Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Should I take A6 to dealer for Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Doesn't hurt to have a relationship with a dealer -- if they know you and vice versa sometimes works to your advantage if something major goes wrong and need some factory support/goodwill. Just something to consider.

Best,
Jeff
Old 09-21-2018, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Doesn't hurt to have a relationship with a dealer -- if they know you and vice versa sometimes works to your advantage if something major goes wrong and need some factory support/goodwill. Just something to consider.

Best,
Jeff
Very true. Service department gave me a “loaner” for 60 days while I waited for my factory order to arrive. They left my old car in the back corner of the lot. Great guys.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx

I agree on building a relationship with a dealer, and I wanted my oil changes to be on record. These cars go along time without a technician looking at them, (personally I do a 5K oil and filter change I don't care what they say) so its good to have a professional check under the hood. My previous car dealer noticed an early failing water pump, radiator and sunroof motor that Lexus fixed under warranty with his good eyes catching it. There were no symptoms of any of that failing. Also with all the software on these cars, wouldn't you want the dealer to update that at service time? There may also be a TSB you are unaware of that they perform to keep known problems from happening. Just my two cents, dave

Best,
Jeff
yes
Old 09-21-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just do it myself. $20 for Castrol EDGE 0W-40 5 qt synthetic oil, $10 filter, and a new washer since I drain from the bottom. I have a 2.0T.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:30 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

For me the Dealer sets up the relationship, not the car owner. The customer makes them money, not the other way around. As a customer you have to be civil if you want a bad thing go your way. I don't mind doing my own oil changes. I get to know the car better and can see any obvious issues. Things I cannot do, I take to the dealer.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bpd
For me the Dealer sets up the relationship, not the car owner. The customer makes them money, not the other way around. As a customer you have to be civil if you want a bad thing go your way. I don't mind doing my own oil changes. I get to know the car better and can see any obvious issues. Things I cannot do, I take to the dealer.
Not trying to be argumentative here. FWIW my experience has been that if dealer sees car with some frequency and perceives owner as a loyal customer they are more apt to go to bat for customer when necessary. As some here say, your mileage may vary. That is not to say I do all maintenance at dealer but I do make it a point to see them for scheduled service every 10K miles (bought Audicare so this is fairly painless). For my intermediate oil changes (I change every 5K miles), I use an indy or do it myself. You are indeed correct civility is the only way to go for sure. Never hurts to be nice.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

I bring them donuts every time I bring the car in for service. Not only did it result in my 60 day free loaner, but they give me an additional 10% discount on every service as their “favorite” customer.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

One local dealer charges $80 and another charges $120 for an oil change. It is not worth doing it myself.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I bring them donuts every time I bring the car in for service. Not only did it result in my 60 day free loaner, but they give me an additional 10% discount on every service as their “favorite” customer.
LOL. Kevin, they are automotive technicians, not police officers! Standing joke in Toronto where I grew up was that sirens and lights were on when cops were headed to "Tim Horton's" for coffee and donuts. There is a Tim Horton's in Toronto approximately every 25 feet -- LOL. I just got back from an epic road bicycle trip in UT and met a rider from Long Island -- retired public school teacher -- good rider and very nice guy. One day I'll get to NY for the five borough ride which I hear is a hoot.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I brought a growler of ipa for my tech to share and guess what, my rear tail light moisture issue was magically covered under warranty

I do a LOT of my own mechanical stuff, but I bring the vehicles in when u don't have time or expertise to do the work. Having a $1k tail light covered under the warranty is a great reason to make sure your service tech remembers you

Quick Reply: Should I take A6 to dealer for Oil Change?