have been a problem. At least for our family anyways. We are all over six feet tall. My middle child is 6'-4".
Someone's been drinking their milk...