AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   Trunk self opening? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/trunk-self-opening-2830641/)

snagitseven 07-26-2012 06:02 AM

Trunk self opening?

I have convenience keyless entry. When I turn the ignition off, exit the car, touch the outside door lock button to lock the car, if I then walk by the rear fender, the trunk lid opens by itself.
It seems that there is some kind of sensor under these conditions causing this?
I have the MMI locking options set to "ALL" so all doors unlock when I touch the door handle.
Any one else have this "feature" and if so, how to set the MMI to defeat it? It's annoying since when parked, I usually pass by the trunk on the way out after locking the car and it pops open unnecessarily. Strange.
This is reproducible every time (I'm not touching trunk open button on key)

shaikhasm 07-26-2012 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24327878)
I have convenience keyless entry. When I turn the ignition off, exit the car, touch the outside door lock button to lock the car, if I then walk by the rear fender, the trunk lid opens by itself.
It seems that there is some kind of sensor under these conditions causing this?
I have the MMI locking options set to "ALL" so all doors unlock when I touch the door handle.
Any one else have this "feature" and if so, how to set the MMI to defeat it? It's annoying since when parked, I usually pass by the trunk on the way out after locking the car and it pops open unnecessarily. Strange.
This is repeatable (not touching trunk open button on key)

there is a sensor in late 2012 and 2013 but it's optional in my country and I don't think that US have it judging by how the options you have are limited anyway it isn't supposed to act this way you have to kick the air under the bumper twice for it to open so you should take it to the dealer and I hope it happens there ;)

snagitseven 07-26-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by shaikhasm (Post 24327888)
there is a sensor in late 2012 and 2013 but it's optional in my country and I don't think that US have it judging by how the options you have are limited anyway it isn't supposed to act this way you have to kick the air under the bumper twice for it to open so you should take it to the dealer and I hope it happens there ;)

It's clearly not a foot under the bumper thing as that's not what I'm doing and as you say, it's not available as a U.S. option.
Can't find anything in the manual about this.
I did do the Vag-Com windows/sunroof opening from the keyfob but can't imagine this would have anything to do with self opening trunk.

dht34 07-26-2012 06:40 AM

Never seen this happened on my A6. Although I wouldn't mind having your issue every now and then when my hands are full. Also vag com the convenience windows/sunroof with keyfob feature.

snagitseven 07-26-2012 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by dht34 (Post 24327901)
Never seen this happened on my A6. Although I wouldn't mind having your issue every now and then when my hands are full. Also vag com the convenience windows/sunroof with keyfob feature.

As I said, this only happens when turning off, exiting the car, locking the doors and walking past the rear fender. Your hands prob wouldn't be full if you are just exiting the driver's seat so I can't believe this is much of a convenience - quite the opposite - touching the trunk latch when you need to open the trunk isn't all that difficult and would prefer it did not open on it's own.
I've already done the windows/sunroof key Vag-Com.

snagitseven 07-26-2012 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update: I went into the Car>Car Systems>Central Locking and changed the "Lock exterior trunk handle" to "on". This seems to have alleviated the issue to the ghost in the trunk opening the lid. This is prob the better setting anyway as it will then open only if, with the keyfob on your person, you hit the trunk release in the car or on the trunk itself. Safer.

I still can't figure out why just walking past the rear fender would cause the trunk lid to open on its own under any circumstances. Makes no sense.

Has anyone else experienced this with the MMI trunk setting to "on"? Maybe it's a 2013 model thing only,

directorguy7 07-26-2012 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24327980)
Update: I went into the Car>Car Systems>Central Locking and changed the "Lock exterior trunk handle" to "on". This seems to have alleviated the issue to the ghost in the trunk opening the lid. This is prob the better setting anyway as it will then open only if, with the keyfob on your person, you hit the trunk release in the car or on the trunk itself. Safer.

I still can't figure out why just walking past the rear fender would cause the trunk lid to open on its own under any circumstances. Makes no sense.

Has anyone else experienced this with the MMI trunk setting to "on"? Maybe it's a 2013 model thing only,

Yeah I was having this happen to on my 13. If you lock the doors with either the remote or the handle, and look at the remote the LED will flash more, indicating the car lets the remote know its locked, and the remote then I believe sends a short range "advanced key" release trunk command as it wont open unless I am close to the trunk (ie, walking by it after locking.)

Furthermore, if you push the trunk button on the remote (NOT hold down) when you are close to it, it will open. You only need to hold it down if you are out of the "advanced key" range. I believe this short range command also is sent if you unlock with the remote and approach the trunk but not sure.

Yeah I can see it being annoying but also a nice feature. Sorta like they didn't want to give you the cool foot sweep option but also didn't want to leave you out in the cold without cool trunk open features. Now that I you let us know how to disable it I will do so as well as it was annoying most of the time.

snagitseven 07-26-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by directorguy7 (Post 24327989)
Yeah I was having this happen to on my 13. If you lock the doors with either the remote or the handle, and look at the remote the LED will flash more, indicating the car lets the remote know its locked, and the remote then I believe sends a short range "advanced key" release trunk command as it wont open unless I am close to the trunk (ie, walking by it after locking.)

