Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Which Subscription Services are you going to keep?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Subscription Services are you going to keep?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there are 3:

T-Mobie $30/mo (plus probably another 10-15 in taxes/fees?)

Satellite SiriusXM Radio (around $10/mo if you pay for a full year?...plus taxes/fees of ??)

Satellite--other (SiriusXM real time traffic, weather). Not sure of cost on this since I most likely wouldn't get it.

Which services do you plan to extend? Looks like at a minimum, with subscriptions to 2 of the 3, expect an additional $55-60 per month? (~$720 per year)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maroon
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there are 3:

T-Mobie $30/mo (plus probably another 10-15 in taxes/fees?)

Satellite SiriusXM Radio (around $10/mo if you pay for a full year?...plus taxes/fees of ??)

Satellite--other (SiriusXM real time traffic, weather). Not sure of cost on this since I most likely wouldn't get it.

Which services do you plan to extend? Looks like at a minimum, with subscriptions to 2 of the 3, expect an additional $55-60 per month? (~$720 per year)
I would go for option 1 but we should check if the 30$ is the minimum plan, we don't need 5 gig data, 1 to 2 gig will be good enough for the car.

I think ATT has 2 gig plan for 20 but that is for iphones not sure if it applies to cars.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

att doesn't support 3g in the car. Tmobile uses a different mhz range for the 3g then att but it does work on 2g
Old 10-16-2011, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Traffic is the most important

Google earth is cool but not a necessity since the stock 3d nav we already have . Sirius music is user dependent, I've always kept it. Have had it for 7 years now. Have you heard fm radio lately? Poor selection. Traffic however is most useful if you live in big cities, since tha nav can guide you around the trouble spots.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

correct me if im wrong but isnt traffic reports now through t-mobile 3G?

Im finding it pretty useless, i like the traffic but not for 30 bucks a month. So i think the only subscriptions are Sirius/T-Mobile.

I will most definitely keep Sirius, but im going to call them up to cancel it a month before my trial runs out, when i do this they always give it to me for around 4 bucks a month

Im curious if any one has tried taking there sim card out of there tmobile phone and used it in the car? i really wish audi had chosen ATT rather then tmobile. Seems like the better option. Of course of the SEC lets the deal go through it wont matter.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that it matters but I'm with VZW and have a MIFI hotspot device which allows up to 5 devices to connect. I get 5gb of data for $50/mo (pricey I know but I need it for work) but it's super small and easily fits into a shirt pocket. Why pay T-mobile or anyone $30/mo for "car specific" internet services? I just don't understand what the advantage is turning the car into a hotspot over having a mobile hotspot device that you can use in & out of the car. Pretty sure I don't have to have google maps on the nav to find my way to work.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
correct me if im wrong but isnt traffic reports now through t-mobile 3G?
I believe you should be corrected The traffic service is from Sirius and you have to pay them, its delivered via T-Mobile. I couldn't get a price for that service after the trial (they extended mine to 6 months) so will have to see. I like Sirius radio but won't pay more than $90/year, but thats not up until next June because I switched over what I had from my '08.

I agree with most, the Google earth is nice but I'd really rather have the POI's displayed. I've played around with the Google local search and haven't been real impressive with accuracy, and we don't travel that much anyway. I may haggle with T-Mobile to see what they're willing to do, and will most likely not renew the Sirius service unless they make it very attractive.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
Why pay T-mobile or anyone $30/mo for "car specific" internet services?
I'd say the hotspot thing is more a selling point for someone who would buy an A8L or someone with teen kids who takes them on trips and wants to keep them quiet.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
I'd say the hotspot thing is more a selling point for someone who would buy an A8L or someone with teen kids who takes them on trips and wants to keep them quiet.
You can also activate and cancel as you wish. This is good if you plan on going a bit of a road trip and have some passengers that would love to have wi-fi.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Blackz06
You can also activate and cancel as you wish. This is good if you plan on going a bit of a road trip and have some passengers that would love to have wi-fi.
The only way they can retain subscriptions is to decrease the cap on the data transfer and price.

2 gig-20$

Quick Reply: Which Subscription Services are you going to keep?