Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Winter Tires - Should I Get a New Set of Wheels, Too?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires - Should I Get a New Set of Wheels, Too?

Hello, I have 20" wheels with summer tires and am debating just buying 20" winter tires and using the same wheels. What are others' thoughts? Is it better to get a set of 18" or 19" wheels and winter tires, or can I get away with buying 20" winter tires, using the same wheels? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Over the long haul it's cheaper to get the smallest diameter wheel that can be fitted to your car vs. attempting to swap 2X/yr (and risk the associated damage).

I'd contact Gary over at Tire Rack and get a few suggestions from him.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Over the long haul it's cheaper to get the smallest diameter wheel that can be fitted to your car vs. attempting to swap 2X/yr (and risk the associated damage).
+1 on that. The idea of letting some doofus put my wheels on a tire machine twice a year makes me cringe. Even at the most careful shop, I'd say you run at least a 25% chance of damage every time you mount or dismount a tire from a rim.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I talked to Damon at Tire Rack who suggested the smallest size wheel you're comfortable with.

This not only protects the wheel during bad weather from impact, but also (usually) is narrower. In effect, the greater weight on smaller contact patches is thought to give you better traction in snow & ice. The downside is that your car probably won't feel as "planted" on dry roads.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by James517
I talked to Damon at Tire Rack who suggested the smallest size wheel you're comfortable with.

This not only protects the wheel during bad weather from impact, but also (usually) is narrower. In effect, the greater weight on smaller contact patches is thought to give you better traction in snow & ice. The downside is that your car probably won't feel as "planted" on dry roads.
Just be sure to consider carefully how much you're changing the car's set-up with its winter running gear. The difference in feel between a summer tire or even an all-season tire and a dedicated snow tire can be rather dramatic because of how much the tread flexes from side to side. And of course, plan carefully when to switch back and forth between tires, because running winter tires on dry pavement will wear them out in no time. Along those lines, I know some people who buy an electric impact wrench and a floor jack from Harbor Freight Tools and only put their winter tires on the car at home the night before (or morning of) the first big snow. Other people just invest in good quality tire chains and put them on and off as needed.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Best bet is a set of 18 inch wheels for your A6.

The tires are less expensive. They are easier to mount. You don't cringe as bad when you hit a pothole. Your good wheels are not in the salt and slush.

I won't even mention the cost savings if you plow into a curb...
Old 09-18-2013, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
The tires are less expensive. They are easier to mount. You don't cringe as bad when you hit a pothole. Your good wheels are not in the salt and slush.
A-men !
Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spoon2000
+1 on that. The idea of letting some doofus put my wheels on a tire machine twice a year makes me cringe. Even at the most careful shop, I'd say you run at least a 25% chance of damage every time you mount or dismount a tire from a rim.
+2 on this. MUCH easier to have a separate, dedicated set that you can put on yourself, without needing to make an appointment at some shop where there is a chance they'll scratch a wheel. As to your question re: tire size - as others have posted, downsize for snow tires. You'll want more sidewall in the winter to provide more cusion against potholes, and a smaller rim size allows for a taller profile tire so you'll get the extra protection. Also, the selection of snow tires is quite limited in the larger diameters....and expensive. You'll have a much wider assortment and lower cost if you choose 18" wheels and corresponding tires.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grapeking
+2 on this. MUCH easier to have a separate, dedicated set that you can put on yourself, without needing to make an appointment at some shop where there is a chance they'll scratch a wheel. As to your question re: tire size - as others have posted, downsize for snow tires. You'll want more sidewall in the winter to provide more cusion against potholes, and a smaller rim size allows for a taller profile tire so you'll get the extra protection. Also, the selection of snow tires is quite limited in the larger diameters....and expensive. You'll have a much wider assortment and lower cost if you choose 18" wheels and corresponding tires.
Agree with all theses sentiments. In the long run, you are best off buying a second set of wheels in a smaller diameter
Old 09-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone...very much appreciated! I wanted to mention that I have a wheel and tire package that will repair or replace any damage, scrapes, punctures, etc., with no deductible or additional cost. I don't know if this changes any of your recommendations, but I thought I'd at least mention it. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Winter Tires - Should I Get a New Set of Wheels, Too?