Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Should I take A6 to dealer for Oil Change?

Old 09-22-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MightyVac is my firend, oil and filter, easy peasy, save $$$.

Dealer is not, at least not so far. Perhaps I have to follow Kevin's doughnut and take the first step...
Old 09-22-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
LOL. Kevin, they are automotive technicians, not police officers! Standing joke in Toronto where I grew up was that sirens and lights were on when cops were headed to "Tim Horton's" for coffee and donuts. There is a Tim Horton's in Toronto approximately every 25 feet -- LOL. I just got back from an epic road bicycle trip in UT and met a rider from Long Island -- retired public school teacher -- good rider and very nice guy. One day I'll get to NY for the five borough ride which I hear is a hoot.
I have done the five borough a few times. It is quite the experience.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
I brought a growler of ipa for my tech to share and guess what, my rear tail light moisture issue was magically covered under warranty

I do a LOT of my own mechanical stuff, but I bring the vehicles in when u don't have time or expertise to do the work. Having a $1k tail light covered under the warranty is a great reason to make sure your service tech remembers you
They do have a lot of discretion and they seem to remember who was nice to them. Lol
Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary

They do have a lot of discretion and they seem to remember who was nice to them. Lol
Kevin, I could not agree with you more.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by newmoon
I just do it myself. $20 for Castrol EDGE 0W-40 5 qt synthetic oil, $10 filter, and a new washer since I drain from the bottom. I have a 2.0T.
I have Audi Care rolled into my lease, but I am curious as to what you do to dispose of the old oil. Is it a pain?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:02 AM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

My local auto parts stores take and recycle used oil. Oreillys and Autozone do. Just have to look up who accepts it in your area. Very easy process. They only ask not to mix other fluids in the oil.

Last edited by bpd; 09-25-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I have Audi Care rolled into my lease, but I am curious as to what you do to dispose of the old oil. Is it a pain?
I used to have Audi Care too until 45k, but now I'm at 70k so I've been doing all the maintenance myself. It's still running great by the way.

I just put the used oil in an old oil bottle and take it to Walmart or an auto workshop.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have Audi Care too, but I just think that 10k interval is too long. I even read a while back about some issues with S4 engine and some mechanics attributed it to the 10k change. I have my dealer do the oil\filter at 10k, but I do it in between to keep the interval at 5k. Even with a good synthetic oil, I feel better about it. I know not every one will agree, but I feel better. I also pull the old oil out through the dipstick tube. There are several factory shops that do it that way anyways. I am going to try liqui Molly 5-40 oil though.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by gguy
I have Audi Care too, but I just think that 10k interval is too long. I even read a while back about some issues with S4 engine and some mechanics attributed it to the 10k change. I have my dealer do the oil\filter at 10k, but I do it in between to keep the interval at 5k. Even with a good synthetic oil, I feel better about it. I know not every one will agree, but I feel better. I also pull the old oil out through the dipstick tube. There are several factory shops that do it that way anyways. I am going to try liqui Molly 5-40 oil though.
+1. Could not agree more. I do 5K intermediate oil changes as well. Interesting how oil in my daily driver 04 Acura TL (just use plain old dino oil) and my /94 Acura NSX (that one gets synthetic) still looks clean at 2,000 miles whereas the oil in the A6 is very dark in color after 2,000 miles. My understanding is that fuel pressure is much higher with direct injection and there is more contaminants that blow by the rings resulting in faster oil contamination. For that reason alone I change oil and filter at 5,000 miles. Not trying to start debate on OCIs -- just my 2 cents. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with.

Best,
Jeff
Old 09-26-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
+1. Could not agree more. I do 5K intermediate oil changes as well. Interesting how oil in my daily driver 04 Acura TL (just use plain old dino oil) and my /94 Acura NSX (that one gets synthetic) still looks clean at 2,000 miles whereas the oil in the A6 is very dark in color after 2,000 miles. My understanding is that fuel pressure is much higher with direct injection and there is more contaminants that blow by the rings resulting in faster oil contamination. For that reason alone I change oil and filter at 5,000 miles. Not trying to start debate on OCIs -- just my 2 cents. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with.

Best,
Jeff
Agreed. To each his own but the 10k oil change is becoming more common. I was talking to the Manager of my local Toyota dealer not too long ago. He was telling me that even Toyota is beginning to see more engine problems at the 70k mile mark and up. His discussions with the mother ship indicate that a lot of people there think it's due to the change to a 10k oil change interval. But that may be different than our situation with Audi. The Toyota's use the 0-20w oil which is a much more problematic product. I hope Audi doesn't go that way. But for peace of mind, the 5k oil service is pretty inexpensive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I take A6 to dealer for Oil Change?