Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Comfort vs Dynamic - What's your take?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfort vs Dynamic - What's your take?

Since I've taken delivery of my A6 roughly 2 weeks ago, I've driven mainly in Comfort mode (or Auto mode) with close to 500 miles on them. I am not an aggressive driver by nature, so this fits me just fine and it's suggested to go easy on it for the first 1k miles.

However, I've just put 19" DWS06 tires on her along with new 19" wheels and I just put the car in Dynamic mode.

Now, driving this car in Dynamic mode is so much more fun. It feels so responsive and hugs the road so well, it almost feel like a different car (I am exaggerating a little here).

I am not sure if this is entirely all due to the Dynamic mode, or a combination of the new tires/wheels and Dynamic mode. But whatever it is, I am really liking it. I truly believe this car is built to be driven in Dynamic mode full time.

What's your thoughts? Do you prefer Dynamic over Comfort? do you drive Dynamic full time, or only when appropriate for the road conditions?
Old 05-17-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Where are you located? On an US spec A6, Drive Select only adjusts throttle response, shift points and steering weight that would contribute to driving dynamics. The suspension is fixed. What's most noticeable in Dynamic mode is the transmission being put in Sport mode. The same can be accomplished by simply pulling back on the shifter to toggle it between D and S without changing the Drive Select mode. The steering weight difference between Comfort and Dynamic is very subtle on an A6. I barely notice it. I'm used to the more pronounced difference in my RS5. You'll notice the better throttle response and the fact that with the transmission in S, it keeps the engine rpm in the boost zone, so you get an immediate response when stepping on the throttle. In D, the engine hangs out in the low rpm band where you have no boost, but better fuel consumption and the result is a sluggish response.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Where are you located? On an US spec A6, Drive Select only adjusts throttle response, shift points and steering weight that would contribute to driving dynamics. The suspension is fixed. What's most noticeable in Dynamic mode is the transmission being put in Sport mode. The same can be accomplished by simply pulling back on the shifter to toggle it between D and S without changing the Drive Select mode. The steering weight difference between Comfort and Dynamic is very subtle on an A6. I barely notice it. I'm used to the more pronounced difference in my RS5. You'll notice the better throttle response and the fact that with the transmission in S, it keeps the engine rpm in the boost zone, so you get an immediate response when stepping on the throttle. In D, the engine hangs out in the low rpm band where you have no boost, but better fuel consumption and the result is a sluggish response.

I believed what I experienced is the 'throttle response' as you described. I can definitely feel the car short of zoom every time I put my foot on the pedal. I assumed the road handling, maybe due largely to the new tires/wheels.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, if you went from 18s to 19s then the shorter sidewalls will give you sharper turn-in as the tire flexes less than a tire with a longer sidewall. Different tires also have a different stiffness of their sidewalls. The stiffer the more responsive the tire gets to directional changes, but it will also result in less ride comfort.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

that's very true...i can definitely feel a little more bumps and notice more road imperfections....but that's on about 30 miles driving around the city so far
Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I believe that the shift points in Dynamic are the same as if you shifted the stick to S.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The OP may find this A6 C7 ADS summary useful:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...mmary-2853725/
Old 05-17-2016, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The OP may find this A6 C7 ADS summary useful:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...mmary-2853725/

thanks for the link. that was very helpful.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with the OP about S mode. 2 things I don't like/get about Dynamic mode and why I dont use it as my standard.

1: Dynamic mode I figure will auto select S mode. It never does. In dynamic the first time I select to from comfort, it will jump into S mode. but then it stays in s mode. Next time I start the car it is in D mode even though the mode is dynamic? I have tried spirited driving in dynamic but 99% of the time it stays in D mode so I figure whats the point?

2: Since it is always rev happy Dynamic mode is not smart enough to turn S mode off in traffic so it always lurches and hunts in traffic. Stays IN high gear without downshifting so it gets jerky.

I found comfort mode works best and when I want to speed, I dip into S mode from the tranny.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Found like you found a good compromise. I might give that a try.

Quick Reply: Comfort vs Dynamic - What's your take?