Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Standard vs. Sport Suspension - 2015 A6 3.0T (s-line)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard vs. Sport Suspension - 2015 A6 3.0T (s-line)

Hi - I'm purchasing a CPO 2015 A6 3.0T premium pluss, and it has standard suspension and some pretty banged up wheels which I will eventually replace. Seeking some thoughts on the following:

(1) What is the physical difference between standard vs. stock sport suspension for the 2015 Audi A6 s-line.

(2) Are there aftermarket upgrades for this car that are equivalent to sport suspension (from a feel, performance and height perspective)? Could this be accomplished simply with an aftermarket spring?

I have KW Varient 3 Coilovers on my current car (Touareg), but if I'm being honest, I didn't install them and don't know much about suspension generally - I do know that these give the Touareg a super stiff ride, and it does handle more like a sedan.

Any info on either question would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I found before purchasing my A6 with sport suspension, it includes shocks, springs, and sway bars. This makes the car ride about an inch lower, and is much stiffer/tighter. It also includes different wheels at either 19" or 20".

I drove both the standard and the sport suspension version of the A6 3.0, and personally the standard felt very loose and had lots of sway, while the sport version was very tight and felt like a much smaller car, but is still a comfortable ride.

You can certainly get the same result with aftermarket shocks, springs and sway bars, there are plenty of options available. I considered that route myself until I found the perfect car with the sport option. Now I find the OEM sports suspension balances a sporty ride and a comfortable ride pretty well and would be hard to replicate in an aftermarket setup.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I strongly agree with Saad. My A7 with sport suspension is light years more fun to drive than standard. This is my first Audi that I did not immediately change out the shocks and bats. Great tires will also make a big improvement in handling.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I've read a lot of comments from people stating that the sport suspension with 20" wheels is "to stiff" but I personally like the way it handles and rides. Plus it looks sharp too!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you live somewhere where there are a lot of potholes, and bad roads, I'd suggest that the standard suspension will make for a better long term investment (even though a car is usually anything but). Over time, more rattles, and breakages will happen because of those factors. I live in the NYC area, and roads are very bad, and there are many potholes. This year, 3 of the OEM tires needed to be replaced because of road hazard damages. Thankfully, I bought an AudiCare package from the dealer, which most certainly will pay for itself, and aggravate the insurer (the package was about $1600, and they've already replaced 4 tires, at $245 each). I bought a set of winter tires (Michelin X-Ice), and a set of wheels for them. I always buy the road hazard insurance for the tires, and I had to replace 3 of them because of road hazards over the last winter. Because I got the insurance, I only paid about $45 each, which included shipping, mounting, balancing, and the price increase on the tires since I had bought them. BIG savings. If I had larger wheels, I would probably be out even more, and the ride would suffer dramatically.

So it's really dependent upon many things, and the choice is yours.

Last edited by Nakedhoof; 12-12-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

I am a big fan of the sport suspension with the 19” season dedicated tires
Old 12-12-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am a big fan of the sport suspension with the 19” season dedicated tires
I am a big fan of the selectable suspension as found in the S6 but for some dumb reason it is not marketed in the US. I find the sport suspension too hard for comfortable driving and the regular suspension too soft for spirited driving. You have to choose your preference before buying the car.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
If you live somewhere where there are a lot of potholes, and bad roads, I'd suggest that the standard suspension will make for a better long term investment (even though a car is usually anything but). Over time, more rattles, and breakages will happen because of those factors. I live in the NYC area, and roads are very bad, and there are many potholes. This year, 3 of the OEM tires needed to be replaced because of road hazard damages. Thankfully, I bought an AudiCare package from the dealer, which most certainly will pay for itself, and aggravate the insurer (the package was about $1600, and they've already replaced 4 tires, at $245 each). I bought a set of winter tires (Michelin X-Ice), and a set of wheels for them. I always buy the road hazard insurance for the tires, and I had to replace 3 of them because of road hazards over the last winter. Because I got the insurance, I only paid about $45 each, which included shipping, mounting, balancing, and the price increase on the tires since I had bought them. BIG savings. If I had larger wheels, I would probably be out even more, and the ride would suffer dramatically.

So it's really dependent upon many things, and the choice is yours.
they tried hard to sell me the road hazard tire package when I purchased my 16 A6 and just recently, my 18 E400 Coupe. I laughed at them saying, “ I’m from NYC, the roads here in SWFL are like glass compared to where I come from.” Next!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When we retire to Florida, I won't be bothered with such things, either

Originally Posted by dudley@07726
they tried hard to sell me the road hazard tire package when I purchased my 16 A6 and just recently, my 18 E400 Coupe. I laughed at them saying, “ I’m from NYC, the roads here in SWFL are like glass compared to where I come from.” Next!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
When we retire to Florida, I won't be bothered with such things, either
Your golf cart will handle the bumps in FL without need for the warranty.😄

Quick Reply: Standard vs. Sport Suspension - 2015 A6 3.0T (s-line)