Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Swapping Xenon light bulbs

Old 12-17-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i came across this post today and im wondering do you know how the H1 bulb socket comes out? is it just a twist and pull or do i need to unscrew something?
Old 12-17-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Four<>circles
hi i came across this post today and im wondering do you know how the H1 bulb socket comes out? is it just a twist and pull or do i need to unscrew something?
It's a 35W D3S bulb. It comes with the ballast, base and bulb already assembled.

http://www.hidxenonlights.com/images/D3SPhilips.jpg
Old 12-18-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Matrix LED's is way to go unless the laser system proves itself. If we can get the NHTSA to dissolve then we can use the latest technology and save money by not having to pay an antiquated government agency.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but just a thanks to you for this one, perfect instructions and made swapping my lights out today easy. Getting the cover back on with the tabs at the top proved to be the trick, woulda made a Marine blush with what came out of my mouth LOL but finally got them back on there

Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zukracer
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but just a thanks to you for this one, perfect instructions and made swapping my lights out today easy. Getting the cover back on with the tabs at the top proved to be the trick, woulda made a Marine blush with what came out of my mouth LOL but finally got them back on there

Thanks again!
As a matter of fact, i had to search for this thread to review how i did it when one of my 6000k bulbs gave in few weeks ago lol.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be an old resurrected thread but it sure helped me out since my drivers side headlight went out this morning. Got the warning in the dash this morning and it is quite noticeable that the headlamp is not on. Got home and my VCDS confirmed it's an electrical failure so I just ordered two HID's from HIDconcepts dot com. I wasn't sure which color or "K" the OEM HID was (somewhere around 4300 or 4250...I think) so they helped me out. Just going to follow the install plan here when they arrive. I wonder how many times this thread has been used as a guide for those of us that have to replace the HID's ?
VCDS output:
1 Fault Found:
00978 - Lamp for Low Beam; Left (M29)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 5
Reset counter: 32
Mileage: 82984 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2018.03.28
Time: 06:31:00
Old 06-08-2018, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

One week after I paid the Audi shop $420 to change the left side bulb on my 2012 A6, the right side fault indicator came on... I found original Osram bulbs on Amazon for $70, so will attempt the change myself. Thanks for the write-up!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
The higher the bulb temperature the higher the frequency of the light. The housing for the OEM bulb is designed to provide optimal light beam focus for the OEM bulbs temp/freq. By going to higher temp/freq. bulb the light beams focus is affected and will cause an increase in glare for oncoming traffic something you can not detect simply by looking at the light projected on your garage door. I have encountered many vehicles that have changed their HID bulbs to a higher temp bulb and have been had my night vision temporarily affected by them. It is generally pretty easy to tell when someone has gone to higher temp bulb by the how much more blue there is in the light beam.
True that the bulb temperature and frequency are correlated. However, the projector's optics are not based on that bulb's temperature/frequency. The projector's light projection/distribution is based on the optics of that unit. The dynamics of the bulb design and emitting light portion in relation to the reflector bowl and the projector lens. Changing from a 3200k D3S to a 5000k D3S does nothing to disturb that bulb/projector relationship. However, the difference in the color of the bulb's light projected does make a difference as certain colours of the light spectrum travel further or are seen easier by the human eye thereby giving the impression there's more usable light getting down the road to the driver. This has nothing to do with oncoming traffic and potential blinding due to a splashing or scattering of light. Why, because the optics of the projector have retained that oem cut-off line on the horizon. That cut-off line is totally controlled by the cut-off shield or more commonly called the colour shield. When looking directly at a projector's light and then slightly moving your viewing angle up or down you can see at a certain point a change in the colour of the light projected. That point at which you see that change in colour is the cut-off point of the colour shield. All projectors have this. That colour is usually very blue-ish. If you've ever watched oncoming newer cars with HID projectors, and at a fairly good distance away you probably see a very blue-ish colour. As that oncoming car gets closer, that blue-ish light turns more white to the point it's pure white. This is because the headlights when properly aimed have that thin blue-ish strip at the top of the beam pattern and your eyes are seeing that because those headlights are properly aimed. As that oncoming car passes by, it may look blue-ish again for that brief few seconds as they pass. Again this is caused by seeing the trailing edge of light from those colour shields.
The amount or degree or thickness of that blue-ish cut-off section can be thicker or thinner based on the optics of that projector. Specifically, the distance of th colour / cut-off shield in relation to the lens and the reflector bowl. Some projectors have an adjustable colour shield while others are fixed. The order of components in the HID projector is - Reflector bowl / xenon bulb / cut-off/colour shield / lens.
There's plenty of info to refer to on www.hidplanet.com\
So in summary, changing to a different colour xenon bulb will not change the dispersed beam pattern. The amount of light projected is determined by the lumen output of that bulb.
It should also be noted that almost all quality oem HID systems use a 35W ballast source. Xenon bulbs can be driven at a higher wattage which in turn will increase the lumen output. A 4300k bulb delivering 3200 lumen can deliver nearly 4500 lumen when driven by a 50W ballast. And we're talking about quality xenons from Philips or Osram.
Search Philips DL-50 Fatboy or Philips DL-70 Skinnyboy
Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2

Post #4, #13, #14
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...light=A6%20D3S