Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi music stream in 2013 A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi music stream in 2013 A6

Hi -

I just got the audi music stream app from the UK itunes store. My A6 detected it, and I can stream internet radio. The only problem is that every time I change stations there is a 30 second delay while the system plays some generic music and says something like "connection to music stream".

I can stream internet radio over bluetooth without any delay so I know this is an artificial pause.

Is there any way to disable this 30 second delay?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nikzil
Hi -

I just got the audi music stream app from the UK itunes store. My A6 detected it, and I can stream internet radio. The only problem is that every time I change stations there is a 30 second delay while the system plays some generic music and says something like "connection to music stream".

I can stream internet radio over bluetooth without any delay so I know this is an artificial pause.

Is there any way to disable this 30 second delay?

Thanks!
Nope, the network speed in the USA is too slow, Audi is supposed to be coming out with a LTE Network compatible Audi A7, A6 & A8. but for now,
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

it's definitely not the network speed, since when I play the same stream on the phone it starts within 2 seconds.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When you play it on the phone are you using your Wifi in your car or are you using your phones own data connection? The internet radio stations play perfectly in the app when I am streaming using my iPhone data connection but as soon as I connect to the wifi in the car it takes a while to buffer due to T-Mobiles slow speeds.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

That's why I stopped using the Audi Music Stream application, it was annoying slow to get going or change channels. I'm now using another Internet radio app on my iPhone 4S that is connected via BT (not Wifi) to the MMI and changing channels is almost instant. IIRC there is a setting in the Audi music stream app though where you can set the buffer size. A smaller buffer should allow it to start playing sooner but it may stop more frequently if the download speed is not fast enough.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stevial
Nope, the network speed in the USA is too slow, Audi is supposed to be coming out with a LTE Network compatible Audi A7, A6 & A8. but for now,
Will this be a retrofit, or will this be something for 2014 cars only?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nikzil
it's definitely not the network speed, since when I play the same stream on the phone it starts within 2 seconds.
You have to be connected to the Audi WiFi in order to use the audi music stream, its the slow network that T-mobile is using as a connection to the internet.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
Will this be a retrofit, or will this be something for 2014 cars only?
I have been waiting to here more about a possible retrofit. That would be nice....

But would it be a module somewhere on the fire wall or require changing the SIM card slot and it's hardware?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not problem streaming internet radio via my iPhone using the iPhone's own Cell connection.

The WifI-to-Aud-to-Internet via Audi connect is too slow.

I turned on Data Roaming and at least I can now connect. I am guessing that the Free 6 months does not have a specific region attached to it so you have to "Roam." I am very reluctant to sign up for a plan after that 6 months. Google Earth is cool, but not work $30 per month.

It's bad enough I pay for Siruis/XM..LOL..

Mike
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

As far as I know, the 3G modem is integrated into the MMI head unit. If a retrofit will ever be possible I'm sure it would require to change the MMI head unit which will be expensive.

Quick Reply: Audi music stream in 2013 A6