Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Video Streaming with Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Video Streaming with Audi Connect

Has anyone tried streaming video from Netflix or HBO Go with the Audi connect while in motion? (Not on the nav screen) Also, has anyone modified via Vagcom for DVD in motion on a model year 2012/2013? I did my 2012 Q5 and it works great, but I know the system was changed in the A6 for 2012. Please let me know. I hopefully geeting the deal I want this week (Q5 trade for A6).
Old 09-30-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
Has anyone tried streaming video from Netflix or HBO Go with the Audi connect while in motion? (Not on the nav screen) Also, has anyone modified via Vagcom for DVD in motion on a model year 2012/2013? I did my 2012 Q5 and it works great, but I know the system was changed in the A6 for 2012. Please let me know. I hopefully geeting the deal I want this week (Q5 trade for A6).
My kids stream Netflixs on an iPad. Some days works perfect, other days, gets lots of pausing and rebuffering. I would say 75% of days is good. Speed testing has the tmobile connection with the Audi supplied SIM with very high ping (around 1000 ms) and speed highly variable between 300 Kbps and 1.5 Mbps. With a tmobile pay as you go SIM I get much faster ping and more consistent steaming experience and speeds. Upstream is always about 100 Kbps.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
I modded my 2013 A6 to have DVD in motion via VAG. I am awaiting the "red" AMI cable to come in tomorrow to test media playing via the iPhone 4s.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mstyle76
I modded my 2013 A6 to have DVD in motion via VAG. I am awaiting the "red" AMI cable to come in tomorrow to test media playing via the iPhone 4s.
Did you receive the red interface cable? Does it work correctly?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine to a local shop and they modded the VIM and several other vag com mods for me. They also sold me into an exhaust while I was there. The VIM worked fine. Not sure about streaming though. I can tell you that I was unable to stream netflix or hulu sound through the bluetooth streaming however, I am able to stream Pandora.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

3G is already outdated... I'm trying to get my car to run data through my phone via bluetooth. My friend's AT&T gets 30(YES THIRTY)Mbps over 4G LTE, I get up to 15 through T-mobile 4G.

The software is there, just have to deal with exceptions.

I haven't worked on it in awhile, busy with life and my car is still being dealt with....
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
3G is already outdated... I'm trying to get my car to run data through my phone via bluetooth. My friend's AT&T gets 30(YES THIRTY)Mbps over 4G LTE, I get up to 15 through T-mobile 4G.

The software is there, just have to deal with exceptions.

I haven't worked on it in awhile, busy with life and my car is still being dealt with....
30? What city is your friend in? I have gotten a MAX of 9 Mbps in LA on AT&T LTE
Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

We're both in San Antonio, Texas

His is the top one, mine is the bottom one trying to beat him... no luck, maxed out at 15mpbs. At home I have a 20mpbs connection so I'm pretty stumped... I'm trying to get out of Tmobile contract now.

I think what's amazing is his 17upload... It's absolutely redic... not many phones have 4G LTE capability yet, that's the explanation if anyone is wondering.

Last edited by Metallic-Force; 10-03-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, we've all been talking about this "red cable" for quite some time now, and many already have used it with success to play video content from their apple devices on the nav screen itself.... BUT, does anyone know whether there's a red cable equivalent for android devices? I haven't yet purchased/tested the standard OEM MMI micro-usb cable with my Droid Razr, but I'd assume it's the same as all the others available online, and only handles the audio content from the phone rather than any video. Any ideas for getting an android phone's video content to play on the nav screen?

My kids have tried using the car's data connection to stream Netflix on their ipod touches and Nooks ... but it's just way too slow depending where we're driving. My goal, then, is to use my Razr w/ 4G LTE to play Netflix movies for them on the nav screen (I have VIM already -- thanks Manish!); but unless I can stream that video from my Razr to the MMI over bluetooth (seems to work for audio only), or find a red cable equivalent with a micro-usb connector, am I essentially SOL?

TIA for any thoughts/input.

Kevin
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am awaiting the "red" AMI cable to come in tomorrow to test media playing via the iPhone 4s.
What is the "red" AMI cable? Do I need it for the iPhone 5? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Video Streaming with Audi Connect