Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

should I go head with what dealer suggests regarding rear brake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I go head with what dealer suggests regarding rear brake?

dealer says "the vehicle needs rear brakes. They measure 3mm the estimate is $816.98+tax"

the brake pad warning lights have not come off yet.

the car is at 30k miles. I have no ideas if this is common wear on the brakes? please help. Thanks!

another million dollar question: can I drive this car safely for an extra 3k miles?

I am about to move cross country next week. If not that urgent I'll change them at my destination, and use a good indy shop if I can.

Last edited by q5q7; 10-16-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:21 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

30k is not unheard of for needing brakes on a beast as heavy as an A6.
OE rear pads are $100 a set (aftermarket can be cheaper maybe $60)
OE rear rotors at $260 a pair (aftermarket could be down to like $80)
I'm sure dealer list price is more...
So they are charging roughly $400 in labor. I'm not sure what the labor rate is at your dealer but $150/hr is possible, so roughly 2.5 hours. Sounds about right. Might want to get a quote from a good indy shop.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
30k is not unheard of for needing brakes on a beast as heavy as an A6.
OE rear pads are $100 a set (aftermarket can be cheaper maybe $60)
OE rear rotors at $260 a pair (aftermarket could be down to like $80)
I'm sure dealer list price is more...
So they are charging roughly $400 in labor. I'm not sure what the labor rate is at your dealer but $150/hr is possible, so roughly 2.5 hours. Sounds about right. Might want to get a quote from a good indy shop.
Thanks for the breakdown, $150/hr labor is abt right at my dealership..

another million dollar question: can I drive this car safely for an extra 3k miles?

I am about to move cross country next week. If not that urgent I'll change them at my destination, and use a good indy shop if I can.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If it were me, I would get them done before going cross country. If they fail on the way that would be a challenge if in the middle of nowhere not to mention any safety considerations. I also assume the car will be loaded down with stiff since youre moving which will add to the gross weight of the vehilcle and stopping effort.

A bit surprising the rears need to be replaced but not the fronts - front brakes usually wear out sooner.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If it were me, I would get them done before going cross country. If they fail on the way that would be a challenge if in the middle of nowhere not to mention any safety considerations.
+1
Old 10-18-2015, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
A bit surprising the rears need to be replaced but not the fronts - front brakes usually wear out sooner.
Could it have something to do with using the cruise control? Does it use the parking brake motors to slow the car down?
Old 10-18-2015, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Could it have something to do with using the cruise control? Does it use the parking brake motors to slow the car down?
The ABS/ESP module has a hydraulic pump to push brake fluid down the lines and activate the regular service brakes. The cruise control can utilize this mechanism to control the regular brakes as well.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I wouldn't think that the parking brake would be used by the ACC.
As to front brakes usually wearing sooner, it's a reult of the front weight bias as the car's mass is transferred forward even though the rear brakes are equally applied.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

From an engineering standpoint... It seems logical that the ACC uses the rear paring brake motors to slow the car down. There's no motor in front obviously. So us ACC users get higher brake wear on rear. Since the ACC is more conservative I do notice it hits the brake more often than if I just let off the gas to cruise to a stop without the ACC.
So Yes I believe the ACC wears the rear brakes sooner. I'm second owner of my Audi but my rear brakes were first to wear to levels needing replacement while front brakes still had half-life still left. Just my 2-cents.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Just put rear brakes, pads & rotors, in my wife's 2011 Infiniti G37XS at 60,000 miles in July. Fronts were still plenty good. When I questioned my mechanic as to why I was replacing rears before fronts he stated this is very common in late model vehicles with ABS, traction and stability control as those systems utilize the rear brakes at times to make adjustments when these safety systems intervene.

Quick Reply: should I go head with what dealer suggests regarding rear brake?