Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
If by Euro style you mean the "chasing" indicator lights then they were only introduced as part of the facelift (so not available pre-facelift) and they use a unique tail light unit so it requires hardware changes and also coding. Kufatec offer two kits https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/au...6-4g?tab=frage https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/au...di-a6-4g-sedan that provide the wiring and the lights dependng on what reart light unit you already have but they are marked as "not for North America". Not sure if this is because (as I understand it) the chasing lights are illegal in the US or that the the wiring to the rear lights in the US is different and therefore it is not "Plug & Play". Hope this helps
It has been said many times but the US requires a defined area of illumination upon activation of the turn signal. The Audi design does not meet the square inch illuminated area until the third led illuminates so the US cars also light up an additional portion of the tail light assembly. It makes no sense but the government here passes laws every fifty years or so, its only recently that we moved away from candles. Amber is also legal here and the government agency responsible for such laws also admits that the Amber is safer but getting it mandated is almost an “act of Congress”.
Of course, if Audi had more than half a brain, they would design a tail light that was amber and is legal in the USA and ROW. It would not only provide prospective clients with a better, safer system but it would enable then to only require a single unit for all markets therefore saving them money in manufacturing, inventory etc.. The problem is that common sense is not that common.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
Like DB22 listed red is the one they like in the states. But does anyone think they will be sharp enough to find your amber directional not red?? Any ideas on how I can get the wiring schematic for the rear body/taillights? I could probably get it from my buddy at the dealer for my 2014 and a 2016 facelift. But how to get one for a European facelift car????? Or is the sequential around the states on an A6/S6? Those kits also don't really describe what your getting ether. Enlightenment on this John??
I think, and I have no direct knowledge so this an assumption, that the cheaper kit is for those who already ghave the LED tail lights and want to move from the static indicators to the chassing set and this requires a different set of connections plus programing. The more expensive option also includes new tail light units for those that do not have the LED tail light units. The issue you would have using European tailight units in the US is that the European units do not have the red side marker lights that I assume the US version has. Maybe there is a fix for that? If you can get access to ErWin, then I think you should be able to download a copy of the wiring diagrams for both EU and US cars and compare the differences
Old 09-19-2018, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22

The problem is that common sense is not that common.

But MOST important it cannot be taught either!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
But MOST important it cannot be taught either!
That made me laugh! It is so true.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
I think, and I have no direct knowledge so this an assumption, that the cheaper kit is for those who already ghave the LED tail lights and want to move from the static indicators to the chassing set and this requires a different set of connections plus programing. The more expensive option also includes new tail light units for those that do not have the LED tail light units. The issue you would have using European tailight units in the US is that the European units do not have the red side marker lights that I assume the US version has. Maybe there is a fix for that? If you can get access to ErWin, then I think you should be able to download a copy of the wiring diagrams for both EU and US cars and compare the differences
I do have the LED's and am working with a couple of guys on the part #'s for the European units. We do have the red marker and there has been some discussion about coding it off because it is a little too bright. By the way, has anyone seen these light in the USA? I'm going to the dealer and ask the all knowledgeable sales person to see if they know. (I know, good luck with that!)
Old 09-26-2018, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone seen these sequential or following lights in the USA??
Old 09-26-2018, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
Has anyone seen these sequential or following lights in the USA??
If you mean these, then yes I did last week. They're pretty sharp IMHO!
Old 09-26-2018, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I have also seen those lights on the US
Old 09-26-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2014 with the LED headlight package-Prestige. Does that mean I have the LED Tails? I would really like to upgrade to amber turns like I did on my 2015 Golf Sport Wagon (Amber- Bright bulbs and new taillight assembly). Please tell me what parts I need? I find the forums on this topic confusing. Would pay someone to take care of this for me. I am in Europe often so can easily buy the parts there. I assume I would need a new taillight assembly?
Old 09-27-2018, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
If you mean these, then yes I did last week. They're pretty sharp IMHO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcTxoCd50Zo
But...that one is an A4. So you saw a 6 Gary?

Quick Reply: tail lights