Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TDI WENT INTO LIMP MODE

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI WENT INTO LIMP MODE

To all my TDI friends out there who have had the fix done I need to tell you what happened to me today. I was driving home and my ADBLUE light came on with that typical message we have all seen before that I had 1000 miles to go before needing it to be filled. No biggie I thought as I was expecting this to come due before my 10k maintance interval anyway as the result of the fix. So I continued driving for a few more miles and all of the sudden my car went into limp mode. For those who have not experienced limp mode, think of a Prius that is trying to pull a horse trailer with two horses in it. Not pretty. Fortunately I wasn’t on the expressway at the time but it caught me off guard to say the least. After going into limp mode my dash indicator (glow plug) started blinking but no other messages came on. Assuming there was a serious Audi problem going on I fortunately was able to limp it to the dealer and they were able to take it in, on a Saturday no less, to check it out. After a few hours of diagnostics ($140), I was informed that I was completely out of Adblue and had I turned off the car I might have possibly been left stranded. Obviously this is a problem on many levels and I am posting this today to just make everyone aware that for those who get the fix done count on the Adblue consumption to be much higher and to not trust the Adblue monitor. Going forward this will be a simple thing to take care of by just filling the tank every 5-6k miles myself. Still love the car, despite the “fix”.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:55 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I would be talking to Audi about this, if the car stated you still had 1000 miles. They should cover the diagnostic charge.
Also, Audi is supposed to refill Adblue for you anytime, you just need to pull into the dealer and ask for it.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

The fix is the gift that just keeps giving
Old 02-10-2019, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tjf
I think I would be talking to Audi about this, if the car stated you still had 1000 miles. They should cover the diagnostic charge.
Also, Audi is supposed to refill Adblue for you anytime, you just need to pull into the dealer and ask for it.
I thought about pushing the TDI warranty thing for the diagnosics part but I was told that the misread was because my Adblue tank had air trapped in the line which gave a false reading. They ended up bleeding the line and recalibrated the system which I felt the $140 charge was reasonable considering its Audi. This issue may or may not have been related to the fix so I am giving them the benifit of the doubt this time. My point to posting this was to confirm to everyone that my experience with almost 100% highway driving, Adblue consumption definitely is higher, 6k vs. 9-10k miles before the fix, and that you might not want to trust that “1000 miles to go” message. And by the way, they didn’t charge me for the $3.28 Adblue fill up. : )
Old 02-10-2019, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
The fix is the gift that just keeps giving
See what you get to look forward to in another year plus. LOL By the time you get yours done I will have that Malone tune installed and singing hallelujah!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Transporter208

See what you get to look forward to in another year plus. LOL By the time you get yours done I will have that Malone tune installed and singing hallelujah!
I can hardly wait!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I thought about pushing the TDI warranty thing for the diagnosics part but I was told that the misread was because my Adblue tank had air trapped in the line which gave a false reading. They ended up bleeding the line and recalibrated the system which I felt the $140 charge was reasonable considering its Audi. This issue may or may not have been related to the fix so I am giving them the benifit of the doubt this time. My point to posting this was to confirm to everyone that my experience with almost 100% highway driving, Adblue consumption definitely is higher, 6k vs. 9-10k miles before the fix, and that you might not want to trust that “1000 miles to go” message. And by the way, they didn’t charge me for the $3.28 Adblue fill up. : )
Appreciate the heads up. Did they say how air could get trapped? Related to method of refilling?
When I and others eventually do the 'fix', will add this to the list potential post-fix issues of what KevinGary has aptly renamed as the gift that keeps on giving. Actually, increased Adblue consumption listed in fix, but as there is only a warning light and no gauge, we will have to be more vigilant and/or keep a bottle in the trunk. So far, major gifts include for some:
(1) intermittent 'throttle lag', which can be dangerous,
(2) delayed transmission shift points purportedly designed to induce hotter engine temps
(3) increased O2 & NO sensor faults .
(4) can't revert to original ECU
and now
(5) lack of gauge + increased consumption = carry bottle of Adblue at all times
Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AMDG75
Appreciate the heads up. Did they say how air could get trapped? Related to method of refilling?
When I and others eventually do the 'fix', will add this to the list potential post-fix issues of what KevinGary has aptly renamed as the gift that keeps on giving. Actually, increased Adblue consumption listed in fix, but as there is only a warning light and no gauge, we will have to be more vigilant and/or keep a bottle in the trunk. So far, major gifts include for some:
(1) intermittent 'throttle lag', which can be dangerous,
(2) delayed transmission shift points purportedly designed to induce hotter engine temps
(3) increased O2 & NO sensor faults .
(4) can't revert to original ECU
and now
(5) lack of gauge + increased consumption = carry bottle of Adblue at all times
Over on the TDi forum the list of “gifts” is even longer!
Old 02-10-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do you live in an area with freezing temps? Maybe freeze thaw cycles? Ever run the tank dry before? How could air get in there? air rises afterall... I'm actually very curious about how this could happen.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
...... How could air get in there? air rises afterall... I'm actually very curious about how this could happen.
Yes, please badger the dealer for an explanation.....we are being kept in suspense.

Quick Reply: TDI WENT INTO LIMP MODE