Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

SiriusXM Subscription Up- Do I need it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default SiriusXM Subscription Up- Do I need it?

I have a MY 2016 A6. My SiriusXM subscription has expired. My questions are:
  1. Do I need it for Traffic? My undserstanding is that the MY16 uses Inrix which is not Satellite based.
  2. I really don't see the need for satellite radio anymore. With all the smart phone apps for music streaming, news and all others, it's pretty easy to stream from phone over BT.
  3. I also use Waze for "traffic Alerts". In order to get the Waze updates through my audio stream the source has to be Bluetooth which pretty much means I don't access the Satellite Radio.

In the past, Sirius used to give a great yearly price to entice customers to resign, but looks like that deal is no longer available.
Thanks.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I listen to a few business news channels. When my free trial stopped I was offered a 6 months for $24.99. After my 6 months started, I canceled the roll over plan. They offered me another 6 months for the same price so I was able to get 1 year for $49.98. My friend told me to keep doing this. I certainly don't think paying $50 for Sirius music isn't bad at all.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, the going rate for retention is about $5-$6/month. You can get it by I only get it because of Howard Stern. I'm in a rental that the Sirius Traffic, but no radio, so I'm stuck with NPR and streaming music.

For me, easier access to stuff I like to listen to, even though the quality is atrocious.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think your $25 plan is actually a 5 month plan. We did this on the Ody and older A6. Probably worth it for $5/mo., but wouldn't pay for more than that.

I think XM is what provides the data for the traffic on the Nav system. Is that right? It's a separate program if so. I'm new to the C7, so I just don't know.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
I think your $25 plan is actually a 5 month plan. We did this on the Ody and older A6. Probably worth it for $5/mo., but wouldn't pay for more than that.

I think XM is what provides the data for the traffic on the Nav system. Is that right? It's a separate program if so. I'm new to the C7, so I just don't know.
It is 6 months. I did the same with my wife's Mercedes. I think the rates can vary depending on negotiation.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I guess it just varies on what's available. I did the 5 month for a long time as the latest before they let me cancel, but I haven't done it in a while. It seems reasonable that with Internet audio choices that the market continues to be moving down for satellite radio.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
I guess it just varies on what's available. I did the 5 month for a long time as the latest before they let me cancel, but I haven't done it in a while. It seems reasonable that with Internet audio choices that the market continues to be moving down for satellite radio.
I figured that I didn't want to use my data plan from my phone on my car or my wife's car. I would rather use that data on add a device with the AT&T LTE on my car for $10 per month extra. So if my wife and I both stream songs, we might be crunched for data and end up paying more in the long run...
Old 11-17-2015, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, XM is nice. Hard to want to pay more than $5-6/mo though for it.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Nav data comes from Sirius.

Here's a link is used before to get the current offer for you if you don't have Sirius now: https://care.siriusxm.com/winback_view.action.

Looks the like the Sirius offers around are (YMMV):
5mth Select for $20
6mth Select for $25
6mth Select for $30
Old 11-17-2015, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ahh, yes, that's probably right. I think I was throwing in fees on mine to get 5 mo for $25.

Quick Reply: SiriusXM Subscription Up- Do I need it?