Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Temperature gauge going up and down...

Old 04-19-2014, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
tenspeed, Do you have pictures of the thermostat?
Sorry, no thermostat pictures. I did a brief images.info.com search and everything I found looked like an ordinary thermostat found in any car. I did notice that the same part was used in several different models. The TDI thermostat seemed to be attached to a composite housing that bolted to the engine and had a hose attachment.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Sorry, no thermostat pictures. I did a brief images.info.com search and everything I found looked like an ordinary thermostat found in any car. I did notice that the same part was used in several different models. The TDI thermostat seemed to be attached to a composite housing that bolted to the engine and had a hose attachment.
Yea, I came up empty as well but thanks for looking. I've been trying to get a picture of our driveshaft but no luck. Would you have a picture of it?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
Yea, I came up empty as well but thanks for looking. I've been trying to get a picture of our driveshaft but no luck. Would you have a picture of it?
This one might do it.

Name:  drivetrain_zps08e10d3d.jpg
Views: 6911
Size:  213.4 KB
Old 04-21-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

For those of you trying to evaluate the temperature and its warnings you could try enabling, via VAG-COM, the Lap Timer option. This will give a display of engine oil temperature and you can check it against your temperature gauge reading. Although they don't mimic each other, it is a good indication of the engine temp. My gauge is always in the middle with 4 bars but the engine oil temp fluctuates between 179 to as high as 205.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
For those of you trying to evaluate the temperature and its warnings you could try enabling, via VAG-COM, the Lap Timer option. This will give a display of engine oil temperature and you can check it against your temperature gauge reading. Although they don't mimic each other, it is a good indication of the engine temp. My gauge is always in the middle with 4 bars but the engine oil temp fluctuates between 179 to as high as 205.
Good idea. I had a car that had both gauges and I noticed that it took longer for the oil to come up to temperature. IIRC it was about 15-20 minutes before the gauges matched.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
I have the lap timer enabled via VAG-COM but it does not get displayed because of the firmware in the instrument panel for a 2012. AFAIK it works for 2013 and up vehicles. So yea, it would be nice to display the oil temp.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008A6
So, is the common failure isolated to the thermostat on the 3.0T's or the water pump as well. Some folks seems to have had to replace both. I'm considering a preowned C7A6, and want to make sure the thermostat gets replaced while still under warranty, so wondering if water pumps are failing at the same time..
Just to add my 2 cents: I experienced the exact same problem last week, and the thermostat was determined to be the lone culprit.

My family and I had headed out to Palm Desert (from LA); car was fine during the drive ... but later in the evening I experienced the same issues reported elsewhere in this thread -- i.e., temp. gauge pegged in the red, warning to let the engine idle, etc. I pulled over and shut if off a few times, with it cooling sufficiently each time for me to limp back (in stages) to our resort. The next morning, I decided to chance the 6-mile drive over to the Audi dealer in Rancho Mirage, figuring I'd pull over and call for a tow if it looked too dicey. I ended up making it to the dealer just fine, and their eventual diagnosis was a "stuck" thermostat (it was "stuck closed," failing to open when necessary). They replaced it for me that same day, and the car is as good as new. (I should add that I purchased my 2012 in Sept. 2011, and it's been flawless the entire time until this incident. 23,000 miles.)

So, FWIW, the issue/problem does appear to be isolated to the thermostat.

By the way, a special thanks to Mark Wilson and Audi Rancho Mirage ("Desert European"?).... Mark and the team took care of me and my car at a moment's notice when I arrived there at 7:30 a.m. with no appointment, making sure I had my car back -- fixed and cleaned -- before the end of the day. Obviously things could have gone far worse considering I was away from home when this went down. So, thanks!!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ko_audi
Just to add my 2 cents: I experienced the exact same problem last week, and the thermostat was determined to be the lone culprit.

My family and I had headed out to Palm Desert (from LA); car was fine during the drive ... but later in the evening I experienced the same issues reported elsewhere in this thread -- i.e., temp. gauge pegged in the red, warning to let the engine idle, etc. I pulled over and shut if off a few times, with it cooling sufficiently each time for me to limp back (in stages) to our resort. The next morning, I decided to chance the 6-mile drive over to the Audi dealer in Rancho Mirage, figuring I'd pull over and call for a tow if it looked too dicey. I ended up making it to the dealer just fine, and their eventual diagnosis was a "stuck" thermostat (it was "stuck closed," failing to open when necessary). They replaced it for me that same day, and the car is as good as new. (I should add that I purchased my 2012 in Sept. 2011, and it's been flawless the entire time until this incident. 23,000 miles.)

So, FWIW, the issue/problem does appear to be isolated to the thermostat.

By the way, a special thanks to Mark Wilson and Audi Rancho Mirage ("Desert European"?).... Mark and the team took care of me and my car at a moment's notice when I arrived there at 7:30 a.m. with no appointment, making sure I had my car back -- fixed and cleaned -- before the end of the day. Obviously things could have gone far worse considering I was away from home when this went down. So, thanks!!!!
Glad to hear that you made it to the dealer without requiring a tow. I also purchased my 2012 in 2011 and it has been mechanically flawless as well until this overheating and driveshaft problem occurred. I have had two other warranty issues addressed since my purchase but they did not disable the car. I certainly am hoping the thermostat the dealer put is improved over the original. In my opinion having a thermostat as a high failure item is inexcusable. If Audi is trying to improve its standing in the area of reliability this is not a good start but time will tell.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had this problem as well with low coolant + engine overheating, thermostat replaced.

Anyone who had this replaced, did you need it changed again or was it maybe a batch of defective thermostats? Also, anyone know how much this would cost outside warranty?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gronk
I just had this problem as well with low coolant + engine overheating, thermostat replaced.

Anyone who had this replaced, did you need it changed again or was it maybe a batch of defective thermostats? Also, anyone know how much this would cost outside warranty?
Well, granted it hasn't been that long yet ... but I certainly haven't had to do any follow-up work related to this. I'm hoping it's exactly like you suggested, and merely a batch of defective thermostats that were placed in some of our cars. (Sorry; no idea on the cost outside of warranty.)

Cheers,
Kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temperature gauge going up and down...