AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   winter tires or all season ? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/winter-tires-all-season-2963484/)

nperna2 12-04-2018 06:49 PM

winter tires or all season ?

i have p zeros 255/35/20 need to get either winter tires or all season not sure brand to go with also if anyone knows i have 20'' rims live on long island ny to many potholes was wondering if i should go down to 19'' rims and tires for winter and leave 20'' for summer i had pirelli p6 on a4 6sp that where great, tire shop guy says i needs go with a 97y ??

bpd 12-04-2018 10:20 PM

Here is an informative article about selecting snow tires and sizing. Good you are concerned with tire height since potholes show up everywhere with cold weather that can ruin rims. Don't take much to ruin those expensive rims. You don't mention what car you have, but I go to the base size rims for snow tires. Also, the skinnier tires will work better in snow and slush which slices thru snow rather then plow snow. Of course some like the looks of lowest profile. Also Achtuning was having some specials on wheels if they fit your application. I got new set of replica wheels for $400 free shpg. They fit great and I wont feel bad if I damage them.

https://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech...jsp?techid=126

raj99 12-04-2018 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by nperna2 (Post 25244663)
i have p zeros 255/35/20 need to get either winter tires or all season not sure brand to go with also if anyone knows i have 20'' rims live on long island ny to many potholes was wondering if i should go down to 19'' rims and tires for winter and leave 20'' for summer i had pirelli p6 on a4 6sp that where great, tire shop guy says i needs go with a 97y ??

If you really need winter tires, get yourself a set of 18" wheels and buy a great set of winter tires to mount them on. In my case, I've purchased used wheels on CL for a fraction of their cost and then gone with tires, such as: Nokian, Blizzak, etc...

Just make sure that the diameter of the wheels matches what you have today. Since you have 20s, you'll need to ensure the ratio on your 18s is higher. Which will make for a more comfortable ride and far less prone to damage from potholes and the like.

bpd 12-04-2018 11:57 PM

You can go to discounttiredirect,com, select Tires by Vehicle, put in your vehicle info and it will come up with the factory sized tires. Then check "optional tire sizes" and it will give you more options for sizes that is pretty close if not right on to the proper diameter of your stock tire. You can also google "Tire Calculator" to check differences in diameters.

DanfZX14 12-05-2018 03:19 AM

Go with a dedicated set of 18" rims with snow tires and you willl be very happy. If your car is a quattro it will be virtually unstoppable. This car is as amazing in the snow as I hoped it would be!

50pascals 12-05-2018 04:07 AM

I live upstate outside Rochester and I have avoided 20" wheels for any season just because of the potholes. This past spring I ground my skidplate on a paved road!

I have no issue with 19" tires. I have dedicated summer and winters both on 19" wheels.

My advice for snows would be to go narrower than your summer tires. My summers are 255-40-19. My winters are 245-45-19. Doesn't sound like much, but it matters a little.

18" tires will definitely be cheaper than 19's and have more options.

Being on Long Island, you really can't go wrong with any of the snow / ice tires out there. If you lived in an area with heavy snow and salted roads the void space would matter a lot more. You would want a more open tread.

nperna2 12-05-2018 07:29 AM

thanks for all the info, up in air what to do but if i stayed with 20'' what are good all season tires I'm driving new 2016 a6 tdi like pirelli but tire shop says don't have all season that fit spec for that car ?? something about tire has to be 97y or bigger

Dougrey 12-05-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by nperna2 (Post 25244855)
thanks for all the info, up in air what to do but if i stayed with 20'' what are good all season tires I'm driving new 2016 a6 tdi like pirelli but tire shop says don't have all season that fit spec for that car ?? something about tire has to be 97y or bigger

You might research on Tire Rack. I live near Jackson Hole WY and we have very harsh winters with lots of snow and ice. Based on past experience, I think Blizzak's are the best. I currently am running Pirelli Soto Zero and am having an OK experience. I have 19" wheels.

bpd 12-05-2018 12:41 PM

You live in a snow area. You won't be happy with all seasons. If you get tires for current rims, you won't be happy dismounting and mounting. Even with touchless tire mounting machines, rims do get scratched up, just from handling. If you get winter tires mounted on dedicated rims, you can install on the fly. Its all about economics and convenience. Since you have an A6, get 18". You won't regret it, but its individual choice.

KevinGary 12-05-2018 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by nperna2 (Post 25244663)

I also live on Long Island. I am very happy with my 19 inch season dedicated tires. I recently switched from Pilot Alpin PA4s to Yokohama Bluearth Winter V905. The Yokohama’s are better in the snow. The winter tires transform the car in the snow to a complete and total beast. You will not regret the decision.