Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Worst Nav system in industry

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Worst Nav system in industry

2 months ago when i received my new A6 I detailed all the issues with the Navigation system. 50% success rate on simple addresses like 118 Main st Chicago IL. On more complex addresses that are longitude and latitude based that you would find in the Chicago area like 11N230 westwood drive and 15S430 Nothridge, etc the success rate is about 15%. The sad part is that there are at least 1/4 million address like this in the Chicago/Wisconsin area. My favorites are when I'm sitting in the Best Buy parking lot, search for Best Buy and the BB I'm at is not recognized. It shows the closet one 20 miles away. Had this same thing happen at chain restaurants.

Maybe some of you have had wonderful experiences with this Nav system, but I think it's garbage and the Audi Exec in chatrge of the Nav division needs to be fired. It's just not me. The dealer salesperson laughs about it also as we sit there and try to find addresses to no avail.

My wife forces me to bring a reliable well designed system with us when we go out in my car (Nuvi)

Too bad Audi does not read these forums
Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are using the embedded navi or the google look up? I find most auto navi databases lag by at least 2 years.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by keithl
Are using the embedded navi or the google look up? I find most auto navi databases lag by at least 2 years.
Both. These addresses are 100 years old. The Best Buy has been there for 15 years. It doesn't show 2 houses I lived in 30 years ago
Old 08-06-2013, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My navigation system of choice right now is the iPhone 5 with the very clever Kenu airframe portable car mount. Very accurate, easy to navigate and actually fun to use via siri. This is one of the reasons why I think Apple and their iOS in the car initiative will be very successful. Too bad Audi does not yet seem to be on board with this...

I gave up on the embedded navigation system on my MY12 A6 after a just a few weeks of trying it out. Besides its cumbersome interface, it has a very limited POI database and their street address input almost never works as expected.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Audi periodically upgrade the firmware or software? My BMW Z4 has been upgraded twice in the 4 years I have owned it.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Does Audi periodically upgrade the firmware or software? My BMW Z4 has been upgraded twice in the 4 years I have owned it.
Updates for the internal map database are usually available from Audi each year or so on an expensive dealer installed DVD. The online Google database is dynamically updated - same POIs as Google Maps online from a computer or Google Map running on a portable device. I find the Audi Connect/Google Online Destinations to be very up to date compared to my Gamin PNDs which tend to be one to two years behind for updates.

Audi uses NavTec for it's limited, internal POI data and Google uses it's own. Since the NavTec data is similar to the other map/POI providers in that you must wait for updates, Google is updating continuously, assuming you have Audi Connect activated. The only advantage in updating the car's internal Nav is the maps themselves will get updated with new roads (albeit after some time).

I rarely use the car's internal Nav POI searches for anything other than addresses and use the Online Destinations 95% of the time for everything else. Even if the internal map is not ahowing a new road, Google's POIs will still get you there along with the Google Earth overlay which would show updated roads.

I've found the Nav Plus with Audi Connect to be the best Nav POI database available in a car I've ever used, including my three Garmin PNDs.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

It's an MMI issue that I have reported to Audi since I got my Q5 in early 2010.

The RNS-E Navigation Plus had the same issue but they fixed in in 2007 with a firmware update that was delivered with the map data on the navigation DVD. This affects all house numbers that are alpha numberic like 22W234 or 54E21, very common in the many areas in the North East and Mid West.

When I got my Q5 I called Audi and said why is this bug back and they said it's a Navteq issue with the map data. Clearly incorrect because Navteq also provides the data for the RNS-E. But they denied to even acknowledge the bug.

When I got my A6 the same issue exists and I keep calling Audi once a year and report this at any dealer visit but they don't bother to fix it.

It's not that the map data doesn't know the address, it's the MMI 3G/3G+ that can't handle alpha-numeric house numbers. Even with a Google online search the MMI unable to find the correct spot although Google on the phones finds those addresses just fine.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The voice recognition has understood me almost every time. The few times that it doesn't, it gives me a few options to clarify, and the correct one is usually on there.

I even have an Australian accent, but I did do the built-in voice recognition training. I don't use Google online destinations anymore because my Audi Connect trial has lapsed.

No nav is perfect. Garmin, Tom Tom, Google Maps, etc have all not been able to find an address or made a strange routing at some point or another.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Went on business trip today. Entered destination via the dial selector. Accepted the address. 3 hours later it tell me I have arrived at my destination. Unfortuantely, I'm on a busy overpass over an expressway. HUH? Not a building within 200 yards but according to Audi there is a Panera's there.

Garbage Navigation system and the chief designer/VP needs to be fired
Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
The voice recognition has understood me almost every time. The few times that it doesn't, it gives me a few options to clarify, and the correct one is usually on there.

I even have an Australian accent, but I did do the built-in voice recognition training. I don't use Google online destinations anymore because my Audi Connect trial has lapsed.

No nav is perfect. Garmin, Tom Tom, Google Maps, etc have all not been able to find an address or made a strange routing at some point or another.
Voice recognition? Who is talking about that? We are just trying to get it to work by the dial in settings.

Garbage Navigation system. Fire the VP that signs off on this POS every night before he leaves the office.

Quick Reply: Worst Nav system in industry