Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Submitting Build Order next week - Talk to me about the 19in vs 20in Rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Submitting Build Order next week - Talk to me about the 19in vs 20in Rims

The specs of the car that I want are as follows:
2014 Prestige, Daytona Gray, Black Interior, Black Headliner, Cold Weather Package, Driver Assist pkg, LEDs. All those items are locked solid. Where I'm struggling is with the wheels.

We love the look (design) of the 20 inch rims. Don't love the look (design) of the 19in rims.

I live in CO. The car will may be my daily driver, dependent upon whether I keep my 10 year old Altima.

Obviously it snows here, can be cold and icy. The majority of my driving is a highway/tollway commute to work.

If i upgrade the tires on the 20's from the Pzeros to some quality all season tires, will that suffice for Colorado driving?

Is there a difference in the feel and handling between driving a the 20's vs. 19s?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the 19s and replaced with 20s. A few observations. First the factory Continental 19 all season are average tires, but give a comfy ride. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 20 s. The Michelin have been acing all the current reviews. I r an the 19s at 42-44 psi and the Michelins at 41-40. The Michelins have a more responsive. Ride, but you feel some harshness. I may drop them another 2 psi. Can"t speak to snow, but they ride and handle great, very comfy, but not as comfy as the stock tires. If I had this to do again, I might get the 19 Hartmann wheels instead of the 20s and stil go with the Michelins. Considering I do not have the sport package I think the set up I have works well, car corners well, steering response is as tight as this dumb Audi steering can be and ride is comfy. On less than ideal roads you feel the harshness of 20 inch shorter side walls and full load psi pressure, but I love it so far and get compliments from stranger all the time on the wheels. You can always takes the stock 18’s and replace them loom at Lexani Lust wheels I think they look just like the Audi 20s, but with black inserts and nice look.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

First off, having previously lived on CO for over 20 years, I know the snow can get pretty deep at times. If you're planning on driving in more than 4" of snow with the A6, all seasons will not be ideal - dedicated snow tires would be advisable. If you go that route and decide on having them mounted on different wheels, 18" would probably be the best choice for winter w/dedicated snows. Then you could run with the 20" summer tires for the rest of the year.

Note that with the 20", there will be a moderate decrease in ride comfort compared to the 19" due to the decreased sidewall rubber. As I recall, the roads in Colorado, for the most part, don't have too many potholes but be aware, the larger the wheel, the less the tire sidewall and pothole avoidance becomes important. Benefit going with 18" wheels for snow tires is better handling in deep snow, less chance for road damage, lower cost for both tires and wheels and less chance for wheel damage changing the tires with one set of wheels twice a year.

If you decide you don't want two sets of tires and wheels and prefer the 20", consider the Conti DWS UHP all seasons. They are available in the A6 OEM 20" size, are highly rated and seem to come out with the best overall rating for moderate snow performance.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Keithl and Snagit for the responses. Both are very helpful. I was trying to avoid having 2 sets of tires, but considering the winter road conditions here in CO, it would make sense to have 18in Winter Tires and 20 with Summer Performance tires.

Now as far as building the car, I assume I would build the car with the 20 inch Spots package/tires and go out and purchase 18 inch wheels with Winter tires and a fitment kit, correct? Is this something I should do through the dealer or independently online?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Stick with the 18s and put snow tires on them. When things thaw, go for 19s. I'm in love with the S6 replicas from Hartmann that "keithl" has on his A6...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=557

I placed an order last week and I stuck with 18s for winter. I'll deal with summer tires later - no rush anyway since the car won't arrive until winter.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or order the car with 18''s and then go their party, check out Hartmann wheels they have very good Audi replica wheels. Check out my garage those are Hartman on my A6.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you go with 18s on the initial build, don't you sacrafice the Sports suspension?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shell4624
If you go with 18s on the initial build, don't you sacrafice the Sports suspension?
Yes.

But they allow an order for 19" wheels on the standard suspension. The 20" option requires the sport package.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks again! You all have been most helpful! Keithl those Hartman wheels are NICE! Your car looks amazing! #CANNOTWAIT!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

If you;re willing to give up just a bit of ride comfort, the Sport package with 19" or 20" is really a great match for the A6. Makes the car much more responsive in handling, less body roll and mucho fun in the twisties - would be especially fun in the Co mountains.

Quick Reply: Submitting Build Order next week - Talk to me about the 19in vs 20in Rims