A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

2,000 mile round trip report

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 2,000 mile round trip report

So we drove our new 2019 A6 Prestige Audi to California and back and even though we went through the mountains and averaged over 70mph, our car got 31.4mpg and even more when we were actually doing the speed limit. The car is so comfortable that we drove non stop from Grants Pass, OR to home. A distance of over 412 miles just under 6 hours. Love the quiet of the insulated glass and the 3D stereo had us rocking the whole trip... Only negative is when in the mountains, turn off the cruise control. The car assumes Jersey barriers as other cars and will slow down rapidly. The lane assist is fine however. Most amazing car that holds the line as we went around curves and hair pin turns. My bride saw me smiling the whole time as we navigated in and out of traffic. Got a kick out of watching the RPM's down between 1500 and 1800 while cruising above 70 and 80MPH. I prefer the "Comfort" setting when on major highways as the mileage is much better. In "Dynamic" the engine stays in higher RPM and it will suck the gas. Note I still have 140 miles left after our non stop trip home..

Old 03-22-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 880 Likes on 719 Posts

Great report
Old 03-22-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks... boy do I wish the leases on these were decent. The lease quote I got was so bad .. it totally explains why Audi is having difficulty selling cars this year.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dnx3
Thanks... boy do I wish the leases on these were decent. The lease quote I got was so bad .. it totally explains why Audi is having difficulty selling cars this year.
Not sure if this will be any better, but in Chicago area the dealers offer a "prestige" purchase program. It's like a lease with low monthly payments, but then at the end of the term (2, 3, 4 or 5 years) you can either return the car or payoff the balloon amount and keep the car.

One advantage of this program is that generally speaking in the past Audi's finance rates where better than their lease rates.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
Not sure if this will be any better, but in Chicago area the dealers offer a "prestige" purchase program. It's like a lease with low monthly payments, but then at the end of the term (2, 3, 4 or 5 years) you can either return the car or payoff the balloon amount and keep the car.

One advantage of this program is that generally speaking in the past Audi's finance rates where better than their lease rates.
Every lease provides an option to purchase the car at the end of the lease for 2, 3, 5 years depending on the residual amount. How is this different?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The only difference is Audi's lease rates vs. finance rates. Last time I did this back in mid-2014 Audi's lease rates (money factor) was not very good, but its finance rates (interest rate) was very low.

Again not sure if this is still a viable option, but might be worth a phone call
Old 03-26-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 179 Likes on 159 Posts

Don't know about US law but here in the UK one of the big differences between a lease and a PCP is vehicle ownership. With a lease the car belongs to the leasing company whilst with other forms of finance (Hire Purchase and Personal Contract Purchase being the most common) you own the car but the finacne companiy has a charge on it so legally you cannot sell it without settling the finance. Also many leases give the option to but at the end of the lease but the price is not agreed at the start of the deal or written into the contract but on a PCP the residual value is agreed upfront and is written into the contract. WIth HP there is no residual value.

However as I say that is a UK perspective and may not apply to the US
Old 03-26-2019, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Don't know about US law but here in the UK one of the big differences between a lease and a PCP is vehicle ownership. With a lease the car belongs to the leasing company whilst with other forms of finance (Hire Purchase and Personal Contract Purchase being the most common) you own the car but the finacne companiy has a charge on it so legally you cannot sell it without settling the finance. Also many leases give the option to but at the end of the lease but the price is not agreed at the start of the deal or written into the contract but on a PCP the residual value is agreed upfront and is written into the contract. WIth HP there is no residual value.

However as I say that is a UK perspective and may not apply to the US
Exactly the same here. The terms “PCP” and “HP” is not used here, but the concepts are the same.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ONI1013
Exactly the same here. The terms “PCP” and “HP” is not used here, but the concepts are the same.
Not in my experience. In his post John Simcox said "....many leases give the option to buy at the end of the lease but the price is not agreed at the start of the deal or written into the contract..." In NYS the buyout price is clearly a part of the lease agreement. In fact, that is a major downside to buying one's car at lease end. Even if everyone knows the car is worth less at lease end than the agreed on buyout price AFS makes you pay that price, which at that point is way too high.