Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Xpel v Premium Shield

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Xpel v Premium Shield

Wondering whether anyone has experience with Premium Shield products.

Have Xpel Ultimate on my car and the cars of two other family members, and after 4 years no issues. My wife is buying a new SUV and the dealership is pushing Premium Shield (contracts with local decent installer), extolling its virtues including a lifetime warranty (versus 10 yr for Xpel) and cheaper price. Company website tech sheet shows something comparable to Xpel; a utube video shows the Premium withstanding a 'scratch test' better than the Xpel. I have asked to see a Premium sample with which to compare with a sample piece of the Ultimate, which is pretty thick.

While satisfied with Xpel, it sure would be convenient to have the car wrapped before driving away from dealership - but not inclined to do so without input from forum. Some on the Tesla forum like it, but they may not be as 'hands on' as members here Thanks.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

No experience with Premium Shield. Similar to yourself I have been very happy with my XPEL Ultimate. After nearly 4 years and 75k miles it still looks great.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

I would ask is if there is documentation that states the film has self-healing properties, a great feature of Xpel Ultimate.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I would ask is if there is documentation that states the film has self-healing properties, a great feature of Xpel Ultimate.
+1!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Agree.
Website lists a few films, one of which is called Premiumshield Elite Self Healing. The youtube video to which I referred actually demonstrates a scratch test, demonstrating the Premiumshield product performing better that the Xpel Ultimate.

In addition to scratch, I am interested in chip resistance between the two. Since no tests exist, thought that if I could see in person which film were thicker, then perhaps one would think that the thicker may resist chips better. I suppose if my wife and I followed cars less closely, there were be fewer potential chip disasters.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't know anything about the other stuff but after 5 years of Xpel Ultimate coverage, not one single rock chip. None. Zip. Zero. Speaks well for the product.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75

Have Xpel Ultimate on my car and the cars of two other family members, and after 4 years no issues. My wife is buying a new SUV and the dealership is pushing Premium Shield (contracts with local decent installer), extolling its virtues including a lifetime warranty (versus 10 yr for Xpel) and cheaper price. Company website tech sheet shows something comparable to Xpel; a utube video shows the Premium withstanding a 'scratch test' better than the Xpel. I have asked to see a Premium sample with which to compare with a sample piece of the Ultimate, which is pretty thick.

While satisfied with Xpel, it sure would be convenient to have the car wrapped before driving away from dealership - but not inclined to do so without input from forum. Some on the Tesla forum like it, but they may not be as 'hands on' as members here Thanks.
That part about Tesla drivers being less hands on was pretty clever!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75

I actually have both products on my car. PremiumShield is made by a company here in my home state of Massachusetts. The people who made it actually covered about a 1/4 of my A6 in it before I took it home new from the dealership. The same installers later covered the remainder of my car in Xpel. Both products are good. 3 months after purchasing my A6 I scratched it up pretty good trying to get close enough to one of those ATM drive throughs. They peeled off the PS, and there wasn't a scratch on it. I was so pleased that I had the entire rest of my car covered with Xpel. The installers told me that they'd had a problem with the quality control of the PS Elite, which is why they'd used the standard PS at the dealer. This is why I switched to the Xpel. These are fantastic products. Consider a coating once you cover car with one of these films. It looks much better afterwards, and the rain doesn't leave water stains which is prone to happen with these films without a long lasting coating. My coating still makes my car look amazing almost two years later.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moonlightblue
I actually have both products on my car. PremiumShield is made by a company here in my home state of Massachusetts. The people who made it actually covered about a 1/4 of my A6 in it before I took it home new from the dealership. The same installers later covered the remainder of my car in Xpel. Both products are good. 3 months after purchasing my A6 I scratched it up pretty good trying to get close enough to one of those ATM drive throughs. They peeled off the PS, and there wasn't a scratch on it. I was so pleased that I had the entire rest of my car covered with Xpel. The installers told me that they'd had a problem with the quality control of the PS Elite, which is why they'd used the standard PS at the dealer. This is why I switched to the Xpel. These are fantastic products. Consider a coating once you cover car with one of these films. It looks much better afterwards, and the rain doesn't leave water stains which is prone to happen with these films without a long lasting coating. My coating still makes my car look amazing almost two years later.

I appreciate your input! While I am happy with the Xpel on my car after 4 years, ultimately decided on the Premium Shield for wife's Macan: (1) lifetime warranty backed by dealership, owner of which is mutual friend and, (2) simple convenience. The SUV will be wrapped/coated before we leave the dealership as the Premium Installer subcontracted out of dealership AND wouldn't have hassle of being without a car after driving off lot (trading in RX) if we left car at Xpel place for couple days. Long term bonus: I will report experience back to Forum.

(So your bad habit is driving too close to ATMs, while ours is to follow cars too closely And, for the miscreant who bang their car doors into everyone else...........
Old 05-25-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Here are a couple of photos for anyone that thinks it's costs to much to put on a protective film. I do not know when this happened. Found the scuffs when I was gasing up. They are deep into the film. Luckily not into the paint... Looks like something was dragged across the hood in that area

Last edited by DanfZX14; 05-25-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Xpel v Premium Shield