Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Thermostat and Water Pump Replacement?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

you have to pull the supercharger off to replace the thermostat. I think the pump is around that location and MAY need the supercharger removed to replace. I guess if it was me, I would combine the repairs and do the labor like once for most of it...
Old 01-25-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by a6sara
Any recommendations for a good one in Las Vegas? It's at the dealer with and update.... the thermostat is for sure bad and they're getting an error message that it's the diaphragm in the pump so they recommend replacement (no leak evidence). I could try to do them separately, in case the pump isn't bad yet. Thoughts?
The main water pump is on the front of the engine, has no diaphragm and gives no error messages. Sounds like they are describing the electric auxiliary water pump to cool down the supercharger. I have not replaced an auxiliary pump on a C7, so don’t know where it lives. Audi tends to use several locations, including under the SC and the back of the engine.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Correct, Audi charges 5 hours labor

Originally Posted by Silver42
you have to pull the supercharger off to replace the thermostat. I think the pump is around that location and MAY need the supercharger removed to replace. I guess if it was me, I would combine the repairs and do the labor like once for most of it...
When my thermostat was replaced, 5 hours labor @ $165 per hour. Part of the labor is placing the vehicle into the service position to remove the belts, supercharger, etc. I've read it can be done without doing so, but Audi has their written procedures. (As James May said, the germans love procedures....)
Although the shop that worked on mine had to do it twice as they crossed a pair of vacuum lines when the put it back together the first time. When driving off the lot, check engine light lit. Pulled back in, reset codes, tried again to leave. Got 10 feet further, again the light. After pulling it back in, again, noticed two codes flash on my P3 gauge P2006 & P2007. (Intake runner stuck closed.) They kept mine and gave us a loaner.
I've driven it a few thousand miles since then, all is well again
Old 01-27-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Andy de Groot
When my thermostat was replaced, 5 hours labor @ $165 per hour. Part of the labor is placing the vehicle into the service position to remove the belts, supercharger, etc. I've read it can be done without doing so, but Audi has their written procedures. (As James May said, the germans love procedures....)
Although the shop that worked on mine had to do it twice as they crossed a pair of vacuum lines when the put it back together the first time. When driving off the lot, check engine light lit. Pulled back in, reset codes, tried again to leave. Got 10 feet further, again the light. After pulling it back in, again, noticed two codes flash on my P3 gauge P2006 & P2007. (Intake runner stuck closed.) They kept mine and gave us a loaner.
Now we understand the methodical labeling of hoses and wires when removing the SC. If you have done service position, it can be quicker and far less chance of breaking the infamous coolant pipe. Actually, five hours labor is a good time. Mechanics must have lots of experience replacing thousands of defective plastic thermostats on 3.0s. A serious weak spot.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy de Groot
Same thing happened to me when I got my car and as a result of the oil separator being replaced. Same codes, same issue with vacuum lines. If I ever have to remove the SC I'm definitely labeling the lines.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by armourbl
Same thing happened to me when I got my car and as a result of the oil separator being replaced. Same codes, same issue with vacuum lines. If I ever have to remove the SC I'm definitely labeling the lines.
Use a silver colored Sharpie. Easy to see on black vacuum lines and black electrical connectors. I learned this from a great DIY on thermostat replacement.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Reviving an old thread but I have a '16 A6 premium plus and took my car in for 35k service (34k on odometer) and said they found a coolant leak at coolant pump/thermostat area and they are now going to replace the water pump (under warranty). Not sure if other's have had this problem on a C7.5 A6
Old 11-21-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by BobaPanda
Reviving an old thread but I have a '16 A6 premium plus and took my car in for 35k service (34k on odometer) and said they found a coolant leak at coolant pump/thermostat area and they are now going to replace the water pump (under warranty). Not sure if other's have had this problem on a C7.5 A6
+1 for doing the maintenance on time and the tech noticing this so it is properly addressed on Audi's dime, not yours. I like to make sure my cars are seen by the dealer for normal maintenance while in and for 10,000 miles after warranty expiration so that if something is noticed by the tech that I have not noticed it gets handled in the above manner. If after warranty something like this comes up I think that dealer is more likely to go to bat for me with Audi to cover by way of goodwill adjustment (or partially cover) if I've been patronizing dealer's service department. Just my 2 cents. Glad BobaPanda's car being taken care of per his post.

Best,
Jeff
Old 11-21-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought Audi care when I bought my car so all my services will be done by the dealer until 45k miles, and I also bought my car as CPO so warranty should be 6 years 100k miles instead of 4 years 50k. I know they changed the new CPO warranty to only be +1 year on top of the normal warranty but unlimited miles recently.

They also told me to change my tires ($1200), get an alignment ($300), change windshield wiper ($50) and that one of the trim panels ($300) on the bottom was missing... Not sure how a trim panel just falls off the car as I haven't run over anything . But this is the first time they have found other things wrong with the car other than what was covered by warranty. I will probably pass on all the things they want to charge me for and get my wheels and alignment at an independent shop and replace the wiper myself
Old 11-21-2018, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I have Audi care as well so visits to dealer every 10K (I have oil changed however between 10K services at an indy). Agree with you re: tires and wipers -- alignment you might need to do at dealer if your car is equipped with certain driver aids if I understand correctly. Interesting about change in CPO -- tells me that the accountants figured out that year 6 is when things really start to go wrong and cost $$. Good you got in on the old program.

Best,
Jeff

Quick Reply: Thermostat and Water Pump Replacement?!