Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Windshield sun tint strip

Old 05-05-2015, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Windshield sun tint strip

Does anyone have a sun tint strip on their windshield? I experimented by taping a 6” high piece of double thickness wax paper across the top of my windshield and it eliminated most of the swirls/scratches problem with my instrument cluster. I have seen sun strips at various websites that are available in many degrees of tint. In NYS it is legal to put any kind of tint on the top 6” of the windshield. I am concerned about a few issues: 1) Will it look stupid on a classy car like the A6? 2) Do local stores have them or do I need to order online; and 3) are they removable at the end of my lease?
Thanks
Old 05-05-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any tint shop can do this for you.

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Does anyone have a sun tint strip on their windshield? I experimented by taping a 6” high piece of double thickness wax paper across the top of my windshield and it eliminated most of the swirls/scratches problem with my instrument cluster. I have seen sun strips at various websites that are available in many degrees of tint. In NYS it is legal to put any kind of tint on the top 6” of the windshield. I am concerned about a few issues: 1) Will it look stupid on a classy car like the A6? 2) Do local stores have them or do I need to order online; and 3) are they removable at the end of my lease?
Thanks
Old 05-06-2015, 01:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had the tint shop put a "visor" across the top of the windshield on all of my cars. it is a darker film than on the driver and passenger windows.

It makes a world of difference driving in the early morning and late afternoon Arizona sun.

Cost was $15.

Attached are photos of my 2013 and 2014 A6's with the "visor."
Attached Images   

Last edited by carbuff; 05-06-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I too installed the strip when I tinted all of the windows. I was amazed that my A6 is the only car that I have ever owned that did not come with one. I looked around the parking lot at work and I could not find a car that does not come with one as standard.
I am expecting the C8 A6 to not come standard with a windshield, it will however be offered as an option.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I got it for an extra $20 when I got the other windows tinted for $259. It's all FormulaOne Pinnacle 30% tint. It's closer to 8", going down to that sensor pod on the rear view mirror.

When I first got into the car after it was done, I thought it was a bit too low because it covers half the sky. I'm 5' 7" and my eye level is where I can just see a bit of the hood. But I got used to it, and like how it cuts down on the sun and heat beaming down on your lap, especially since I am in Florida.

I haven't noticed any swirls on my instrument cluster, but after hearing about this issue, I have never wiped it with anything.

My car is black, so it blends in with the roof and you don't notice it. But almost everyone tints their windows in Florida and the windshield strip is common too. You actually look more out of place if your windows aren't tinted and people can see into your car.

Tint can be removed, but I don't think they make you at the end of a lease.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks folks for all the useful responses. In NYS I believe you can only dark tint the top 6", which is OK for me since I am tall and don;t want the sight line cut off too much.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a marker imprinted in the windshield glass called the "AS1" line.
Look for it on the sides of the glass, about 4-6" down from the top.

That's the legal limit in most states for a tint strip.
Above the line is OK. Below the line is not.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

So is Audi, and perhaps Kia, the only company or companies that sell cars in the USA without the strip?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is odd. My C6 has the tint on the factory windshield. It's not very dark but dark enough that it is noticeable.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
There is a marker imprinted in the windshield glass called the "AS1" line.
Look for it on the sides of the glass, about 4-6" down from the top.

That's the legal limit in most states for a tint strip.
Above the line is OK. Below the line is not.
Good info subterFUSE, I see the AS1 marker on the passenger side of front windshield and just a short line marker on left side of windshield on driver side on both our current A4 2012 (soon to go bye bye) and 2015 A4 ... Both of which have mild tint already in the space gradually fading to clear just prior to the marked line.

Will check out my '16 A6 3.0T' tint line when it arrives off the boat in less than a month.
Thanks for the tips on this.

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-08-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield sun tint strip