Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Why are some of the "hacks" not default features?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawg
I too am debating if I will keep the cable or sell it. I plan to stay with Audi for a while to come so I hope this cable will still work for the C8. Dont know when I will use it again after my tweaks and the tweaks on my Wife's CC to include enabling her BT.
Any trip to the dealer creates a chance that your settings will be overwritten by a software update. You'll kick yourself if you sell the cable and then need it again in short order.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not sure that's the reason as the window pinch sensors work the same with the fob as when using the door window switches.
They do. Tested that with a roll up towel. However, I have seen an overtemp error code in VCD when using the that feature.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My biggest concern with the tweaks that I have done concern the LED DRL(not full LED). Is it safe running the @ 75% all the time? I assume that Audi drops them down low with the headlights on for a reason.
Audi has the DRL set to drop intensity to avoid excessive glare to oncoming drivers when the headlights are also on. I tried 75% and it's too bright overall. 50% with the headlights on seemed about right.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Any trip to the dealer creates a chance that your settings will be overwritten by a software update. You'll kick yourself if you sell the cable and then need it again in short order.
Yeah, I could see that. I got it for $325 shipped on Ebay. I guess since I've gotten over the initial shock I may end up keeping it for that reason alone. It would suck now after getting used to the tweaks to have them gone all of a sudden. I guess telling the dealer to leave them alone is opening a can of worms since we aren't supposed to have access?

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Audi has the DRL set to drop intensity to avoid excessive glare to oncoming drivers when the headlights are also on. I tried 75% and it's too bright overall. 50% with the headlights on seemed about right.
Yeah, I was looking at that yesterday. It was still light out and it was pretty bright. I see your point that at night it could be overbearing.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, I could see that. I got it for $325 shipped on Ebay. I guess since I've gotten over the initial shock I may end up keeping it for that reason alone. It would suck now after getting used to the tweaks to have them gone all of a sudden. I guess telling the dealer to leave them alone is opening a can of worms since we aren't supposed to have access?
Well, some dealers frown on mods and others have no problem with them but if there's a module update, it could be difficult to get it w/o losing some mods in that module to the default. Where it gets troublesome with a dealer is when someone screws up the car by playing with VCDS in areas that should be left alone by anyone not an Vag-Com expert. Then, asking a dealer to reload software or worse, to replace an MMI module under warranty, would likely be rewarded with howls of laughter and a hand out for your credit card.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
They do. Tested that with a roll up towel. However, I have seen an overtemp error code in VCD when using the that feature.
A towel? Come on dude! I stuck my hand in there. Be a man. One less finger (or hand) isn't gonna kill you!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
A towel? Come on dude! I stuck my hand in there. Be a man. One less finger (or hand) isn't gonna kill you!
Actually, the roll up towel was left laying across the window after washing my car. When using the key fob to close all the windows, the one with the towel went up and came back down.

I'm sure the wife will love to test that feature with our head hanging across the window
Old 05-16-2014, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default are you in the SF area?

Any of you in the SF area that have the equipment? Maybe you can make the changes to my car for a fee?
Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got back to checking in on my original posting. Thanks everyone for all of the responses.

I just bit the bullet and ordered the cable.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

The features are a default. You just didn't buy the right model.
Same reason the mufflers have the output for quad tips but only two installed.