Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

WINTER TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WINTER TIRES

I live in alaska and have a 20" package for my 2013 A6 Prestige. I want to put on winter tires for the winter up here. any suggestion of type/ where to get them? thank you much
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

You might want to consider getting a set of 18" wheels for your winter setup. 20" snows are going to be rare and really, really expensive. Add in the cost of mounting/balancing tires twice a year and it won't take long to save money by using a second set of wheels. Tirerack is a pretty good source, at least for tires--but I don't know what their shipping up to Alaska will cost.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:00 PM
HDK
AudiWorld Member

I'm going on my second winter (it will be here soon!) on a 2012 A6 Premium Plus with 19" sport package.

I minus sized down to 17" wheels and Blizzak WS70's I also minus sized our 2012 Imprezza from 17" down to 15" wheels also running WS70's

For a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup you may want to consider ordering wheels on-line and obtaining tires locally. Getting after market rims for a late model Audi is next to impossible locally.

I ordered rims for both vehicles from Tire Rack. I got a set of 17" Moda MD11's for the Audi last year for $114.00 each. Cost to ship them to Anchorage was $144.00. Cost would have been quite a bit higher if I had both wheels and tires shipped from them. I got my Blizzaks at Costco (with the usual $70 pre-season rebate) and had the wheels and tires mounted at Morrison. I think the current rebate at Costco is for Michelins (they did have the Xice2's in stock when I checked for the Imprezza).

Blizzaks are a little squishy but that doesn't bother me during the winter...all I want to do is get through the season without balling up the car.

Just my thoughts, YMMV

Regards,
Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 PM
HDK
AudiWorld Member

BTW: I live in Anchorage (thougt I included that in my post above but apparently not)
Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's what I just ordered for mine.
Tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dClar=Prestige
The Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 tires are rated best on Tire Rack. The PA4 is basically the same tire with a slightly higher load rating.

Wheels: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

I didn't want to mess with all season tires for the snow, they really don't perform well over the mountain passes.

Last edited by Notorious Tech; 09-27-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thangcu_lam
I live in alaska and have a 20" package for my 2013 A6 Prestige. I want to put on winter tires for the winter up here. any suggestion of type/ where to get them? thank you much
I got my winter tires package from Audi dealer, they are 18" 225/50/R18 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. My all season 19" were not fit for snow/freezing rain (in Ottawa/Canada). I did buy whole set though (rims/tires) from dealer, but as other members suggested Tire rack is good option,also check with dealer but they will be more expensive than tire rack.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stoulana
I did buy whole set though (rims/tires) from dealer, but as other members suggested Tire rack is good option,also check with dealer but they will be more expensive than tire rack.
My local dealer was 13% higher than TireRack but they will swap tires and store the off season set if you buy from them. There is a value to that.

Personally, I would rather have the wheels stored in my garage where I can keep an eye on them. I put them on and check the suspension and brakes for the upcoming season.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply guys. I am thinking of downsizing to 18" instead of keeping 20" for the winter. However, will I have any issue fitting the 18" on the car since it has sport package and all. thanks. i'm not a grease monkey, just love to drive nice car.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at S6 yesterday at dealer and I don't think 18" would fit at all. I think 19" would be the smallest. The stock 20" had very little clearance.
I ordered 20" winter for mine using stock rims. I know tires would be super expensive but worth it as I have winter at least 5 month a year.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by thangcu_lam
Thanks for the reply guys. I am thinking of downsizing to 18" instead of keeping 20" for the winter. However, will I have any issue fitting the 18" on the car since it has sport package and all. thanks. i'm not a grease monkey, just love to drive nice car.
You will need to get the right offset 18" to clear the brakes, and make sure you select the right tire so the overall rolling diameter stays the same. The Tirerack or Discount Tire websites will help pick these out.

Quick Reply: WINTER TIRES