Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Sway bars & shocks for non sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sway bars & shocks for non sport

I'm posting this in the A6 forum just because there is more traffic here. I'm trying to decide between two 2016 A7s. Both are Prestige models and both have factory 20" wheel packages. But one does not have the sport package. I have a 2015 now with the sport package and I really noticed the difference in steering response and slop in quick maneuvers without it. But it's a tough call on which color I kike better between the cars.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with replacing the shocks and sway bars? I have no interest in lowering the car, but I see that Bilstein Sport shocks are available. How easy are the shocks to replace? How about sway bars?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

My take on this is it's important to match the suspension components. Addidng firmer shocks without changing the suspension could degrade the car's balance as the engineers designed for the car.

My experience with other cars is a larger ARB in the rear can help with body roll but won't do a whole lot for turn in crispness. A larger ARB in the front is usually not recommended due to possibly creating an oversteer condition.

If it was me (it isn't), I'd definitely lean towards the car with the sport package, especially since you have enjoyed it in your current Audi.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My take on this is it's important to match the suspension components. Addidng firmer shocks without changing the suspension could degrade the car's balance as the engineers designed for the car.

My experience with other cars is a larger ARB in the rear can help with body roll but won't do a whole lot for turn in crispness. A larger ARB in the front is usually not recommended due to possibly creating an oversteer condition.

If it was me (it isn't), I'd definitely lean towards the car with the sport package, especially since you have enjoyed it in your current Audi.
I've actually had outstanding results in the past with upgrading a base suspension on a Corvette with nothing but Bilstein Sports. That car I even autocrossed several times and finished second overall in a group of 30 Corvettes. I certainly agree that well matched components are preferable of course. But the reality is that this car is used almost solely for committing in and around the Houston area. So it doesn't see any real winding roads. I just need it from getting sloppy on a simple lane change.

I've seen your posts for quite a while and I do respect your opinion. But I don't thing tweaking the shocks is going to have any negative effects, and my experience backs that up. I've actually upgraded only shocks on several vehicles over the years.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I understand your positive experience with the Corvette. I was only saying that Audi engineers spend gobs of time and resources tuning the suspension of our cars and I think any mods done halfway could hamper that to some degree. I guess I'm just very pleased with the end overall result of the sport package with 19" wheels as designed and do not feel the need to mess with it. (I don't track my car).

If you go with the non-Sport and all you're trying to do is reduce body roll, perhaps a thicker rear ARB would be all you need. (I added the OEM sport rear ARB to my non-sport '01 A6 back when and it helped with roll quite a bit). I guess you could upgrade the shocks afterward if that didn't give you the desired result.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Problem solved. Committed to the one with the sport suspension. I pick it up in a few days. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Problem solved. Committed to the one with the sport suspension. I pick it up in a few days. Thanks for your thoughts.
Good choice. I have a feeling you wouldn't have been as happy with the non-sport having already had one with it.

Question: are you getting a second A7 or trading the 2015 in? If trading, why so soon? If keeping the 2015, are you just going to use one on even days and the other on odd days?
Old 08-29-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good choice. I have a feeling you wouldn't have been as happy with the non-sport having already had one with it.

Question: are you getting a second A7 or trading the 2015 in? If trading, why so soon? If keeping the 2015, are you just going to use one on even days and the other on odd days?
I'm trading it. It's a long story. I got run into twice within two months. Both times extremely minor damage to the rear bumper, you almost could not see it. But it was not my fault so I had it fixed by the other guys insurance. Two weeks in the shop and a bad rental car experience. Five weeks later an identical incident. Needless to say I was more than a little pissed because I know what hassle I was in for.

I went back to my Audi dealership who's body shop did the work to discuss how to handle the claim. Then I went in and asked the sales manger if two claims reported to CarFax would effect resale. He said that they now report whether the damage is minor, which mine definitely is.

So I asked how much he would give me to trade it in on an S6. They offered me more than I expected and a good deal on a 2016 A7. What happened to the S6 you ask? I drove one and would have liked it, but decided that for what I use it for the S6 was not worth another $10,000.

Bottom line is I got a deal that actually made sense given the circumstances, and I got a year newer car with some improvements. I've owned many, many vehicles. I've made some stupid deals over the years that made no sense, and I've made some great deals. This wasn't the best I've ever done, but it was right up there. The resale was far better than I expected for a ten month old car with 8,500 miles on it.

The suspension issue was that it would be easier to fix the handling than to change a color I didn't like. But it all worked out. Here,is the new car...

Last edited by jjsC6; 08-29-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good to hear you got a deal worked out that you could live with. Usually it's the first two years where depreciation whacks you the hardest.

And IMO, there's nothing wrong with a silver color, especially as it doesn't show the dirt two blocks from your house after you wash it. I actually prefer the silvers and medium grays for that reason. Also, while it may not be the most exclusive color, it's also less likely to stand out in a crowd when exceeding the speed limit.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good to hear you got a deal worked out that you could live with. Usually it's the first two years where depreciation whacks you the hardest.

And IMO, there's nothing wrong with a silver color, especially as it doesn't show the dirt two blocks from your house after you wash it. I actually prefer the silvers and medium grays for that reason. Also, while it may not be the most exclusive color, it's also less likely to stand out in a crowd when exceeding the speed limit.
I have always liked silver cars. But I was knocked out by the Glacier White that I am trading in and really liked it, as did my wife. The Florett Silver concerned me because I don't like silvers that have a blueish tint to them, and the Florett silver looked like it might in certain lights. They had a white car that l liked but did not have the sport suspension, and this silver that was equipped exactly right. I also preferred the interior in this car to the beige in the white car just because it also had beige carpet instead of dark carpet (they can be ordered with beige or dark carpet).

So I took my wife up to look at this color last night. She still preferred the Glacier White, but was okay with this silver and I actually liked it the more I looked at it.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome. Tough to find a color which that car looks bad in.

Quick Reply: Sway bars & shocks for non sport