Furthermore, if you push the trunk button on the remote (NOT hold down) when you are close to it, it will open. You only need to hold it down if you are out of the "advanced key" range. I believe this short range command also is sent if you unlock with the remote and approach the trunk but not sure.

Yeah I can see it being annoying but also a nice feature. Sorta like they didn't want to give you the cool foot sweep option but also didn't want to leave you out in the cold without cool trunk open features. Now that I you let us know how to disable it I will do so as well as it was annoying most of the time.

I think I understand what you're saying but I still don't get how it's something you would want to have happen all the time, which was what was occurring in my case every time I walked by the trunk after locking the car.
What if it was raining or you had something in the trunk you wouldn't want someone to see? (gold bricks, dead body, 100 lbs of illegal drugs, wife, etc.)

I would say that I want to open my trunk after I get out of the car about 1 in 30 times. Certainly not every time. Hopefully, the change I made in the MMI will permanently defeat this "feature".

Metallic-Force 07-26-2012 02:42 PM

Def happened to me, my key was practically touching the car from the left side of the trunk. I closed it 3 times and it opened again. There are leaks to the outside from the wireless sensors... Just back up a little...

directorguy7 07-26-2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24328023)
I think I understand what you're saying but I still don't get how it's something you would want to have happen all the time, which was what was occurring in my case every time I walked by the trunk after locking the car.
What if it was raining or you had something in the trunk you wouldn't want someone to see? (gold bricks, dead body, 100 lbs of illegal drugs, wife, etc.)

I would say that I want to open my trunk after I get out of the car about 1 in 30 times. Certainly not every time. Hopefully, the change I made in the MMI will permanently defeat this "feature".

I agree. Police almost saw a few dead bodies. I believe anytime the car is locked via user input and you go by the trunk it should open.

I first encountered this when I got out and locked the car via the back door handle. Thought it was cool as I thought the car was thinking I was heading for the trunk and since I locked with the rear door handle instead of the front handle like normal it was trying to be helpful. Unfortunately it does not matter how you lock the car, if it goes from unlocked to lock via user input, it will send trunk open command if you are in short range of trunk.

snagitseven 07-28-2012 03:08 PM

Well, I'm going to add to this thread...I just discovered that, apparently, my 2013 Prestige A6 does indeed have the rear lid foot sensor as found in some A8's. If I stick my foot under the rear bumper twice (and the advanced key is in my pocket) the trunk will auto open.
Scared the heck out of my wife when it unexpectedly happened.
There's nothing in the manual about this so I expect it was added afterward, possibly only for MY2013. It definitely has it's advantages if your hands are full and you want in to the trunk.

Does anyone with a 2012 have this feature and has anyone with a new 2013 discovered this?

directorguy7 07-28-2012 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24328717)
Well, I'm going to add to this thread...I just discovered that, apparently, my 2013 Prestige A6 does indeed have the rear lid foot sensor as found in some A8's. If I stick my foot under the rear bumper twice (and the advanced key is in my pocket) the trunk will auto open.
Scared the heck out of my wife when it unexpectedly happened.
There's nothing in the manual about this so I expect it was added afterward, possibly only for MY2013. It definitely has it's advantages if your hands are full and you want in to the trunk.

Does anyone with a 2012 have this feature and has anyone with a new 2013 discovered this?

Holy freaking crap! That's awesome! Mine does it too! Its in the manual (at least mine) towards the front of it. It's not mentioned anywhere in the window sticker, US website or anything. Nice find! Wonder what else the car has that wasn't mentioned... Hmmmm...

snagitseven 07-29-2012 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by directorguy7 (Post 24328798)
Holy freaking crap! That's awesome! Mine does it too! Its in the manual (at least mine) towards the front of it. It's not mentioned anywhere in the window sticker, US website or anything. Nice find! Wonder what else the car has that wasn't mentioned... Hmmmm...

Where in your manual? On Page 37 in the Rear Lid section, mine makes no mention of it anywhere.

Mickelin 07-29-2012 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by directorguy7 (Post 24328798)

Does it unlock only or actually open up the trunk lid? Do you have the auto close button on the inside of the lid next to the locking mechanism? Can you open and close the trunk using the driver side door button?

snagitseven 07-29-2012 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mickelin (Post 24328958)
Does it unlock only or actually open up the trunk lid? Do you have the auto close button on the inside of the lid next to the locking mechanism? Can you open and close the trunk using the driver side door button?

Yes, the lid unlocks and opens. Not powered but via spring so no auto close button.
Yes, the lid can be opened via the front door switch or the key button.
And two waves of your foot under the bumper.

amenbo1 07-29-2012 06:00 PM

Whacked shin!

Tried it on my 2012 Prestige. Did not work, so tried more vigorously bruising my shin on the bumper, to no avail!

My wife is having a good laugh.....

