Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Swapping Xenon light bulbs

Old 08-20-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping Xenon light bulbs

I am thinking about swapping my stock 4300k D3S with Ultinon 6000k. Did a search but could not find any instructions. Has anyone done it? Dont feel like going to the dealer for bulbs swap.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Guess I will have to figure it out myself and provide a DIY. Just ordered a pair of 6000k Philips Ultinon. If I am able to swap them this weekend, I will post something up.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Banned

Keep in mind that 6000k is dimmer than 4300k. You're giving up light output for color. The Ultinons are actually about 5800K and are 800 Lumen dimmer than the stock 4300K (3200 vs 2400lm).
Old 08-26-2014, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Keep in mind that 6000k is dimmer than 4300k. You're giving up light output for color. The Ultinons are actually about 5800K and are 800 Lumen dimmer than the stock 4300K (3200 vs 2400lm).
I understand the light output reduction going to a higher temperature color. I believe 2400 lumen still give me plenty of light on the road. I used to have 6000k xenon in the past without any issue regardless of the weather. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
I am thinking about swapping my stock 4300k D3S with Ultinon 6000k. Did a search but could not find any instructions. Has anyone done it? Dont feel like going to the dealer for bulbs swap.

Thanks.
You do realize that changing to higher temp HID bulb not only reduces it lumens but changes the headlights beam shape so that more light is scattered and will affect oncoming drivers. Because HID's produce so much more lumens than previous headlight designs it is very important that the projected beam shape be more precisely controlled to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
You do realize that changing to higher temp HID bulb not only reduces it lumens but changes the headlights beam shape so that more light is scattered and will affect oncoming drivers. Because HID's produce so much more lumens than previous headlight designs it is very important that the projected beam shape be more precisely controlled to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.
I have heard of HID in a reflector can blind oncoming traffic but not changing color temperature in a projector housing. Mind to give more detail? My cutoff line after swapping the bulbs remains unchanged as shown in the photo below.

Anyway, I finished swapping the bulbs in less than an hour. No front bumper removal or jacking up your car. You will need a 1/4" ratchet with a T20 Torx screw bit. I'll start with the more difficult passenger side. Reason being, you have no access to the light housing from the top due to the airbox.

Step 1. Turn the steering all the way to the left

Step 2. Remove these 3 Torx screws.

Step 3. Remove this Torx screw, then the rubber cover as shown below.

(note that photo is showing the right side but they are similar)

Step 4. Once the rubber cover is removed, you'll see the back of the light housing. The housing cover is secured by 2 T20 Torx screws at the bottom. The Torx screw on the inside (towards the motor) is difficult to remove due to limited space. However, you can push the obstacle back to get more space.

Step 5. Once the housing cover is removed, you'll see the stock D3S light bulb as shown below. The light bulb is held on with a green bracket.

Step 6. Remove the connector by pulling it down genly.

Step 7. Removing the stock light bulb. Grab the green bracket and rotate counter clockwise. The light bulb should come out easily.

Step 8. Removing the light bulb from the bracket. The bracket is securing the light bulb on a snap feature as shown below. Press on the tab, the bracket and pull it open. Be careful not to drop the light bulb. See below.

Step 7. Place the new D3S and make sure the 2 notches are aligned with the bracket. I do not have a photo to show that but you cant miss it.

Step 8. Place the new D3S into the light housing by turning it clockwise. You should hear a click to ensure it is securely tightened. The connector on the new D3S should be facing down.

Step 9. Turn on the ignition and head light to ensure the bulb is working.

Step 10. Put the light housing cover back, then the rubber cover and finally the 3 Torx screws.

Step 11. Do the same on the driver side and do not forget to turn your steering wheel to the right!

The driver's side is piece of cake because you can remove the light housing cover from the top.

The Ultinon 6000k is not really a 6000k. The difference is very subtle compared to the stock Osram 4300k. It is more like 5000k. The photo below may not show the yellowish light output but it is not as blue as I would have expected it to be.

One last photo. Osram vs Philips

That's it!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post on changing the bulbs.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by James517
Thanks for the post on changing the bulbs.
No problem! I was quoted $132+tax from the dealer to swap them
Old 08-29-2014, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
I have heard of HID in a reflector can blind oncoming traffic but not changing color temperature in a projector housing. Mind to give more detail? My cutoff line after swapping the bulbs remains unchanged as shown in the photo below.
The higher the bulb temperature the higher the frequency of the light. The housing for the OEM bulb is designed to provide optimal light beam focus for the OEM bulbs temp/freq. By going to higher temp/freq. bulb the light beams focus is affected and will cause an increase in glare for oncoming traffic something you can not detect simply by looking at the light projected on your garage door. I have encountered many vehicles that have changed their HID bulbs to a higher temp bulb and have been had my night vision temporarily affected by them. It is generally pretty easy to tell when someone has gone to higher temp bulb by the how much more blue there is in the light beam.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if the oncoming driver fails to dim his lights, I avoid having my night vision affected by temporarily staring at the "Fog line" on the right side of my lane rather than continuing to look straight ahead. I only have to do that for a few seconds until the other car passes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping Xenon light bulbs