Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

VW/Audi emissions cheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default VW/Audi emissions cheating issue

If I am reading this correctly, Audi is saying some US A6’s might be involved in the cheating:

VW's Audi says 2.1 mn cars worldwide fitted with emission-cheating software

Perhaps the affected A6 models were only sold in ROW, the article isn’t clear on this.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 179 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
If I am reading this correctly, Audi is saying some US A6’s might be involved in the cheating:

VW's Audi says 2.1 mn cars worldwide fitted with emission-cheating software

Perhaps the affected A6 models were only sold in ROW, the article isn’t clear on this.
Don't think so. So far the only cars affected are the 1.6 and 2.0 diesel engines and for the A6 (at least in Europe) only those that were not designated "Ultra" and that in effect means 177bhp 2.0 TDi cars built prior to May 2014. Probably also affects C6 cars with the 2.0 TDi engine (especially those post facelift). From what I have read one of the triggers for the software to go into "naughty" mode is that it detects the front wheels rotating fast and the rears stationary. If nothing else the cart needs to override the ESP systems when in test otherwise it would cut the engine power because it thinks you are skidding. Most 3.0 A6 diesels are quattro so this software "switch" will not work. That is not to say that 3.0 cars do not have some other means of cheating the system but the current one does not appear to apply. The 13000 cars in the US affected will be A3s and A4s
Old 09-28-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Don't think so. So far the only cars affected are the 1.6 and 2.0 diesel engines and for the A6 (at least in Europe) only those that were not designated "Ultra" and that in effect means 177bhp 2.0 TDi cars built prior to May 2014. Probably also affects C6 cars with the 2.0 TDi engine (especially those post facelift). From what I have read one of the triggers for the software to go into "naughty" mode is that it detects the front wheels rotating fast and the rears stationary. If nothing else the cart needs to override the ESP systems when in test otherwise it would cut the engine power because it thinks you are skidding. Most 3.0 A6 diesels are quattro so this software "switch" will not work. That is not to say that 3.0 cars do not have some other means of cheating the system but the current one does not appear to apply. The 13000 cars in the US affected will be A3s and A4s
In Asia the 2.0 TDi A6 is very popular. Diesel prices are significantly cheaper than gasoline in many of the Asian countries. In addition some of the countries, Audi diesel models are the same price or cheaper. So he A6 C7 with the 2.0 TDi would fall in those categories, would they not? I know here are already class action lawsuits being filed on Korea for the TDi including A6 owners with 2.0 TDi.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seems like the A6 is affected.

Audi and Skoda say 3.3m cars have 'cheat' emissions software - Audi and Skoda say 3.3m cars have 'cheat' emissions software - BBC News
Old 09-28-2015, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 179 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Seems like the A6 is affected.

Audi and Skoda say 3.3m cars have 'cheat' emissions software - Audi and Skoda say 3.3m cars have 'cheat' emissions software - BBC News
There is one thing having the software and quite another using it to evade the emissions test. Whilst this cars, if tested in the US, would have failed there is as yet no conformed evidence to suggest they failed test in other regions inducing Europe where most of them are. Too many journalists seem to be writing ill informed articles based on speculation rather than waiting for the authorities and VAG to provide the facts. I am in no way condoning what VAG have done I just find the way it is being handled in the media to be nothing short of sensationalist
Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting article:

Will Volkswagen Have to Sell Audi? - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (ADR) (NYSE:HMC) - 24/7 Wall St.

The 2018 Fiat Chrysler Audi A8 should be a beaut!!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Interesting article:

Will Volkswagen Have to Sell Audi? - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (ADR) (NYSE:HMC) - 24/7 Wall St.

The 2018 Fiat Chrysler Audi A8 should be a beaut!!
So that journalists opinion matters? There is a huge commonality between VW and Audi. I don't see it happening.

In the case of BP, many vertically integrated oil companies have sold off various assets over the past several years. Not a big deal to them as an awful lot of the oil companies assets are for long term exploration potential, not short term profit anyway.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
So that journalists opinion matters? There is a huge commonality between VW and Audi. I don't see it happening.

In the case of BP, many vertically integrated oil companies have sold off various assets over the past several years. Not a big deal to them as an awful lot of the oil companies assets are for long term exploration potential, not short term profit anyway.
But VW's deception could result in huge dollars being awarded in class action suits. Nothing infuriates a court more than when a company uses deceptive practices to avoid obeying the law. So even though it may not be in VW's best business interests to sell Audi, they may have no choice. I've read estimates that the total cost to VW for remediation, fines, and the settlement of class action suits could exceed $35B.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sly1
But VW's deception could result in huge dollars being awarded in class action suits. Nothing infuriates a court more than when a company uses deceptive practices to avoid obeying the law. So even though it may not be in VW's best business interests to sell Audi, they may have no choice. I've read estimates that the total cost to VW for remediation, fines, and the settlement of class action suits could exceed $35B.
A German auto analyst pegged the risk at $50 billion in a release today. Imagine the impact on the product plan with that loss of funding.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi Announces U.S. Models Affected By Dieselgate

Quick Reply: VW/Audi emissions cheating issue