Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Vinyl wrap - roof and chrome pieces.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl wrap - roof and chrome pieces.

Hello everyone, I recently picked up a 2015 A6 Premium Plus TDI on a 42 month lease. I'm planning on doing gloss black vinyl on the roof and chrome pieces, and slightly tinting the tail lights and maybe head lights. I'm also considering wrapping the rear valance and mirrors. Herein lies my question: I think doing it all in gloss black will look great on Ibis White, however I'm toying with the idea of doing the mirrors and valance in the textured carbon fiber look 3m wrap. I'm apprehensive though, worried it'll be juvenile looking or just plain cheap and ugly!

Anyone have any advice or insight for me? One last thought, I could also do the mirrors in aluminum wrap, then, however I would have 3 or more colors on the car; Ibis white, gloss black, carbon fiber (maybe) and aluminum/silver (maybe). I think less is more, simple is probably better but I'm hoping some of you will have some greater insight for me as to specifically why or why not?

With Appreciation,
Fionn

Wheels are plasti dipped until I get a set of aftermarket black wheels.
Name:  AB02F26F-4B9B-427F-901F-8CB6209080B4_zpsmzv0lhk1.jpg
Views: 5067
Size:  201.3 KB

Last edited by fionnehs; 06-09-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an A6 not a Scion tC..great looking car the way it is.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not adding racing stripes and purple led's underneath! So, to my ears what your saying is K.I.S.S. Is that about right?
Originally Posted by GoinAudiMyMind
It's an A6 not a Scion tC..great looking car the way it is.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It's very subjective. Some will like it, some will think Shamoo escaped...

It vinyl, give it a try and peel it off if it's too much. Here's some shots.

RS7
Name:  RS7%20vinyl%2004_zpsnhuspxhq.jpg
Views: 2698
Size:  104.2 KB

A7
Name:  S7%20vinyl%2002_zps5vld24iw.jpg
Views: 9896
Size:  45.0 KB

Carbon Fiber roof
Name:  vinyl%20top%2002_zpseop62d5v.jpg
Views: 5452
Size:  53.5 KB
The following users liked this post:
Seanck (02-06-2021)
Old 06-11-2015, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

For the life of me, I don't get it. To some extend the roof perhaps, everything else does not make it better in my view.

You got an already great looking car.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fionnehs
I'm not adding racing stripes and purple led's underneath! So, to my ears what your saying is K.I.S.S. Is that about right?
Definitely. Wheels and window tint maybe, nothing more. Just my .02
Old 06-11-2015, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have not seen a vinyl black roof enhance the look of any car, not even a Scion tC. As for tinting the lights, it only serves to reduce luminous output and therefore reduces your own viewing capability and your ability to be seen by others. Any modification that reduces safety to you or others is a bad idea.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly, vinyl and plastidip are not permanent, that appeals greatly to me for taste reasons and Lease reasons. I appreciate your input!
PS. thanks for the pictures, although I knew that I didn't want flat black vinyl, it just looks too juvenile, not bad, just fits younger people better, I'm not 20 years old anymore, if I was I'm sure I wouldn't be able to resist going flat black on the whole car! The 3rd picture with the carbon fiber roof looks too flat black, so I'm gonna say that carbon fiber vinyl is out, I'm just considering gloss black now, nothing else.

Originally Posted by tenspeed

RS7

A7

Carbon Fiber roof

Your view seems to be the majority, I appreciate it! As much as I don't care what other people think my work involves many people getting in my car, I don't want my car to give a poor first impression.
Originally Posted by hhhoffme
For the life of me, I don't get it. To some extend the roof perhaps, everything else does not make it better in my view.

You got an already great looking car.

Thanks again.
Originally Posted by GoinAudiMyMind
Definitely. Wheels and window tint maybe, nothing more. Just my .02
I'm going to disagree on the roof, almost every car on the road looks better with a gloss black roof in my opinion, we're all welcome to our opinions thought and your's holds equal validity to mine. I do actually agree entirely onto light tint, I would NEVER put a dark film on front or rear lights. IF I do the lights it will be the lightest film they offer. I just like the lightly smoked look, where less light goes into the light housing but light output is not affected, if that's actually possible. I'd also love to hide or get rid of the amber reflector in the headlights, for the life of me I don't know why auto manufactures still put those in, amber bulbs work great and don't throw a random ugly bright colored piece of plastic on the car. Don't the 2016 A6's have lightly tinted tail lights?

Originally Posted by DB22
I have not seen a vinyl black roof enhance the look of any car, not even a Scion tC. As for tinting the lights, it only serves to reduce luminous output and therefore reduces your own viewing capability and your ability to be seen by others. Any modification that reduces safety to you or others is a bad idea.

Last edited by fionnehs; 06-11-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed

RS7

A7

Carbon Fiber roof
Man do they look ugly IMO. I too am in the camp of I just don't get why people want to do this to a $55K to $60K vehicle. Reminds me of some 18-20 year old trying to make a cheap vehicle look good
Old 06-12-2015, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Man do they look ugly IMO. I too am in the camp of I just don't get why people want to do this to a $55K to $60K vehicle. Reminds me of some 18-20 year old trying to make a cheap vehicle look good
Plus 1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vinyl wrap - roof and chrome pieces.