Knight_mare 07-29-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by amenbo1 (Post 24329089)
Tried it on my 2012 Prestige. Did not work, so tried more vigorously bruising my shin on the bumper, to no avail!

My wife is having a good laugh.....

Yeah I'm seeing the same thing on my 2012 Prestige. I got some strange looks from my wife as I was trying to test this out today lol.

Nice deal for the 2013 people. Wish we had it on the 2012.

mikem33 07-29-2012 07:32 PM

Time for a survey....
2013 Prestige/Innovation. No dice with the trunk open with strategically placed foot.
I tried waving my foot under the bumper a few times. Tried side to side, back to front. A few times each. Saved my shin, though... ;)

I'll try again whilst carrying a couple packages. Maybe it knows....

snagitseven 07-30-2012 03:05 AM

FWIW, it works for me if I stick my foot under the bumper once, pause and stick it under a second time. Waving the foot side to side does not seem to work. Key fob must be in the immediate vicinity. My wife tried it with her key in her purse and it also worked for her.

directorguy7 07-30-2012 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24328856)
Where in your manual? On Page 37 in the Rear Lid section, mine makes no mention of it anywhere.

Page 40 I think. Took the picture with my phone but had to get into work and forgot the number. Its below the 100s in the page numbers. Here is a picture of he manual.

snagitseven 07-30-2012 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by directorguy7 (Post 24329222)
Page 40 I think. Took the picture with my phone but had to get into work and forgot the number. Its below the 100s in the page numbers. Here is a picture of he manual.

Definitely not in my manual. Mine is dated (on the back cover) 05.2012.
What's your manual date?

Nyuni 07-30-2012 03:50 PM

I also have manual 05.212 and no mention of this in there.

I also tried out waggling my foot under the bumper of my 2013 when I got home today - no trunk release. Prestige/Innovation.

snagitseven 07-30-2012 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nyuni (Post 24329434)
I also have manual 05.212 and no mention of this in there.

I also tried out waggling my foot under the bumper of my 2013 when I got home today - no trunk release. Prestige/Innovation.

Don't wag. Place foot under the bumper, pull back, place it a second time. Slight pause between.

Then, shimmy to the left, shimmy to the right, then do the hokey pokey and you turn turn yourself around.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I have the rear lid to lock set to On in the MMI.

directorguy7 07-30-2012 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24329254)
Definitely not in my manual. Mine is dated (on the back cover) 05.2012.
What's your manual date?

Thats weird mine is 05.2012 as well. Page 40 to be exact. For me if I just gently kick the air under the bumper (have to be standing about foot away it will work. Takes it about .5 to 1 second to activate. The best example would be if you were kicking a ball to a small puppy and not wanting to hurt it just roll it over to it. We just got a puppy so thats where the example is coming from (got her the same day as my Audi arrived..so yeah...that day was good. A new Audi AND a new puppy!)

Nyuni 07-31-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24329476)
Don't wag. Place foot under the bumper, pull back, place it a second time. Slight pause between.

Then, shimmy to the left, shimmy to the right, then do the hokey pokey and you turn turn yourself around.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I have the rear lid to lock set to On in the MMI.

Well, I should've been a bit more specific - I did read through the thread and initially tried the forward, back, pause, forward method first. No dice on that... Then I tried a couple variations on that and at different locations under the bumper, no dice. Not sure what I have the rear lid lock set to...

Mickelin 07-31-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24329000)
Yes, the lid unlocks and opens. Not powered but via spring so no auto close button.
Yes, the lid can be opened via the front door switch or the key button.
And two waves of your foot under the bumper.

Strange that they put in the sensor but not the power option that we have in Europe. Could it be a liability issue? Aren't power trunks pretty usual on American cars?

directorguy7 07-31-2012 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mickelin (Post 24329647)
Strange that they put in the sensor but not the power option that we have in Europe. Could it be a liability issue? Aren't power trunks pretty usual on American cars?

The risk of getting a lawsuit controls everything here in "lawsuit happy we want everything with no compromises like we are 5 years old" america.
That's also why we don't get remote window controls. Some kid probably dropped his big mac out the window and reached for it right as his mom forgot he was in the car as she went shopping in Arizona heat and crushed him in the window with remote window control. Somehow that would be the car makers fault and not the user pushing the button here in america... (steps of my soapbox.)

snagitseven 07-31-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mickelin (Post 24329647)

The A7 has a power lid so I doubt it's a liability issue. More likely a cost, design or parts availability issue. The early 2013 A6 order guide showed it as an option but it disappeared when the pricing came out.

dhodory 07-31-2012 05:04 PM

Just tried this tonight (I have a 2013 Prestige), and my car does have this feature. Seemed a bit inconsistent - or maybe I'm just not doing it right - but it's there. Very cool.

snagitseven 07-31-2012 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dhodory (Post 24329922)
Just tried this tonight (I have a 2013 Prestige), and my car does have this feature. Seemed a bit inconsistent - or maybe I'm just not doing it right - but it's there. Very cool.

Yah, it doesn't always work on the first try. Maybe it likes a certain type of shoe. It works for my wife every time though. Go figure.