AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   TDI update then NOX sensor throws a code (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/tdi-update-then-nox-sensor-throws-code-2948088/)

Tanket 01-31-2019 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by gguy (Post 25269785)

with the frequency with which this seems to happen after the update, i would tell them to replace it as part of the update.

Or maybe better to let an old one take the hit first, not sure what kills it. Never knew it was that expensive either. Also, not sure if they listen to the customer telling them what to change....

bpp 02-01-2019 08:48 AM

FYI...Had 2 O2 sensors replaced under the diesel emissions warranty in 2018, one in August, another in October. The first one did not throw a code, the second did. In both cases driveability, throttle application smoothness, was compromised.
TDI Emission Fix was done in January 2018.

KevinGary 02-01-2019 11:10 AM

I am not looking forward to the “fix”

DB22 02-01-2019 03:51 PM

Maybe even Audi has worked out that making a “clean burning diesel” is impossible. Burning oil and expecting “clean” is not compatible. Enjoy the extra torque while you can before manufacturers can’t build them clean enough and so few cities will allow them

KevinGary 02-01-2019 05:30 PM

I will

ByByBMW 02-02-2019 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by KevinGary (Post 25270318)
I will

I know you have been a long time proponent of not doing the fix. But why?
Our 2016 TDI had the fix a year ago and we have had zero, zilch, nada issues with anything. Power, mileage all good. No CEL's, driveablility is as good as it was before the fix. And when you figure in the amount of money returned to you from the various entities, this car was the buy of the decade. Even my wife, who is NOT a car person, loves the TDI.

Tanket 02-02-2019 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 25270411)
Our 2016 TDI had the fix a year ago and we have had zero, zilch, nada issues with anything. Power, mileage all good. No CEL's, driveablility is as good as it was before the fix. And when you figure in the amount of money returned to you from the various entities, this car was the buy of the decade. Even my wife, who is NOT a car person, loves the TDI.

Still love ours, just a little less. It runs rough, especially after the NOX replacement (with CEL), it's louder, lost a considerable amount of acceleration & torque feel, has some quirks and farts that feel like small misfires or backfires, apparently uses more fuel and DEF too....not great. I would do it again due to the total amount of $$ they gave us but I think it was a half assed fix and they should have been required to update the fix if the cars had problems related to it. They did NOT cover my NOX sensor repair even though it happened right after the fix. I wonder what else is not covered?

AMDG75 02-02-2019 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 25270411)

I don't speak for Kevin, but my hesitation in completing the fix is based on complaints by many of (1) intermittent 'throttle lag', which can be dangerous, (2) changes in transmission shift points that are purportedly designed to induce hotter engine temps and (3) reports by many of sensor faults (including colleague of mine, who had fix in summer). While changes in transmission shifts and decreased fuel economy are contemplated by the fix settlement, throttle lag is not AND there is no TSB to fix or method to revert to old ECU.

So, my thinking is that I have an engine that is incredible -- that certainly is not broken and in no need of a fix. In weighing the costs/benefits: for the fix I would collect the remaining $4K+ of settlement and 120K warranty at unknown risk of ruining the driving experience. By holding out awhile longer (we have until 4/2020) I delay monetary gratification and warranty piece of mind (but throttle lag, if experienced cannot be remedied/warrantied) while continuing to enjoy an unadulterated engine. Also factoring into this equation is that (1) I keep my cars 10+ years and do not want to turn car in should fix ruin it, (2) being in a cold climate --> the thought of potentially later transmission shifts does not thrill me and (3) being at increased risk for service appointments to fix O2 or NO sensors would be a PIA. I will eventually pull the trigger, but not now.

J. Patterson 02-02-2019 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tanket (Post 25270442)
Still love ours, just a little less. It runs rough, especially after the NOX replacement (with CEL), it's louder, lost a considerable amount of acceleration & torque feel, has some quirks and farts that feel like small misfires or backfires, apparently uses more fuel and DEF too....not great. I would do it again due to the total amount of $$ they gave us but I think it was a half assed fix and they should have been required to update the fix if the cars had problems related to it. They did NOT cover my NOX sensor repair even though it happened right after the fix. I wonder what else is not covered?

Your NOX sensor should have been covered..
From the court settlement documents ———-

“Warranty shall cover all parts and labor, as well as the cost or provision of a loaner vehicle for warranty service lasting longer than 3 hours. Defendants must not impose on consumers any fees or charges, and must pay any fees or charges imposed by its dealers related to the warranty service. The Extended Emissions Warranty shall provide warranty coverage as follows.
3.9.1 The Emission Control System warranty must cover the entire emission control system including (1) all components that are replaced, repaired, installed, upgraded, or otherwise modified as part of the Approved Emissions Modification; (2) all components listed in subparagraphs 3.9.1 and 3.9.2; (3) and any other component that can reasonably be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification. The Emission Control System warranty must cover, at a minimum, the following parts:
i.
ii. iii.
iv. v. vi.
3.9.2 consists of the
3.9.3 greater of:
i. ii.
The entire exhaust aftertreatment system including the DOC, the DPF, the SCR catalyst, the dosing injector and other DEF system components, all sensors and actuators, and any exhaust flap;
The entire fuel system, including the fuel pumps, high pressure common rail, fuel injectors, and all sensors and actuators;
The EGR system including the EGR valve, EGR bypass valve, EGR cooler, EGR filter, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;
The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators;
The OBD System and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems; and
The ECU and the TCU.
The Engine Long Block warranty must cover the engine sub-assembly that assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
The warranty period for the Extended Emissions Warranty shall be the
10 years or 120,000 actual miles whichever comes first; and
4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale.”

ByByBMW 02-02-2019 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by J. Patterson (Post 25270456)

Your NOX sensor should have been covered..
From the court settlement documents ———-

“Warranty shall cover all parts and labor, as well as the cost or provision of a loaner vehicle for warranty service lasting longer than 3 hours. Defendants must not impose on consumers any fees or charges, and must pay any fees or charges imposed by its dealers related to the warranty service. The Extended Emissions Warranty shall provide warranty coverage as follows.
3.9.1 The Emission Control System warranty must cover the entire emission control system including (1) all components that are replaced, repaired, installed, upgraded, or otherwise modified as part of the Approved Emissions Modification; (2) all components listed in subparagraphs 3.9.1 and 3.9.2; (3) and any other component that can reasonably be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification. The Emission Control System warranty must cover, at a minimum, the following parts:
i.
ii. iii.
iv. v. vi.
3.9.2 consists of the
3.9.3 greater of:
i. ii.
The entire exhaust aftertreatment system including the DOC, the DPF, the SCR catalyst, the dosing injector and other DEF system components, all sensors and actuators, and any exhaust flap;
The entire fuel system, including the fuel pumps, high pressure common rail, fuel injectors, and all sensors and actuators;
The EGR system including the EGR valve, EGR bypass valve, EGR cooler, EGR filter, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;
The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators;
The OBD System and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems; and
The ECU and the TCU.
The Engine Long Block warranty must cover the engine sub-assembly that assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
The warranty period for the Extended Emissions Warranty shall be the
10 years or 120,000 actual miles whichever comes first; and
4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale.”

You beat me to it. AND did it better than I could have. Didn't have this info easily at hand.