Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Speed Warning

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Warning

Hello All,

I have been trying to figure this out for quite some time now. I recently just purchased a 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige fully loaded. I believe that this vehicle has a speed warning set at 67mph. I have been searching everywhere on how to either raise the speed limit or just disable this all together. If anyone give me general steps on how to do this that would be great, or if there is already a thread/post out there about this that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The speed warning system and how to use it is described in the user manual. There are two speed warnings. One is temporary and resets automatically when you turn off the engine. The second one is permanent and is set in the MMI. It should be under CAR -> Car systems -> Driver assist -> Speed warning. If you don't have your user manual, you can pull it up online using your VIN.

Audi Online Owner's Manual
Old 04-11-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The speed warning system and how to use it is described in the user manual. There are two speed warnings. One is temporary and resets automatically when you turn off the engine. The second one is permanent and is set in the MMI. It should be under CAR -> Car systems -> Driver assist -> Speed warning. If you don't have your user manual, you can pull it up online using your VIN.

Audi Online Owner's Manual
This path will also show you things like interior and exterior lighting and locking that can be adjusted.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

OP - your avatar shows a car that may not be in the US and laws, features and operation may vary from country to country, maybe 67 MPH is the absolute max allowed in your area?

Please post your location, model and relevant options in your signature or under your avatar, this will allow for relevant answers
Old 04-12-2016, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my experience with the Speed Warning it triggers after a 2 mph difference. I have mine set at 80 mph and the alert does not sound until speedo reaches 82 mph. I have a 2012 A6 Prestige with 18 in Conti's and original rims. Guess the speedometer is off by 2 mph.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
OP - your avatar shows a car that may not be in the US and laws, features and operation may vary from country to country, maybe 67 MPH is the absolute max allowed in your area?

Please post your location, model and relevant options in your signature or under your avatar, this will allow for relevant answers
Sorry my avatar is a little misleading there. I have not taken any decent pictures to have uploaded to my PC. I did however look in my owner's manual and found out how to disable/ increase speed warning. It was set at 65mph, but it would always go off once my speedometer hit 67mph. I am assuming this vehicle is off by 2mph.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JLochan
Sorry my avatar is a little misleading there. I have not taken any decent pictures to have uploaded to my PC. I did however look in my owner's manual and found out how to disable/ increase speed warning. It was set at 65mph, but it would always go off once my speedometer hit 67mph. I am assuming this vehicle is off by 2mph.
So you really don't live in a dark alley in England?

BTW- if you set at 65 and drive at 65 then you don't want an alarm so it is to warn you if you are going over the set point and they chose 2 MPH.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most OEMs I believe set the speedo 2-3% below real speed to avoid legal liability on speeding tickets. My old Mercedes has a feature that opens an engineering menu, when it shows real speed that is 3% below what is shown on speedo.

So it is conceivable Audi speedo is below real speed, and 67mph is the real 65mph.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by qqq1970
Most OEMs I believe set the speedo 2-3% below real speed to avoid legal liability on speeding tickets. My old Mercedes has a feature that opens an engineering menu, when it shows real speed that is 3% below what is shown on speedo.

So it is conceivable Audi speedo is below real speed, and 67mph is the real 65mph.
Wandering off topic a bit here, while you can't change the speedometer/odometer reading, with VCDS you can adjust the mpg computer to more closely match actual mpg consumption as shown in the DIS. Most of the time, the DIS mpg is over-reporting from the factory. Also, new tires rarely have the exact same circumeference and may be off a couple of percent.

Correct Consumption in DIS program:

[17 - Instruments] [Adaptation - 10]
Look about 20 items down on the drop-down list for "Correct Consumption" and select it
Change 100 to xxx
Example - if your DIS is consistently off by 7% to your actual calculated mpg:
You RAISE the number to the percentage if DIS is OVER reporting mpg (i.e. 107)
You LOWER the number to the percentage if DIS is UNDER reporting mpg (i.e. 93)

I've been able to get the DIS readout to within a tenth or two mpg using Vag-Com.