Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TDI update then NOX sensor throws a code

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson

Your NOX sensor should have been covered..
From the court settlement documents ———-

“Warranty shall cover all parts and labor, as well as the cost or provision of a loaner vehicle for warranty service lasting longer than 3 hours. Defendants must not impose on consumers any fees or charges, and must pay any fees or charges imposed by its dealers related to the warranty service. The Extended Emissions Warranty shall provide warranty coverage as follows.
3.9.1 The Emission Control System warranty must cover the entire emission control system including (1) all components that are replaced, repaired, installed, upgraded, or otherwise modified as part of the Approved Emissions Modification; (2) all components listed in subparagraphs 3.9.1 and 3.9.2; (3) and any other component that can reasonably be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification. The Emission Control System warranty must cover, at a minimum, the following parts:
i.
ii. iii.
iv. v. vi.
3.9.2 consists of the
3.9.3 greater of:
i. ii.
The entire exhaust aftertreatment system including the DOC, the DPF, the SCR catalyst, the dosing injector and other DEF system components, all sensors and actuators, and any exhaust flap;
The entire fuel system, including the fuel pumps, high pressure common rail, fuel injectors, and all sensors and actuators;
The EGR system including the EGR valve, EGR bypass valve, EGR cooler, EGR filter, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;
The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators;
The OBD System and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems; and
The ECU and the TCU.
The Engine Long Block warranty must cover the engine sub-assembly that assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
The warranty period for the Extended Emissions Warranty shall be the
10 years or 120,000 actual miles whichever comes first; and
4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale.”
Where did you get that from, can't find it, want to copy it and show it to the dealer?
Found these too....

"Performance Representations and Protections
Defendants represent that the Emissions Compliant Repair shall not result in “Reduced Performance.” In the event that the Emissions Compliant Repair causes Reduced Performance of the Eligible Vehicle, Volkswagen shall make an additional payment of $500 for each affected Eligible Vehicle. Reduced Performance means a change in any of the following performance attributes: (1) a reduction in fuel economy of more than 3 MPG; (2) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak horsepower; or (3) decrease of greater than 5% peak torque. These will be measured by Volkswagen pursuant to industry standards in its submission to EPA and CARB. If the regulators approve the Emissions Compliant Repair, Defendants shall disclose the extent of any Reduced Performance in a Notice to affected Class Members. If the Emission Compliant Repair causes substantial, material adverse degradation above and beyond the Reduced Performance levels specified above, Plaintiffs reserve their right to seek, and Defendants reserve their right to oppose, additional remedies from the Court."

And: "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer"

Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My NOx sensor replacement cost was fully covered; no discussion was needed about it at the dealer.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

You can access the extended warranty details here. https://audidiesellookup.com/pdf/VWC...Gen1_Final.pdf

FYI ours needed an AdBlue injector pump recently and that was covered no question. Service manager prioritized the repair so that we didn’t have to wait for an appointment.

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2019, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
I don't speak for Kevin, but my hesitation in completing the fix is based on complaints by many of (1) intermittent 'throttle lag', which can be dangerous, (2) changes in transmission shift points that are purportedly designed to induce hotter engine temps and (3) reports by many of sensor faults (including colleague of mine, who had fix in summer). While changes in transmission shifts and decreased fuel economy are contemplated by the fix settlement, throttle lag is not AND there is no TSB to fix or method to revert to old ECU.

So, my thinking is that I have an engine that is incredible -- that certainly is not broken and in no need of a fix. In weighing the costs/benefits: for the fix I would collect the remaining $4K+ of settlement and 120K warranty at unknown risk of ruining the driving experience. By holding out awhile longer (we have until 4/2020) I delay monetary gratification and warranty piece of mind (but throttle lag, if experienced cannot be remedied/warrantied) while continuing to enjoy an unadulterated engine. Also factoring into this equation is that (1) I keep my cars 10+ years and do not want to turn car in should fix ruin it, (2) being in a cold climate --> the thought of potentially later transmission shifts does not thrill me and (3) being at increased risk for service appointments to fix O2 or NO sensors would be a PIA. I will eventually pull the trigger, but not now.
‘You can speak for me because I could not have expressed my concern any better!
Old 02-02-2019, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay then, guess that answers my question. Good luck all.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary

‘You can speak for me because I could not have expressed my concern any better!
Appreciate the compliment !

Your NOX sensor should have been covered..
From the court settlement documents ———-

And we need to compliment J. Patterson, who provided a well supported response.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Also, here is a link to the court document I quoted first. Should give you all you need to deal with that uninformed dealer.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp...pendix%20B.pdf
Old 02-02-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can access the extended warranty details here. https://audidiesellookup.com/pdf/VWC...Gen1_Final.pdf
FYI ours needed an AdBlue injector pump recently and that was covered no question. Service manager prioritized the repair so that we didn’t have to wait for an appointment.
Good luck

Originally Posted by Chiclet11
My NOx sensor replacement cost was fully covered; no discussion was needed about it at the dealer.
Thanks for that... "Our records indicate that an EPA and CARB approved emissions modification has been completed on this vehicle. It is eligible for an Extended Emissions Warranty, but the warranty has not been issued to the vehicle yet"

Fix was done on 1/17, says to check back in 10 days??Extended Emissions Warranty Information:
"Please check back in the next ten (10) days to access the Extended Emissions Warranty for this vehicle"

Fix was done on 1-17th, NOX CEL on 1-28. Charged my extended (Fidelity) warranty: Labor $342.00, 4G0-907-807-P Sensor $638.00, Total
$980.00 Today 2-2 my DEF light came on....I'll talk to them on Monday. Thanks for all the input!

Last edited by Tanket; 02-02-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also, here is a link to the court document I quoted first. Should give you all you need to deal with that uninformed dealer.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp...pendix%20B.pdf
Thanks, that's the appendix....I like this one, interesting.

8.2.12. Failure to Honor Warranty. If Defendants fail to honor the Extended
Emissions Warranty under Paragraph 3.9 of this Appendix B, including by failing to
cover all costs of parts and labor, or by failing to pay for or provide a loaner car for
repairs of more than 3 hours, Defendants must pay to the United States and CARB (at a
50/50 split) a stipulated penalty of $40,000 per failure, except for failing to pay for or
provide a loaner car, for which Defendants must pay a stipulated penalty of $1,000 per
failure.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tanket
Thanks, that's the appendix....I like this one, interesting.

8.2.12. Failure to Honor Warranty. If Defendants fail to honor the Extended
Emissions Warranty under Paragraph 3.9 of this Appendix B, including by failing to
cover all costs of parts and labor, or by failing to pay for or provide a loaner car for
repairs of more than 3 hours, Defendants must pay to the United States and CARB (at a
50/50 split) a stipulated penalty of $40,000 per failure, except for failing to pay for or
provide a loaner car, for which Defendants must pay a stipulated penalty of $1,000 per
failure.
That IS interesting. My quote of the emmisions warranty coverage came from page 21.
I never ask for a loaner. Two extra Audis to drive. BUT, if I ever need a Q7 while ours is being repaired, this could come in handy.
I’d love to be a fly on the wall when you discuss this with the dealer.

Quick Reply: TDI update then NOX sensor throws a code