Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Should I get a used A6??

Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a used A6??

Hi everyone, I'm seeking input on whether or not I should purchase the car I want (Audi A6 '13-'15) or go a little more conservative and get an Acura. Here's a little background info on why I'm hesitant about the decision: I currently own a 2007 Kia Spectra which was the first car I ever purchased and I've been driving it every since. I have a college degree and am very close to paying off my student loans and the plan is to live a debt free lifestyle aside from mortgage. Now that my final student loan payment is coming up... And I'm approaching 10 years of driving this same car, I would like to upgrade my wheels with something that I will actually enjoy versus something to just get me from point a to point be (which is what my first purchase was). I will be turning 30 soon, I make a salary of $50k before taxes, I am in a relationship so household expenses are sliced and I will be left with discretionary income of over $1k a month once I've made my final student loan payment. My plan is to save up and buy the car I want in cash. Where I live the used A6 goes for anywhere from $23k for a normal used or around $26k for CPO. I crunched the numbers and I don't think I would have a problem affording this, especially since there would be no car note. But as I'm doing my research I find nothing but negative comments about the cost to own this car and how much maintenance it is even down to a monthly basis. Is it really that bad? One post I read said that as long as you have a couple grand stashed away per year.. That should be enough. I think that is a reasonable price to pay to own a luxury vehicle. Being that I do have the monthly discretionary income.. I don't mind stashing away 2 months worth of savings for car maintenance.. But I would obviously like to put the majority of it in savings and not spend it all on maintaining a car. I want something nice to drive that I can enjoy but not if it's going to be as ridiculously expensive as people make it out to be. Based on the information I've provided, please let me know if I'm in over my head or if it seems feasible to make this purchase. Also advise on if you think it necessary to be certain to get a CPO or should I of the cheaper route and buy from a used car lot and get it checked out? I appreciate your input.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

wrong forum.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My apologies.. I'm new.. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

These cars are not cheap to fix. If you can afford it the CPO, I would go for that. I had the 2012 model when I lived in Korea for 3 1/2 years without much problems. There were a few problems where the warranties covered it. I have the 2016 here in the US, love it. I test drive the 2015 TLX and it wasn't even close to the same satisfaction as the A6. Sometimes you can find a great price, just good timing I guess. Good luck shopping around.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

+1 regarding Acura TLX -- awful (and this from a long time Acura loyalist). Acura is not what it once was, including, but not limited to reliability and driving joy. Agree regarding CPO. Japanese cars for most part relatively inexpensive to repair -- Audi not so. Good luck.

Best,
Jeff
Old 06-19-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

If i were you I would dip my toe in the water and look for a loaded A4 with as low miles as possible...

One bad day with the A6 could be a very expensive and relationship ending repair bill...

Having said that...they are a pretty reliable vehicle with many people already going well over 100K miles...but the pesky things that break at that point are not cheap and you are asking yourself...do I want to pump 2 grand into a car with >100K miles?

My $0.02
Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks dc2002.. I thought about that as well.. I was just concerned about the size (I'm 5'8...dont want another cramped car like the one I have) I may have to go sit in one and get a feel.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayva
I may have to go sit in one and get a feel.
That WILL suck you right in!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
That WILL suck you right in!

Lol... What has been your experience with your car? I see you own what I am looking to buy
Old 06-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

The answer is always Miata. For a daily driver, I recommend a PRHT model. ;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I get a used A6??