Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

WiFi in 2013 Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Handbrake was a bust.

Trying EasiestSoft DVD Ripper now...trial version
Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I used iTunes Home Sharing before on a network that had no Internet connectivity (Mac Mini, two iPad, CradlePoint WiFi router, no modem) and it was working fine with handbraked DVDs. I did never try to have the Mac Mini/iPad join the Audi WiFi though.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Um....it mixed the various versions by language LMAO...

Learning Curve...

Keeps jumping between languages !

Mike
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a 2013 Q7, here is what I know.
I have the T-Mobile service and it is pretty slow, it is 3G only not 4G. I'm in the Dallas area so coverage is good where I live but boot up times are slow. I had my iPhone 5 connected fine to the cars WiFi hotspot, but using the phone in the car for Google searches ext is much slower then just using the ATT LTE. I was able to do a FaceTime Video call over the cars WiFi and it was pretty good.
The T-Mobile service is also Unlimited Data, so you know its going to be slow, I got the 50% off for 3 years, like $300 bucks so why not.
Now for iTunes Home Sharing, I'm not sure I follow you but I know this.
You cannot stream iTunes outside of your Home WiFi, that's why its called Home Sharing.
So if you rip a DVD with Handbrake, load it into iTunes, jump in your Audi and fire up your iPhone it won't work. You need something like AirVideo or Plex to get this out over the internet, or you could sit in your car in the garage and watch it.
Hope that helps ya.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
Handbrake was a bust.

Trying EasiestSoft DVD Ripper now...trial version
Really? I've used Handbrake for years and found it to be fast and reliable.

If you'd like help debugging the process, let me know. If my 78 year old father can do it, you can too.

(Granted, he's a radiologist, and I don't know what your specialty is...)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LMAO!

I have a iMac 27 with SSD and 2 TB Hard drive, 8 gigs ram, i7 Quad Core at 3.4 gig, a thunderbolt connected 6 tb raid, and I have used Handbrake for about 6 years (on my windows machine first). I know how to use it but its so painfully slow........

When I'm 78, perhaps I'll be more patient LOL....I'm General and Trauma Surgeon, also do Vascular and Thoracic surgery, have a BS in BioMedical Engineering with minor in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Summa *** Laude Boston University. So I'm not technically challenged.

I was going to get a Mac Pro tower at the time I bought this iMac but the price is quite high LOL....my understanding is that few programs can use the multicores to the max advantage, so I am not sure that Handbrake would be any faster.

I first downloaded a missing 64 bit part to handbrake when I first opened the program yesterday to try ripping. I had never used the Handbrake to rip first, I thought you had to first use MacTheRipper. But the more I read I realize that Handbrake can "do it all".

I'll fire it up again now and let it run....

As far as in car iTunes Home Sharing, IT DOES WORK in the car while on the T-mobile internet connection, I was able to stream MUSIC (now that's CD's I ripped, not iTunes purchased music) but I have not yet tried the non-iTunes videos in the car ( have some home videos I can use, Apple did not make those LOL).

I'll let you know.

As far as internet connectivity, my son has an iPhone 3s which uses 3g, and there is simply no comparison in speed between the car's connection and his iPhone. My 4s uses the '4g' what ever that really is LOL, and it fast. I can use skype on the cellular network and that works pretty good with the iPhone's own connection, but facetime via the wifi (which fools the iphone LOL) is not usable.

I think there is some configuration problem with my cars cell connection but I cannot confirm and am resistant to purchase the regular pay as you go plan as opposed to using up the remainder of the 6 month free plan.

I have little blocks of time when I can work on it as you could image. Every third night of call is busy.....

Mike

(love the car though .
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll post the report I get from Handbrake, perhaps you can help me out! Or your Granddad could LOL...

Still want a mac tower Would have gotten one if they added Thunderbolt! Love the speed of the Lacie 6 TB raid configured as 3 tb mirror.....nice backup!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ibdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!

still 'scanning'
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ok, handbrake just crashed.

Which File Do you pick on the DVD???

Mike
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I got handbrake working again.

It simply hangs on the dvd Star Wars Episode IV....I'll have to try that one again, it's release date says 2004, as it's the redone version).

I tried Matix 2001 release....which did the same slow scan, but then I finally saw a progress bar within the Handbrake main window (after watching the Activity Window go on and on).

I found out I needed to have VLC installed as well, (had an older version). Apparently you need that ap installed, not necessarily running, very strange requirement on a MAC. Does Handbrake look for it? I could see on a windows machine there being a need for some extra DLL that Handbrake would then have access to but on a mac the programs are not that invasive.

It's currently encoding Matrix.