Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 2014 A6 TDI. I'm taking delivery on Thursday. I found this forum online and hope to have and contribute to a great experience. So welcome to me

I have a question regarding Winter Tire Pacakges. Dealer is quoting me $2,700. Other aftermarket suppliers are around $1,500. What are you opinions on this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Aftermarket without a doubt. I have always found dealer prices to be well over the going market rate and you get nothing more out of the deal other than paying more. I generally order tires from tirerack and have them shipped to me or one of their preferred installers.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Definitely aftermarket. Dealer's pricing will screw you over bigtime

I picked up my winter package at Tirerack last spring when they were on close out:

18" Elbrus I02 wheels with Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires

for about $1,200

You will pay a little more now, but can easily get a great package from tirerack for the $1,500
Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same suggestion. Go aftermarket. I bought from ECS on the wheels. I like them and they are working out great. On my second season with them. I paid just over $1k for the whole set up with rubber.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 AM
CML
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Aftermarket

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 2014 A6 TDI. I'm taking delivery on Thursday. I found this forum online and hope to have and contribute to a great experience. So welcome to me

I have a question regarding Winter Tire Pacakges. Dealer is quoting me $2,700. Other aftermarket suppliers are around $1,500. What are you opinions on this?

Thanks in advance.
There may be an argument for OEM wheels. I bought top-quality aftermarket wheels & winter tires from Tirerack for both my B8A4 and my C6A6. Despite repeated road-force balancings and a variety of centering rings from Tirerack, neither winter set-up is quite as rock-solid at highway speeds as my OEM summer set-ups. There's a bit more vibration. Tirerack customer service is excellent and they made numerous efforts to fix the problems, and the problems are now much smaller than they were originally, but some shimmies persist. Next time I will probably go OEM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went the Tirerack route to on my 2014 A6 TDI. I really like the Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires. No problems with noise or vibration on the pre mounted and balanced Tirerack wheels.

I went cheap and ugly for my wheels with the Sport ST3 for $133 each. I wanted a simple 5 spoke wheel that would be easy to clean because our roads up here in Northern Idaho are virtually mud in the winter time.

Dealers tire prices are just plain ridiculous.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CML
Despite repeated road-force balancings and a variety of centering rings from Tirerack, neither winter set-up is quite as rock-solid at highway speeds as my OEM summer set-ups. There's a bit more vibration.
It likely is the centering ring issue. You can avoid potential issues with those by buying aftermarket wheels with the same hub size as the OEM ones. Some folks, with the quattro may have issues depending on the size of the centering rings

FWIW - my winter wheels do use centering rings and I have had no issues. My rest of the year set-up which are aftermarket Avant Garde wheels have the same hub size as OEM and use no centering rings
Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Get OEM take offs from eBay/forums/wherever. There are a lot that will fit. Pricing is generally good
Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've decided to go OEM. Few issues at hand that I had to deal with. The car is coming on Thursday and I need winter tires now. I've heard mixed reviews on aftermarket vs OEM. For the piece of mind, I spend $1,150 more on OEM rims and tires (Pirelli Winter Contact). I don't want to deal with the BS of vibrations, etc. OEM rims/tires were in stock at the dealer, while most of the good design/brand name rims were all back ordered.

I'll post some pics when it arrives. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Definitely aftermarket. Dealer's pricing will screw you over bigtime

I picked up my winter package at Tirerack last spring when they were on close out:

18" Elbrus I02 wheels with Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires

for about $1,200

You will pay a little more now, but can easily get a great package from tirerack for the $1,500
Hi, I just setup a dls oa10d in my rear deck and powered by Focal monoblock. The deck has been dynamated as well. However the sub vibrates when I go a little louder. It's not due to the deck as the vibes go off if I hold around the rubber surrounds of the sub. Is this normal or I bought a lemon sub ?

What settings do you use for gain, cutoff, boost and subsonic filter ?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires