A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

2.0 engine availability in the US

 
Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 PM
  #1  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
irenesbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,268
Default 2.0 engine availability in the US

Does anyone know when the 2.0 engine will be introduced in the US?
irenesbob is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 10:56 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Super User
 
DB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 2,228
Default

Originally Posted by irenesbob View Post
Does anyone know when the 2.0 engine will be introduced in the US?
Hopefully never. The 2.0 is for EU tax reasons, not for a sports sedan in the US that has cheap gas.
DB22 is offline  
Old 03-30-2019, 04:55 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
irenesbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,268
Default

Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
Hopefully never. The 2.0 is for EU tax reasons, not for a sports sedan in the US that has cheap gas.
I get the personal preference, but I am just wondering if and when Audi is bringing the 4-cylinder to the US in the A6. My dealer is not sure, but they do know there are many customers waiting for it.

That engine is offered in the much heavier and less aero Q7 and my dealer tells me they go out the door at a much higher rate than the 3.0 Q7ís. In the Q7 the 2.0 goes 0-60 in 7.1 seconds compared to 5.7 for the 3.0. The 2.0 Q7 is also 198 lbs. lighter than the 3.0 version. I am figuring that given the 4,266 lb. curb weight of the 3.0 A6, the 2.0 version would be about 4,068 lbs. curb weight and likely go 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. For many in congested areas this is plenty fast.

I had both the 3.0 and the 2.0 in my pervious A6ís and the 2.0 had a much lighter handling feel, whereas the heavier 3.0 tended to not want to change direction as easily and tended to plow and scrub off a lot of front rubber.

irenesbob is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Glisse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,564
Default

Originally Posted by irenesbob View Post
I get the personal preference, but I am just wondering if and when Audi is bringing the 4-cylinder to the US in the A6. My dealer is not sure, but they do know there are many customers waiting for it.

That engine is offered in the much heavier and less aero Q7 and my dealer tells me they go out the door at a much higher rate than the 3.0 Q7ís. In the Q7 the 2.0 goes 0-60 in 7.1 seconds compared to 5.7 for the 3.0. The 2.0 Q7 is also 198 lbs. lighter than the 3.0 version. I am figuring that given the 4,266 lb. curb weight of the 3.0 A6, the 2.0 version would be about 4,068 lbs. curb weight and likely go 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. For many in congested areas this is plenty fast.

I had both the 3.0 and the 2.0 in my pervious A6ís and the 2.0 had a much lighter handling feel, whereas the heavier 3.0 tended to not want to change direction as easily and tended to plow and scrub off a lot of front rubber.
Soon, as it has now been released in Germany. Your performance logic was sound, but a bit conservative. The 0-60mph time will be around 0.2 seconds less than the factory 0-100kph time, which is 6 seconds flat. The differences between the two engines will be a bit more obvious in open road / rolling acceleration.


Source: Audi. de C8 A6
Glisse is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 09:16 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
irenesbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,268
Default

Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Soon, as it has now been released in Germany. Your performance logic was sound, but a bit conservative. The 0-60mph time will be around 0.2 seconds less than the factory 0-100kph time, which is 6 seconds flat. The differences between the two engines will be a bit more obvious in open road / rolling acceleration.
Thanks. Those numbers seem fine for my needs if I decide to go back to an A6 from my current A4, especially given that I drive solo virtually all the time so the passenger load would be that much (190 pounds).
irenesbob is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 03:48 PM
  #6  
AudiWorld Super User
 
DB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 2,228
Default

Originally Posted by irenesbob View Post
Thanks. Those numbers seem fine for my needs if I decide to go back to an A6 from my current A4, especially given that I drive solo virtually all the time so the passenger load would be that much (190 pounds).
I see your logic for an A6 but not with respect to the Q7. If you drive solo with little goods in a Q7 then you bought the wrong car. Q7 is designed to carry a load and the 3.0 is a must.
DB22 is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:24 PM
  #7  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
irenesbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,268
Default

Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
I see your logic for an A6 but not with respect to the Q7. If you drive solo with little goods in a Q7 then you bought the wrong car. Q7 is designed to carry a load and the 3.0 is a must.
I agree. I wouldn't want a Q7 with the 2.0 engine. I was simply using the 2.0 Q7 to show that a big heavy beast can still get out of its own way with the 2.0. I would even say that forthe A6, a typical family with 4 people and luggage would be a bit much for the 2.0. For myself I drive solo nearly 100% of the time and I did find the lighter front load of thee 2.0 made the A6 more nimble feeling when tossing it about.
irenesbob is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iborg
TT (Mk2) Discussion
7
02-05-2019 04:03 AM
flexstar
Q7 Discussion
5
02-04-2019 05:39 PM
Saugrim
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
0
01-31-2019 10:50 AM
VorsprungTT
A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
6
01-29-2019 04:27 AM
Glebpet
4.2 V8 Discussion
0
01-25-2019 02:45 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.0 engine availability in the US


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: