AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   Why isn’t it fun? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/why-isn%92t-fun-2802246/)

kwilkins 03-16-2011 08:56 AM

Why isn’t it fun?

I’m in the market for a new car and have narrowed down choices to the 2102 Audi A6, the Audi A7, and the BMW 550i Gran Turrismo xDrive. I’ve test driven the BMW GT a couple of times, and obviously haven’t driven the A7 or A6 because they are not yet available in the US.

I have read all the available early reviews on the A6 and A7, and also watched the video reviews available. Most of the reviews are very positive on both cars, the A7 in particular. However, a number of the reviews describes the Audis as “not fun” or “lacking excitement” and the lack of feeling in the steering is criticized in nearly all of the reviews. Why is this?

The only Audi I have driven was a 2011 A8, it was a test drive. I did notice the steering really lacked any kind of feel and it felt a bit strange when cornering. I just assumed this was because of the top-end luxury nature of the A8. In reading the reviews of the A6 and A7 it seems the journalist are criticizing the cars for lacking in enthusiasm.

Can anyone familiar with Audis tell me what you think of these comments? I really love the A7 in particular (based on photos and specs) but I want my car to be fun.

Ken

Blownaway 03-17-2011 03:39 PM

I just got back from the launch and spent two days with both A6/A7. The new A6 feels like a large S4. It is a ton of fun and one of the best suspension combos in a new Audi I have driven in a while. The new seats are also the most comfortable. The car is also very agile and with more torque and HP over the 2011 its a no brainer. It is also a very mean looking vehicle with the next generation LED headlights. Same designer as the R8 based on the stare of an Eagle.

I will post some pictures up shortly.

Gear Junky 03-17-2011 11:34 PM

If 5GT x-drive was impressive it you then the C7 A6/7 will blow you away, in comparison it feel positively sportscar like and with the optional sportdiff you get a real sense that the chassis will do you bidding. Another thing, the 5er x-drive models use the old and dare I say better hydraulic steering instead of the rwd's electronic steering system, so what I am trying to say is that the normal 5 series is even worse, and offers no better steering feel than any modern Audi. This even holds true for the new M5.

The previous poster is correct about the new A6/7, they feel remarkably similar to the S4 which in many people's eyes is the best non RS Audi in recent times and well ahead of the competition, well guess what, the same will be true of these two models as well.

Audi is on a roll and it's only the start of it.

kwilkins 03-18-2011 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Blownaway (Post 24118177)
I just got back from the launch and spent two days with both A6/A7. The new A6 feels like a large S4. It is a ton of fun and one of the best suspension combos in a new Audi I have driven in a while. The new seats are also the most comfortable. The car is also very agile and with more torque and HP over the 2011 its a no brainer. It is also a very mean looking vehicle with the next generation LED headlights. Same designer as the R8 based on the stare of an Eagle.

I will post some pictures up shortly.

Thanks Tim. I'm eagerly looking forward to the photos and your review.

Did you drive booth the A6 and the A7? If so, how would you compare the two against each other?

Blownaway 03-18-2011 06:49 AM

I drove both. You can feel the extra inches in wheelbase on the A7. It is such a nice driving vehicle. I was shocked at how large it was. The trunk can hold four sets of clubs and thats not with the seats folded down. Its massive. When you want to through it around, the car is very agile. It is about time Audi got the suspension right. The A7 floats over tough roads, but when you through it into corners, it responds.

The A6 in my opinion felt sportier. Like I said earlier, it felt like a larger S4 and will definately take business away from the 5 series and E class for sure.

Dare I say, I think both cars are GAME CHANGERS!

kwilkins 03-18-2011 07:04 AM

Thanks Tim, they sound like great cars and I’m eager to get behind the wheel of the A7.

Was the launch you were at in Germany or the US? If Germany, were the models you drove European spec or US spec? Did the A7 have the air suspension option?

Blownaway 03-18-2011 07:54 AM

these were Euro Spec vehicles with the 7 Speed DSG transmission. (Same as S4) The launch and training was in Dallas Texas. All of the cars had Drive Select.

darkop 03-18-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Blownaway (Post 24118387)
these were Euro Spec vehicles with the 7 Speed DSG transmission. (Same as S4) The launch and training was in Dallas Texas. All of the cars had Drive Select.

The ADS is standard on C7 A6/7 and A8!

kwilkins 03-18-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by darkop (Post 24118467)
The ADS is standard on C7 A6/7 and A8!

I was asking about the air suspension option, which I don't think is part of the ADS but rather an additional option. I've read and been told the air suspension is not coming to the US launch.

Blownaway 03-19-2011 06:36 AM

No Air Suspension.