Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Windshield replacement travails

Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This saga just keeps getting worse. Yet again, they installed the wrong windshield on my car. Despite allegedly confirming and ordering the correct windshield from Inskip Audi in Warwick RI, Safelite installed a non-HUD windshield. Not only that, but the windshield has several scratches on its exterior (noted by the installer), and the installer somehow messed up my windshield wipers as the driver side wiper is banging against the rubber seal on the edge of the windshield. He also left little pieces of rubber all over the interior of my car and some kind of residue on my rear view mirror. If it weren't happening to me, it would be somewhat comical.

I called my insurer and was put in touch with someone on the Safelite Executive Response team (she was very nice and apologetic) and was assured they would fix this. The local manager and regional manager are supposed to call Audi tomorrow and call me back.

I've been pretty calm with everyone I've spoken to. I just want my car in the same state it was in before the rock cracked my windshield. I guess I'll see what they come up with tomorrow. In hindsight I should have been suspicious that they ordered a HUD windshield on Friday morning of last week and supposedly had it on Monday.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwboston
This saga just keeps getting worse. Yet again, they installed the wrong windshield on my car. Despite allegedly confirming and ordering the correct windshield from Inskip Audi in Warwick RI, Safelite installed a non-HUD windshield. Not only that, but the windshield has several scratches on its exterior (noted by the installer), and the installer somehow messed up my windshield wipers as the driver side wiper is banging against the rubber seal on the edge of the windshield. He also left little pieces of rubber all over the interior of my car and some kind of residue on my rear view mirror. If it weren't happening to me, it would be somewhat comical.

I called my insurer and was put in touch with someone on the Safelite Executive Response team (she was very nice and apologetic) and was assured they would fix this. The local manager and regional manager are supposed to call Audi tomorrow and call me back.

I've been pretty calm with everyone I've spoken to. I just want my car in the same state it was in before the rock cracked my windshield. I guess I'll see what they come up with tomorrow. In hindsight I should have been suspicious that they ordered a HUD windshield on Friday morning of last week and supposedly had it on Monday.

Sorry to hear about your problems. But that time frame isn't ridiculous if the window is in stock. Safelite ordered mine last Thursday and had it Monday. Thankfully except for some minor debris they didn't clean up everything else looks good.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really sucks that they keep messing this up for you. Glad to hear you handling it so calmly. Letting people know you are upset but in a reasonable manner usually gets the best results. I also find it highly improbable that they would have ordered your HUD windshield and gotten it that quickly. Mine didn't come in anywhere near that quick but as we know there are great variations among dealers.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure what's really going on. I spoke to Safelite and the dealer parts department this morning. Safelite claims that they ordered the correct part number - 4G0845099BNVB - for an A6 with HUD. The parts department says that's what they ordered and delivered to them. But that's clearly not what was installed on my car. Safelite says they are going to order another windshield using the correct part number and go from there. They are also sending someone out this morning to re-align my wipers.

The only other thing I can think of is that the HUD is somehow malfunctioning. It worked fine just prior to the initial windshield swap.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found something interesting related to the HUD and the windshield on the Audi site: http://audiusnews.net/newsrelease.do...w-audi&mid=108

To avoid double images, the windshield and its soundproofing safety film have a slightly tapered profile. They are manufactured with utmost precision; minute deviations from the ideal surface nevertheless cannot be avoided entirely. Audi has therefore installed an optical measuring system at the end of the production line on which the A7 Sportback and the new A6 are built. It analyzes the deviations to a thousandth of a millimeter and recalibrates the mirrors in the head-up display accordingly.
My dealer is telling me they don't think the HUD needs to be re-calibrated, and that they have replaced windshields on cars with HUD with no problem. They think the glass is the issue. I guess after I get the third replacement, if it's still an issue I'll take it in and have them take a look at it.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife had the drivers side wiper fly off the wiper arm in a downpour a couple of days ago while on the highway w/her 2014 TDI. Resulting swipes scratched the windshield. New glass being installed today.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer is telling me they don't think the HUD needs to be re-calibrated, and that they have replaced windshields on cars with HUD with no problem. They think the glass is the issue. I guess after I get the third replacement, if it's still an issue I'll take it in and have them take a look at it.
AFAIK, the elsa manual calls for a calibration of the HUD after a windshield replacement. I'll check tonight and post.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jatmobil
AFAIK, the elsa manual calls for a calibration of the HUD after a windshield replacement. I'll check tonight and post.
Thanks. I'm still waiting for the third replacement (this one is scratched to hell). They expect to have it on Wednesday.

I did stop by my dealer Saturday so they could take a look at it. The service manager spoke to the shop foreman and said to bring it back once it's replaced, and they would hook it up to their scan tool and try to recalibrate the HUD.

I did ask the Audi dealer prior to the initial replacement if anything special needed to be done and they said no. I called the Audi client relations line after the second replacement, and they got back to me that afternoon and also said no calibration should be required. It's frustrating to get different answers from Audi on this.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go! Straight from the horse's mouth! Look at the caution message! Now only if dealers were as reliable as a noble steed!
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jatmobil
Here you go! Straight from the horse's mouth! Look at the caution message! Now only if dealers were as reliable as a noble steed!
Thanks! That is very helpful.

That is unbelievable. I asked the dealer point blank if the HUD needed to be recalibrated and was told it did not. I called Audi and was initially told no, then later told it might need to be recalibrated, but of course would not be covered under warranty. I wish Audi could get its story straight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield replacement travails