Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Thoughts on Active Noise Cancellation and B&O

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on Active Noise Cancellation and B&O

Does anyone know if the active noise cancellation is done via the regular audio system speakers or are there drivers dedicated to the task?

It crossed my mind that the sub & midbass drivers could be working really hard when you got the music cranked up if the same speakers have to reproduce the out-of-phase signal to cancel engine and road noise.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobC
Does anyone know if the active noise cancellation is done via the regular audio system speakers or are there drivers dedicated to the task?

It crossed my mind that the sub & midbass drivers could be working really hard when you got the music cranked up if the same speakers have to reproduce the out-of-phase signal to cancel engine and road noise.
I have b&o on my 2012. Is this a separate option? I'm pretty sure I don't have this
Old 10-27-2012, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

From my most recent training manual:

"Based on input signals, the ANC control module calculates phase, frequency, and amplitude needed for each of the four door woofers and subwoofer. The five calculated ANC woofer signals are combined in the amplifier with the woofer signals of the sound system and output to the speakers. Noises are picked up by the four microphones and sent to the ANC control unit over discrete lines."

Hopefully that answered your question.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It just works. And nicely. To really hear the B&O strut it's stuff, use a pure digital music source like SDHC cards or the Jukebox. A very noticeable difference from an iPod/iPhone analog signal via AMI.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by joseaudi
I have b&o on my 2012. Is this a separate option? I'm pretty sure I don't have this
Sorry this is in the S6.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HyperS4
From my most recent training manual:
Hopefully that answered your question.
Sure does, it says the ANC signals are mixed with your music and played over the same speakers. And it does mean that the speakers are working extra hard reproducing the out-of-phase "noise" signals and your music at the same time.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RobC
Sorry this is in the S6.
Same B&O system in both the A6/S6.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Same B&O system in both the A6/S6.
Yes, but the A6 doesn't have the noise cancellation that the S6 has.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mwar99
Yes, but the A6 doesn't have the noise cancellation that the S6 has.
I stand corrected (I was confusing it with the Auto Level Control). It makes sense as ANC is designed to counteract vibrations/noise created when the V8 of the S6/S7 goes into 4 cylinder mode. No ANC is needed in the A6 3.0 as it operates full-time as a 6 cylinder and there are no 4 cylinder second order vibrations to counteract.

"Active Noise Control (ANC) counteracts the drone of the engine by generating an inaudible noise of its own via the car’s loud speaker system. The system cuts in when the engine switches from eight to four cylinders to save fuel.
ANC works in combination with new active engine mounts that neutralize the “second order” vibrations generated in four-cylinder mode by creating counter-vibrations".
Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a 12" sub and RF amp via line output converter to the signals going to the passenger front door sub and the rear parcel shelf sub on my B&O system in my S6.

My 12" sub is generating a real annoying buzz/hum from the system and feel like it's being generated by the ANC.

What do you guys think I can do to eliminate that noise? Disable ANC? Use a different signal? I need help.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Active Noise Cancellation and B&O