Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Smelly car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a similar problem with my car... there's actually a TSB (don't have the number on me right now), but when I took it to my dealer and had that smell they changed the filter for me. Then the TSB says to spray something as well, but the dealer didn't have it in stock so they told me to bring the car back if the smell comes back and that they would order the spray.

Do you turn off AC last minute or so of your drive so moisture can't build up?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...emedy-2908720/

Saw this other thread too...probably worth going through.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we’ve owned since new -no flood. I don’t get it -the manual says nothing about having to run the ac in high before shuttting it off. I’ve been looking just to help solve the problem but it seems the dealer is not interested at all. They say they see it all the time, but can’t show us or fix it then say it’s a one in 10k or something issue and not covered by warranty. I’m not a mechanic but am a little adept - but quite frankly dont feel its normal to have a maybe 2 year old car with few miles on it to smell like dirty laundry. So now you can’t park a car outside without getting a smell? Back to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BobaPanda
I had a similar problem with my car... there's actually a TSB (don't have the number on me right now), but when I took it to my dealer and had that smell they changed the filter for me. Then the TSB says to spray something as well, but the dealer didn't have it in stock so they told me to bring the car back if the smell comes back and that they would order the spray.

Do you turn off AC last minute or so of your drive so moisture can't build up?
I always try to remember to turn off the ac and leave the fan going at the end of a drive. It can't hurt to keep the evaporator coil dry.

Isn't there some product that is sold to spray into the air intake vent to kill fungus?
Old 09-12-2018, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

so is there a "normal" expected length of time condensate should drip from the drain line after being parked and the system turned off? does 15 minutes seem excessive?
Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine
so is there a "normal" expected length of time condensate should drip from the drain line after being parked and the system turned off? does 15 minutes seem excessive?
Running the fan helps to dry off the evaporator and also dry the basin and drains a little but this is a very common issue with cars, despite what your dealer says, and they ought to know how to fix it. I didn't realize it was still under warranty. Have you tried calling Audi customer service and asking them to intervene? I would ask someone to point out to you how this issue is exempt from their written warranty, not just the dealer's opinion about it.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW - To clean up the air box, coils, etc. The factory TSB says to use Airco-Clean in an atomizer like device.

This is the product:
https://www.wynnsusa.com/product/airco-clean/
Old 09-18-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

so I got a call form the dealer yesterday - the car has been there since last Thursday - and they told me that they looked at the car and they could not notice any smell. I guess thats one way to get out of it.....

until this am I also have not received any reply from Audi NA in reference to the email confirmation I sent them re: my appointment - as they requested - or any replies from my Cust service rep there. I tried to call her again this am and her mailbox is full so no more messages. so after bouncing around the voicemail system, from operator message to the usual recordings, no live person to be found, she somehow appeared on the line.... To say the least, she was as surprised as I was! She was very nice and apologetic and said she would call me back but that her hands were tied as the dealers are the ones who make and recommend the repairs. Frustrated I mentioned the below TSB and she said that she could not find anything like that and wanted to know where I got it and that they could not sanction / recognize / whenever... a TSB that was not official but that she would look into it and call back.

REALLY?!??!!
Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine

so I got a call form the dealer yesterday - the car has been there since last Thursday - and they told me that they looked at the car and they could not notice any smell. I guess thats one way to get out of it.....

until this am I also have not received any reply from Audi NA in reference to the email confirmation I sent them re: my appointment - as they requested - or any replies from my Cust service rep there. I tried to call her again this am and her mailbox is full so no more messages. so after bouncing around the voicemail system, from operator message to the usual recordings, no live person to be found, she somehow appeared on the line.... To say the least, she was as surprised as I was! She was very nice and apologetic and said she would call me back but that her hands were tied as the dealers are the ones who make and recommend the repairs. Frustrated I mentioned the below TSB and she said that she could not find anything like that and wanted to know where I got it and that they could not sanction / recognize / whenever... a TSB that was not official but that she would look into it and call back.

REALLY?!??!!
That's the one that says to vaporize the Airco-Clean - which I believe is just 3% hydrogen peroxide. You can get stronger grades of H2O2, but you could discolor upholstery, etc.

87 Unpleasant odor from heating and ventilation system

87 15 64

2010146/13

June 24, 2015

Supersedes Technical Service Bulletin Group 87 number 15-63 dated May 18, 2015 for reasons listed below.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Heard back again from the dealer. I had asked them to put an eye on the evaporator to confirm the source of the smell. Took them over a day to call back and say that it’s not accessible and there is no way for them to see it without taking apart the dash. They also confirmed that Audi knows about the lane keep assist problems we’ve been having but that there is no fix for it. So we seem to have a smelly car and lane keep assist that can’t be fixed.

This stinks...... LITERALLY

Quick Reply: Smelly car