Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options

While there have been several threads discussing T-Mobile, AT&T, modem frequencies, switching carriers, speeds, alternatives, etc., I thought it would be useful to provide a summary in one place with a new thread.

C7 Audis with Nav Plus Audi Connect Carrier Compatibility:

Pre-MY2014: T-Mobile 3G OR AT&T 2G only ("old" 3G modem")
see below

MY2014-2015: T-Mobile 3G OR AT&T 3G ("new" 3G modem)

MY2016: AT&T 4G LTE (as equipped on delivery new; T-Mobile 3G will also work)

Sim Card: Audi uses a standard "Mini" card; if the carrier supplies the smaller "Micro" or "Nano" card, an inexpensive adapter can be used in the MMI sim slot.

Switching from T-Mobile to AT&T:

If you are going to an AT&T store, the easiest solution is to bring a tablet along to avoid the potential hassle of the MMI IMEI not qualifying for activation. The least expensive AT&T direct plan is adding a device to an AT&T Family Share plan if already an AT&T subscriber (currently $10 per month). Even easier and potentially less expensive if not already an AT&T subscriber, is using TruPhone as noted below.

* Modem Update for C7 MY2012/2013:

For MY2012-2013 C7 Audis with Nav Plus Audi Connect: in a very few locales this year, T-Mobile is changing their 3G (the same 3G frequency as used by AT&T). If you live in one of those locales, you should receive letters from AoA and T-Mobile directing you to select Audi dealers which will retrofit your 5F MMI module to accommodate the new 3G frequency. Once updated, you can switch to AT&T 3G if desired. Note that this update will not accommodate LTE 4G.

Here is a list of locales affected so far:
Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston among major T-Mobile markets having their AWS 3G/4G networks shut down this summer » TmoNews

Alternatives to AT&T or T-Mobile (direct):

TruPhone: uses T-Mobile OR AT&T networks:
3G (AT&T 4G LTE for MY2016 only)
Pay for use at flat $.09 per MB
Sim cost $15 net after $15 credit
Truphone | US Prepaid SIM

US Mobile: uses T-Mobile network only:
3G only at this writing
Month to month plans starting at 100MB for $4.70, 250MB for $7.70, etc.;
Sim cost $5.99
(Potentially the least expensive option for T-Mobile 3G).
https://gousmobile.com/

Data Usage:

If you mainly do online destinations, check the weather, gas prices, etc., you might get by with <100MB per month (I can using US Mobile). If you regularly use Google Earth outside of your area (about a 20 mile radius), data can soar quickly to 250MB and probably more per month as the car's hard drive cache is always being refreshed with the Earth downloads. Using in-car wifi hot spot can also be a significant data consumer.

Last edited by snagitseven; 11-01-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just activated the T-Mobile SIM card in my '15 directly with Audi Connect. I paid for a 1-year plan in advance for $199, or about $17/month. Not sure if I'm doing it the most cost effective or easiset way but with all the different options out there this seemed to be the least pain free way for me to do it. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4.2 Dreamer
I just activated the T-Mobile SIM card in my '15 directly with Audi Connect. I paid for a 1-year plan in advance for $199, or about $17/month. Not sure if I'm doing it the most cost effective or easiset way but with all the different options out there this seemed to be the least pain free way for me to do it. Thanks for the post.
When your year is up, try out US Mobile if the T-Mobile network is works well in your area. You go online, order a card and when it comes in the mail it couldn't be esier to activate the sim and pop it into your car with just one change in the MMI setup. Will probably run you about half of what you're paying now (depending on how much you use Google Earth out of your area each month).
Old 09-22-2015, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2016 and T-Mobile

You can use a T-Mobile sim card with a 2016, at least in SoCal. I had a remaining month on my T-Mobile SIM from my previous car, so I tried it on the 2016 and it worked fine (and the speeds were faster than they were on the 2013 as verified by speedtest over wifi) even though it was an Audi T-Mobile SIM.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mikem33
You can use a T-Mobile sim card with a 2016, at least in SoCal. I had a remaining month on my T-Mobile SIM from my previous car, so I tried it on the 2016 and it worked fine (and the speeds were faster than they were on the 2013 as verified by speedtest over wifi) even though it was an Audi T-Mobile SIM.
There's really no "Audi" sim card. It's sourced from the carrier, in your case, T-Mobile. Since the MY2016 has all the T-Mobile and AT&T 3G frequencies, either 3G sim will work. AFAIK however, only an AT&T 4G LTE sim will work in a MY2016 C7.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free T-Mobile 3G Data, maybe LTE

I don't know if this has been shared before, so please delete if it's a repeat.

