Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tire load rating - should i be concerned or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Pressures

So which tire pressure should I go by? The sticker inside the drivers door, or the tire pressure listed in the manual? I keep having tires that cup or feather shortly after getting new ones installed. I have the Audi dealer perform an all wheel alignment first thing, but the tires still cup. I rotate often, so what am I dong wrong?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Per Audi, the driver door label supersedes any and all literature or specifications posted elsewhere.

As for cupping -and- feathering, it depends if it occurs on all tires or just one. If one, check the suspension for worn bushings or shocks/struts. If all tires, and the alignment is correct, the suspension and bushings are good, and the wheels are are not damaged, it's most likely you regularly drive on a nearby road that has naturally eroded or worn away to where it can cause tire wear when driven repeatedly at constant speeds. I used to live near a old road where studded tire use had made huge rough grooves, driving in them would shred new tires quite fast.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by griffsr
So which tire pressure should I go by? The sticker inside the drivers door, or the tire pressure listed in the manual? I keep having tires that cup or feather shortly after getting new ones installed. I have the Audi dealer perform an all wheel alignment first thing, but the tires still cup. I rotate often, so what am I dong wrong?
That depends on where you are located. Pretty much everywhere other than the USA, the door sticker list the various tire pressure for normal and full load as well as different tires and sizes. In that case the sticker is what you should go by. Unfortunately, American's can't be trusted with that much information, so the door sticker in the USA only lists the full load tire pressure for the tires that were on it when the car was delivered. Pressures for other tires and normal load are only found in the owner's manual. Most people don't realize that the door sticker pressure in the USA is for full load. Full load means 4/5 passengers and the trunk filled to capacity. Well, that's not how most people drive around most of the time, so the owner's manual and the door sticker in other parts of the world has pressure listed for normal load. That's when it's just the driver with 1 or 2 additional passengers depending on the model and barely anything in the trunk. That's the pressure you should run unless you load up your car with more weight. Cupping as mentioned above generally points to suspension problems. Basically the tire isn't kept in contact with the road evenly. Worn shocks can cause this for example as the tire starts bouncing up and down and doesn't roll smoothly, so you gonna get cupping.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I have a 2015 A6 Prestige with 20" rims and there are 37,000 miles on the car. The cupping is only happening on the passenger side or one wheel to my knowledge. A recent inspection by Audi dealer did not note any suspension problems after specifically asking them to check for issues that might cause cupping. I'm thinking that the "full load" tire pressure that I have been running is too much for everyday driving and this may be the culprit. I also live in the San Diego area and the roads here are BAD. This has also happened to other Audis that I have driven. (A4s and A6s). A tire retailer once told me that this problem was caused by having Quattro.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I have a 2015 A6 Prestige with 20" rims and there are 37,000 miles on the car. The cupping is only happening on the passenger side or one wheel to my knowledge. A recent inspection by Audi dealer did not note any suspension problems after specifically asking them to check for issues that might cause cupping. I'm thinking that the "full load" tire pressure that I have been running is too much for everyday driving and this may be the culprit. I also live in the San Diego area and the roads here are BAD. This has also happened to other Audis that I have driven. (A4s and A6s). A tire retailer once told me that this problem was caused by having Quattro.
During the summer here with my 20" wheels on I have been running 42 Front & 39 Rear and have been very happy with this setting. I can tell you that right now some of the roads here look like they were carpet bombed. Literally, we have craters 2-3 feet in diameter and over a foot deep! It's an obstacle course on the best of days....
Old 02-21-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

When was the last time you rebalanced the tires? An imbalanced tire can also lead to cupping as the tire starts hopping at highway speed. I recommend you get your tires road force balanced. Regular balancing doesn't ensure that the tire is properly balanced when it rolls on the road. Also make sure the diagnosis is correct. Some tire shops incorrectly identify feathering or heel-toe wear as cupping. Here's a quick short video I found that talks about causes and fixes for cupping.