Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Undercarriage question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:35 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercarriage question

Hello,

I tried to do a search re: undercarriage pictures and I couldn't find any (unless I'm not putting the key word correctly). I recently had a piece of my undercarriage come off, and I'm trying to determine where it actually fits. I'm posting a photo of the piece and a photo of where I think it should fit. Again I'm not sure where the piece exactly goes and whether it is essential piece.

So I guess my questions would be if this is an important piece that needs to be reinstalled or I can do without, and how much does it typically cost to have it reinstalled/replaced. Thanks again, as usual, for all your help. (hopefully I uploaded the attachments correctly).
Attached Images     
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here you go!

Part highlighted as #5
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jatmobil; 05-12-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And a close up of part #s 2 and 3 that you would need to put that piece back
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Banned

I think I'd replace it and reinstall it. Looks to be protecting the battery cable and rear brake lines from road debris. Those are some pretty important parts that make the car run and stop, so better safe than sorry.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:45 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Jatmobil and Mike_L. I followed your recommendation and went ahead and asked the dealer to order the part. Hopefully from now, and until the part arrives, those lines won't take any damage or be severed. Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fcd
I recently had a piece of my undercarriage come off, and I'm trying to determine where it actually fits.
What happened to cause the piece to come off?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:41 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
What happened to cause the piece to come off?
Tenspeed,

I'm not sure if it was one event, but I may have hit a pothole or two or some debris. Unfortunately the roads around my area aren't the greatest (NY-NJ area). I was just coming from a long drive, most of it highway driving, and I thought I heard something dragging. There's a small speed bump I go through everyday just at the entrance of my residence, and I heard a "louder sound" than the dragging sound(also heard it better as my speed was slower). Decided to take a look and sure enough the piece was left at the speed bump. Speed bump isn't too high and i go through it everyday, so it's safe to say it can be ruled out (or maybe not?).

Piece seems to fit on the left side of my car, just behind the front wheel. Does anyone know approximately how much would it would cost (part + labor)? Or I guess I will be the first one to tell you guys since I'm the only one who has had this issue?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fcd
Tenspeed,

I'm not sure if it was one event, but I may have hit a pothole or two or some debris. Unfortunately the roads around my area aren't the greatest (NY-NJ area). I was just coming from a long drive, most of it highway driving, and I thought I heard something dragging. There's a small speed bump I go through everyday just at the entrance of my residence, and I heard a "louder sound" than the dragging sound(also heard it better as my speed was slower). Decided to take a look and sure enough the piece was left at the speed bump. Speed bump isn't too high and i go through it everyday, so it's safe to say it can be ruled out (or maybe not?).

Piece seems to fit on the left side of my car, just behind the front wheel. Does anyone know approximately how much would it would cost (part + labor)? Or I guess I will be the first one to tell you guys since I'm the only one who has had this issue?
The part itself is about $65 retail and from the looks of your pics I would think you should be able to replace it yourself. I just looked at www.audionlineparts.com which seems to be a good source for OEM parts.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
The part itself is about $65 retail and from the looks of your pics I would think you should be able to replace it yourself. I just looked at www.audionlineparts.com which seems to be a good source for OEM parts.
$65? I didn't see it for more than $48.

Install should be cake if you have a trolley jack. If not, it shouldn't take a shop more than 5 minutes.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Jr'sAudiA6 - Never knew about that website, good to know. Unfortunately I already asked the dealer to order the part. So I'm guessing the dealership's prices will be more expensive than that website's prices. Ouch. Thanks again!

Mike_L - unfortunately no trolley jack for me. That would have been the cheaper and better option for me. Unfortunately I already had the dealer order it. Hopefully their labor costs won't be too inflated considering the nature of the job, but who am I kidding. I guess I'm expecting the worse as it's a dealership and generally they charge more. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Undercarriage question