I was using a AT&T $10 tablet plan, but just didn't think I used the data enough to justify the cost.

I just got a Prepaid T-Mobile Data plan that comes with 200MB of data for the life of the account. Paid $0.99 plus tax for the SIM via the T-Mobile website. Once I received the card, called the number, told them I wanted the data only plan, confirmed 200 MB free, no money needed (only upon activation in the promo), even provided my IMEI number from the Audi. T-mobile didn't see the it as a car, and activated it. My first call to activate was set up as a cell phone incorrectly, and they offered me $10 in prepaid credits which was able to get me a promo offer of 5GB/month for 6 months.

All said, I got plenty of free data for 6 months, then 200 MB after that. My daily commute is about 15 miles each way so should be plenty for most months. I'm assuming if I ever go over, the data would stop coming through or they would move me to 2G...but I'll deal with that when I get there.

T-Mobile link: Unlocked Tablets | Tablets with Free Mobile Internet Data | BYOD | T-Mobile
T-Mobile SIM: Prepaid SIM Card Starter Kit | 3 in 1 Phone SIM Card Kit | T-Mobile
Old 10-23-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't use Google Earth. That 200mb won't last long.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T mobile data plan not working.

I just activate new t mobile data plan with new Sim card. But it's not working.
I try to change apn but keep going back to old apn m2m.t-mobile.com
I need a help to make data work on my 2013 a6 prestige. And I updated at the dealer for 3g service.

[QUOTE=snagitseven;24722030]While there have been several threads discussing T-Mobile, AT&T, modem frequencies, switching carriers, speeds, alternatives, etc., I thought it would be useful to provide a summary in one place with a new thread.

C7 Audis with Nav Plus Audi Connect Carrier Compatibility:

Pre-MY2014: T-Mobile 3G OR AT&T 2G only ("old" 3G modem")
see below

MY2014-2015: T-Mobile 3G OR AT&T 3G ("new" 3G modem)

MY2016: AT&T 4G LTE (as equipped on delivery new; T-Mobile 3G will also work)

Sim Card: Audi uses a standard "Mini" card; if the carrier supplies the smaller "Micro" or "Nano" card, an inexpensive adapter can be used in the MMI sim slot.

Switching from T-Mobile to AT&T:

If you are going to an AT&T store, the easiest solution is to bring a tablet along to avoid the potential hassle of the MMI IMEI not qualifying for activation. The least expensive AT&T direct plan is adding a device to an AT&T Family Share plan if already an AT&T subscriber (currently $10 per month). Even easier and potentially less expensive if not already an AT&T subscriber, is using TruPhone as noted below.

* Modem Update for C7 MY2012/2013:

For MY2012-2013 C7 Audis with Nav Plus Audi Connect: in a very few locales this year, T-Mobile is changing their 3G (the same 3G frequency as used by AT&T). If you live in one of those locales, you should receive letters from AoA and T-Mobile directing you to select Audi dealers which will retrofit your 5F MMI module to accommodate the new 3G frequency. Once updated, you can switch to AT&T 3G if desired. Note that this update will not accommodate LTE 4G.

Here is a list of locales affected so far:
Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston among major T-Mobile markets having their AWS 3G/4G networks shut down this summer » TmoNews

Alternatives to AT&T or T-Mobile (direct):

TruPhone: uses T-Mobile OR AT&T networks:
3G (AT&T 4G LTE for MY2016 only)
Pay for use at flat $.09 per MB
Sim cost $15 net after $15 credit
Truphone | US Prepaid SIM

US Mobile: uses T-Mobile network only:
3G only at this writing
Month to month plans starting at 100MB for $4.70, 250MB for $7.70, etc.;
Sim cost $5.99
(Potentially the least expensive option for T-Mobile 3G).
https://gousmobile.com/

Data Usage:

If you mainly do online destinations, check the weather, gas prices, etc., you might get by with
Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wwichris
I just activate new t mobile data plan with new Sim card. But it's not working.
I try to change apn but keep going back to old apn m2m.t-mobile.com
I need a help to make data work on my 2013 a6 prestige. And I updated at the dealer for 3g service.
Have you tried calling T-Mobile?
BTW, there is no need to repeat all the original post content when you reply or make a new post.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I did call t-mobile tech to get help. They could not figure it out. And Gave me the number for the audi.

Quick Reply: Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options