Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a SIM card from AT&T, added to my family share plan. $30 (rip off) for activation. I told them it was for a tablet (but don't own one). They could not activate it under the 1GB per month plan for $10 per month, because a tablet/device serial number was required; however, they were able to activate it under the unlimited plan for $20 per month.

I plan on downgrading to the 1GB plan. 1 GB per month is plenty correct?

This will be tested tomorrow in a 2014 A6 TDI. Will let you know what happens ... all advice / suggestions at this point are welcome. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Sweeney
I just picked up a SIM card from AT&T, added to my family share plan. $30 (rip off) for activation. I told them it was for a tablet (but don't own one). They could not activate it under the 1GB per month plan for $10 per month, because a tablet/device serial number was required; however, they were able to activate it under the unlimited plan for $20 per month.

I plan on downgrading to the 1GB plan. 1 GB per month is plenty correct?

This will be tested tomorrow in a 2014 A6 TDI. Will let you know what happens ... all advice / suggestions at this point are welcome. Thanks!
I plugged it in and it worked. No problems at all. Also discovered that the info option works ... weather, news, etc. That was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Stephen Sweeney; 10-08-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Can anyone confirm whether US Mobile still offers a service that works with the 2012 (2G) modem? It looks like FreedomPop is moving to LTE-only as of this month, so I imagine a lot of people will be looking for the next best thing.

And if US Mobile isn't an option, has anyone had luck with T-Mobile? I've been told that their LTE SIM will drop down to 2G, but haven't yet confirmed. It's my understanding that FreedomPOP used the T-Mobile network, so fingers crossed that T-Mobile may offer a solution.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I chatted for a few minutes with US Mobile about compatibility. Their GSM LTE SIMs are compatible with 2G/3G,4G devices. I ordered a Starter Kit ($3.99) and will have it in a few days, so I'll let you know. Chat with them a bit and they will volunteer a Promo Code to reduce the kit price to $0.00 - my kind of price! Create an account as you check out (credit card required), enter the promo code and you're on your way. I plan to purchase a data-only plan. 200MB for $5/month, and take it from there, depending on how my driving range uses data. If you use it up for the month, you just jump online and upgrade your plan for more data.

I will activate SIM online via the created US Mobile account created during checkout, then insert it into the car. Done.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Also, the US Mobile starter kit includes both GSM LTE (T-Mobile network) and Super LTE (Verizon network) SIM cards, with Micro/Mini/Nano punch-out SIMs.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent! Thanks much. This is consistent with what I've learned, so I'm cautiously optimistic. My SIM is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a successful, relatively straightforward result.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, we finally used up the free data that came with the car after about 3 years ( about 5 gigs total). It lasted this length of time because we left the google maps off and did not have anyone in the car using the data for their phones, laptops, tablets, etc. I called Audi and subscribed to their 1 gig per month AT&T plan at $10/ month. This is more data than we need for the car. We mainly like the traffic info more than anything else. I am glad that the price has come down. When I had my 2012 Touareg TDI, I was able to get Sirius traffic for only $3/month which worked very well.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My Freedompop service was turned off recently as well. About 1 or 2 months before that, I could not do online searches for a destination but all other functions worked. Audi connect would load and Google Earth worked.

I received the US mobile SIM and it seems that only Google Earth works.
Audi Connect and online destinations will just time out and give an error.
The SIM showed and APN of m2m.t-mobile.com initially but I changed it to pwg as others have mentioned.
Does anyone have all services working with the US mobile SIM?

Old 12-27-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same Boat

I am in the same boat with you. Audiconnect works only sporadically and is slow as death when it does work. Google Earth works fine.
Please let me know if you solve this.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by csviegas
My Freedompop service was turned off recently as well. About 1 or 2 months before that, I could not do online searches for a destination but all other functions worked. Audi connect would load and Google Earth worked.

I received the US mobile SIM and it seems that only Google Earth works.
Audi Connect and online destinations will just time out and give an error.
The SIM showed and APN of m2m.t-mobile.com initially but I changed it to pwg as others have mentioned.
Does anyone have all services working with the US mobile SIM?
As I've reported earlier, US Mobile stopped working for just about all of the Audi Connect services a couple of years ago. I can't offer an explanation of why US Mobile appears to continues to connect for some or that Google Earth works for anyone. Perhaps its a regional thing.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-29-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options