AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   To sport or not to sport (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/sport-not-sport-2813486/)

Petero1818 09-21-2011 06:11 AM

To sport or not to sport

Hi all, I am a new member about to pull the trigger on a new A6 order in Canada. I have not been able to drive a S line or Sport package car, but I am considering it. I am coming off a 2008 Cayenne S, so I am no stranger to a "firm ride". When I drove the regular A6 I found found it was smooth as silk, but lacked the rigidness I had become use to in the chasis. Playing with the drive select (if that is what it is called) did not really produce a noticeable change in this regard.
Could people please opine on their experience with the 2012 A6 with sport suspension, and whether 1) it provided a noticeably sportier feel 2)The ride remained comfortable for all

Thanks and look forward to responses.
Peter

joseaudi 09-21-2011 07:17 AM

Never drove a regular a6 but sport feels great. Had it for 3 months now. Much smoother than my previous b8 s4 I have the 19"

PJRed2008 09-21-2011 07:28 AM

Not sure for Canada, but US has 3 sport options, 18, 19 and 20". In addition, there are 4 settings in the car setup, from comfort to dynamic, plus custom where you can set steering, suspension, engine response, not sure what else. I'd say among those options you would find what you're looking for, but it still isn't going to be a Cayenne.

Dedalus 09-21-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by PJRed2008 (Post 24200221)
Not sure for Canada, but US has 3 sport options, 18, 19 and 20". In addition, there are 4 settings in the car setup, from comfort to dynamic, plus custom where you can set steering, suspension, engine response, not sure what else. I'd say among those options you would find what you're looking for, but it still isn't going to be a Cayenne.

Just wanted to point out that US cars do not get the adjustable suspension settings in drive select.

I have the premium plus without the sport package, which rides very smoothly with surprisingly decent handling performance, though it has alot of body roll. I have not driven any sport-equipped versions, so I'm also curious as to how much of a difference it makes in terms of handling, and what the trade-off is in terms of ride quality.

Just for comparison, I know that the sports package on my BMW 3 series transforms it from a mere sporty sedan into a serious sports car, so the ride quality is completely different (as in appropriate for a sports car - lots of controlled feedback). Not sure if the difference is as dramatic in the new A6, but I would doubt it from everything I've read.

PJRed2008 09-21-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dedalus (Post 24200284)
Just wanted to point out that US cars do not get the adjustable suspension settings in drive select.

Curious as to what info you're basing this on. That function is available on my car and is covered in the owners manual. Are you saying the settings can't be changed in Custom?

snagitseven 09-21-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by PJRed2008 (Post 24200319)
Curious as to what info you're basing this on. That function is available on my car and is covered in the owners manual. Are you saying the settings can't be changed in Custom?

This has been discussed previously. In U.S. C7's at least, the only things that are included with the ADS are dynamic steering, shift points and throttle response (the latter two are essentially the same as placing the shift lever in "Sport" mode).
Check the specs on the Audi USA website - there's no mention of dynamic suspension anywhere in the ADS description last time I checked.
Perhaps the manual mentions it as an option for some non-U.S. A6's?

tomk 09-21-2011 11:15 AM

According to the UK order sheet there are two options:

1BE Sports suspension, lowered by 20mm with more firmly tuned springs and dampers for more direct contact with the road. Cost 341.67 pounds. Avilable on the SE and standard on the S Line

1BV S Line Sports suspension with more dynamic suspension tuning and vehicle lowered by a further 10mm (over standard Sports suspension) No charge.
Not available on the SE and Available on the S Line

Dedalus 09-21-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by PJRed2008 (Post 24200319)

Which car do you have? None of the US 2012 A6's come with adjustable/adaptive suspension settings. Did you perhaps pick up your car in Europe, where I believe that is an option? And what is "Custom"? The available settings in Audi Drive Select are Comfort, Auto, Dynamic or Individual.

wjeder 09-21-2011 12:17 PM

Sport package

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2012 A6 with sport package and 20" wheels. I leave my car in "dynamic" mode 98% of the time. I really enjoy the firmness of the ride and do not find it harsh as I've read in some reviews. Quite frankly I'm a hard driver and really enjoy the responsiveness of the 20's with dynamic mode while in sport +.....I wouldn't have it any other way.

I live in Connecticut where the roads are bumpy, with pot holes, constant construction etc. I have zero complaints that the ride is harsh or that it is jarring.

I would however recommend getting road hazard protection. Case in point is that I sliced one of my tires and the tire, made specifically for Audi and my wheels was $500!! after I stopped choking, I replaced the tire then called Audi and was able to purchase the road hazard (I had only owned the car for 1 week!!)

I've attached a picture of my car. The wheels are absolutely beautiful and I get constant compliments on them.

PJRed2008 09-21-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dedalus (Post 24200368)
Which car do you have? None of the US 2012 A6's come with adjustable/adaptive suspension settings. Did you perhaps pick up your car in Europe, where I believe that is an option? And what is "Custom"? The available settings in Audi Drive Select are Comfort, Auto, Dynamic or Individual.

As my sig indicates, I have the US Prestige. The last setting could be Individual, I don't have the car in front of me. If the suspension can't be modified then how is the ride changed between Comfort and Dynamic? I thought the C7 used a magnetic adaptive suspension, same as my C6 Corvette.