Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TDI shifting and severe lag issues post fix? Aftermarket Fix/Software?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TDI shifting and severe lag issues post fix? Aftermarket Fix/Software?

Brought my 14 A6 TDI to Audi as the shift patterns are getting worse (Low gears, jerky upshifts, and slow throttle response). They pulled codes and did not find anything wrong. Could my O2 sensor still be bad? They would not change it. Is there an aftermarket program I can purchase to eliminate these issues? Is this also related to a memory of driving style from a previous owner? Can that be remapped? Can my ECU be updated to improve shift points and even MPG?
Old 05-12-2019, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Despite not finding codes to identify the problem, do they acknowledge that these worsening shift patterns exist and either (1) they cannot fix or (2) render the car not fit to drive? If so, you may want to consider this part of settlement if your car was 'fixed' within the past 18 months or miles:

L. Defendants must offer (for Repaired Vehicles) or reoffer (for Modified Vehicles) and provide a Buyback or Lease Termination to any Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee of a Modified or Repaired Vehicle, in the event that, during the 18 months or 18,000 miles(whichever occurs first)following the completion of the Approved Emissions Modification or Certified Emissions Repair (the “Reoffer Period”):

1. Defendants fail to repair or remedy (at Volkswagen’s expense)a confirmed mechanical failure or malfunction covered by the Extended Emissions Warranty and associated with the Approved Emissions Modification or Certified Emissions Repair(a “Warrantable Failure”) after the Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee physically presents the Modified or Repaired Vehicle to a Dealer for repair of the Warrantable Failure and:

a. the Warrantable Failure is unable to be remedied after making four(4) separate service visits for the same Warrantable Failure during the Reoffer Period; or

b. the Modified or Repaired Vehicle with the Warrantable Failure is out of service due to the Warrantable Failure for a cumulative total of 30 days during the Reoffer Period. For avoidance of doubt, a Modified or Repaired Vehicle shall not be deemed “out of service” when, after diagnosing the Warrantable Failure, the Dealer returns or tenders the Modified or Repaired Vehicle to the customer while he Modified or Repaired Vehicle remains Operable.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

There are a few members over on the TDi Forum that have been reporting post fix buybacks under that provision. OP, how many miles are on your Car? When was the fix performed?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
There are a few members over on the TDi Forum that have been reporting post fix buybacks under that provision. OP, how many miles are on your Car? When was the fix performed?
Purchased used from dealer 6 months ago with CPO
Old 05-14-2019, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a procedure to get your transmission to "relearn" its shift patterns which works for many models with the ZF electronic transmissions. It's called the "kick-down procedure". You can try it and see if it works (it's easy and costs nothing):

Doors closed, ignition off.

1) Press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (pressing to the kick-down position and hold there).
2) Turn on ignition but do not start the engine. If your car has Start/Stop press the accelerator pedal but DO NOT press the brake pedal. Press the START button to turn on ignition.
3) Keep the accelerator pedal pressed for at least 15 seconds.
4) Turn off the ignition (press start button again). Release the accelerator pedal. Don't open the doors. Wait a couple of minutes and start the engine normally.
5) Drive your car, carefully and allow it to change gears at low RPM for the first 10 minutes.

I have used this many times on Mercedes-Benz cars with rough 2-1 downshifts and been able to fix them. Also works on BMW and VW if they have the kick-down procedure enabled. I would try it a couple of times if the first time it seems not to work. Try it with engine hot too. You won't hurt anything by doing this procedure.

If that doesn't work there are separate procedures for the transmission and throttle body adaptation in VAG-COM:

Automatic Transmission Basic Settings - Ross-Tech Wiki

Last edited by nhdoc; 05-14-2019 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:04 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had odd shift patterns after fix in Jan, 2018 for several months, eventually kind of went away. In August shifts became very abrupt, no CEL. Took in the Q5 for service and it was an O2 sensor, again NO CEL. Fixed under emissions warranty claim. About 2 months later CEL went on, took it to Audi, bad O2, no charge warranty claim. All has been well since. Shifts are 'normal', power seems stronger than before fix. .02

Last edited by bpp; 05-14-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW - Malone tuning says they made changes to the Transmission Control Module as well. They (supposedly) restore and improve the throttle / TCU relationship. I have not done this yet, but plan on it sometime soon.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:49 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 50pascals
FWIW - Malone tuning says they made changes to the Transmission Control Module as well. They (supposedly) restore and improve the throttle / TCU relationship. I have not done this yet, but plan on it sometime soon.
If you have a TDI fixed under warranty by Audi kiss it goodbye if you mess with the system and you're on your own now and forever. .02
Old 05-14-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
If you have a TDI fixed under warranty by Audi kiss it goodbye if you mess with the system and you're on your own now and forever. .02
Understood. I will have 150k on mine by the end of the year, so the warranty won't have much value to me by then.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 50pascals
.... I will have 150k on mine by the end of the year, so the warranty won't have much value to me .
150K Incredible! ....here I sit with only 56K....but you are right, you've enjoyed 150K and at this point have nothing to gain from the warranty.

Quick Reply: TDI shifting and severe lag issues post fix? Aftermarket Fix/Software?