Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Whining/Grinding Noise From Front Axles

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see the steering mechanism being the issue, as the frequency of the sound increases with the wheel speed (final drive shaft rotaional speed increase)... so it is definitely the differntial/axles/knuckle etc.

The fact that even some 3.0t drivers are experiencing this tells me that it is not CVT related.

I think what I am being sold by the dealer/Audi Tech is a bunch of BS and I feel its a CV joint design/length issue.

Lets see!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

UPDATE #2 Jun 1st

The final differential fluid level was topped off as suggested by AudiTech but to no avail. The sound is still there.

Stopped by the dealer this a.m. to get some stuff out of my car and was told that an Audi field Rep will be coming by later today to look into the matter!

I think I(we) might be on to something here!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope it all works out for you!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default UPDATE #3 Jun 6th

UPDATE #3 Jun 6th

Just got a call from the dealer! Audi-Tech has authorized a new transmission to be ordered. They would not allow the dealership to disassemble the old to find out which part is failing or close to failure! They should have the new tranny in by early next week. I am hoping this is it! But we shall see!

They have been really understanding about this issue! I was thinking that they would just send me on my way stating that they can't figure it out!

I know another user here darcivic00si has similar symptoms with his car! Well hopefully I have set the precedent here!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I am wondering if we have different problems. Since I have the 8 speed and you have the CVT transmission....I wonder if the tranny really is your problem or not.

I won't be able to take my car in to get this checked out because I have a trip to Germany planned. I suppose if it breaks down on me over there, I will be in good hands anyways, lol.

Thanks for the updates!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any update? I have the same car but its fine right now, didn't really research much about the CVT when I bought it, seems like this is a trouble spot with Audi's. I guess it would be wise to buy the extended warranty once my car hits 4 years/50k. Any idea how much that is?

Keep us updated on your issue. Who is your dealer in NJ?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know if the CVT in the 2012 A6 is redesigned? I was reading around and noticed a lot of people have problems with this CVT.....and they can't do much because the dealer usually wants $9k to repair. Surprised that Audi does not step up and at least goodwill 50% of the repair. I don't know about you guys but I don't think I could stomach such an expensive repair.

My plan was to keep this car for the next 8 years. My best bet would be to get a extended warranty after the 4/50k expires, anyone know any good warranties? Does Audi offer one?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Does anyone know if the CVT in the 2012 A6 is redesigned? I was reading around and noticed a lot of people have problems with this CVT.....and they can't do much because the dealer usually wants $9k to repair. Surprised that Audi does not step up and at least goodwill 50% of the repair. I don't know about you guys but I don't think I could stomach such an expensive repair.

My plan was to keep this car for the next 8 years. My best bet would be to get a extended warranty after the 4/50k expires, anyone know any good warranties? Does Audi offer one?
For that very reason (the CVT) is why I have held off buying the 2.0. They now have an option for the 8 speed transmission and while it's about $2,000 more (but also includes Quattro) - I believe it will be worth getting.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default UPDATE #4 Jun 13th

UPDATE #4 Jun 13th

Picked up the car yesterday! Brand new CVT(not rebuilt) was installed and the noise has disappeared. (for now - let's hope it doesn't come back). The issue was with the final drive on the CVT.

Looked at the repair invoice... they changed everything - kuckle, bearings, rotors, axles, before determinng it was the CVT. Not sure if they put all the other older parts back in. Probably not.

Total bill was for about $10k which ofcourse Audi footted!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

aretardedorange FYI - I have been dealing with DCH Millburn Audi... very pleasant experience so far! Nice bunch of people to deal with!

Quick Reply: Whining/Grinding Noise From Front Axles