AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/)
-   -   2019 A6 Arrival? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/2019-a6-arrival-2960191/)

mrhandsbites 10-06-2018 09:30 AM

2019 A6 Arrival?

Hi, does anyone know when we will start to see the 2019 A6 first arriving to U.S. dealerships?

Stillrestless 10-06-2018 10:50 AM

I checked with my local dealer on Oct. 4, and was told a few cars arrived on Oct. 1 at Davisville. But, there is an EPA port-hold at the moment. No firm ETA, but hopefully by the last week of this month.

Doug2.7 10-06-2018 11:07 AM

My dealer gets two early November and mine comes either late November or NLT mid December... I'm on the west coast so East coast gets Audi's earlier...

ven7782 10-06-2018 07:10 PM

Are folks paying MSRP for the A6?

farmerjones 10-06-2018 07:40 PM

Sweet. Another port hold. How long will this one take? Based on past experiences I'd be shocked to see the car this year show up at dealers. I'm considering ordering a 2019 R8....dealer told me due to issues Audi won't disclose I'm likely looking at a over a year wait for my order if placed today. I'm so over Audi's product planning/rollout. And here I thought some other manufacturers were screwy, but Audi takes the cake.

TheTurtleBoy 10-07-2018 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by farmerjones (Post 25220752)
And here I thought some other manufacturers were screwy, but Audi takes the cake.

I don't know, Audi is bad but Genesis is really having problems. As of right now only 3 dealers in the entire US can sell the 2019 models. Genesis corp won't communicate at all about the situation and existing dealers are mostly clueless. Figures, finally ready to get a new car and the two manufactures I'm down to can't find their way out of a paper bag. ;)

SCarGuy 10-07-2018 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by farmerjones (Post 25220752)
Sweet. Another port hold. How long will this one take? Based on past experiences I'd be shocked to see the car this year show up at dealers. I'm considering ordering a 2019 R8....dealer told me due to issues Audi won't disclose I'm likely looking at a over a year wait for my order if placed today. I'm so over Audi's product planning/rollout. And here I thought some other manufacturers were screwy, but Audi takes the cake.

Port holds happen anytime there is a model year change, regardless if the car is a brand new model or not. Even if the car didn't change, it has to be re-certified by the govt before it can be released from customs

That is a federal govt thing, not an Audi thing. Every single brand sold in the US goes through exactly the same process

The car will absolutely be in before the end of the year

As far as a 19 R8, there is no build guide for it, as it's not slated for production as of yet. That is why it cannot be ordered.

Just like you can't order a 19 TT-RS

TheTurtleBoy 10-07-2018 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25220872)
Port holds happen anytime there is a model year change, regardless if the car is a brand new model or not. Even if the car didn't change, it has to be re-certified by the govt before it can be released from customs

That is a federal govt thing, not an Audi thing. Every single brand sold in the US goes through exactly the same process

Don't you find it odd though that as of last week there was only one model/engine (Q7 3.0) EPA certified and there are about 1,000 from other manufactures? Either Audi intentionally waited to apply, didn't pass, or forgot to request certification? Any of them would show some type of problem, at least with management I would think. Could be wrong though I guess.

SCarGuy 10-07-2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25220879)
Don't you find it odd though that as of last week there was only one model/engine (Q7 3.0) EPA certified and there are about 1,000 from other manufactures? Either Audi intentionally waited to apply, didn't pass, or forgot to request certification? Any of them would show some type of problem, at least with management I would think. Could be wrong though I guess.

No, I don't find it odd at all. Audi (and many other higher end brands) will intentionally hold model year change cars, or new cars, until inventory on current model year cars dissipates. They run on a just in time inventory basis.

The cars in the biggest demand, and with the smallest amount of relative inventory right now (of the "not new" models like A8, A7, A6, Q8) are Q7's. As such, those will be the first of the "not new" vehicles to be port released

TheTurtleBoy 10-07-2018 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25220881)
No, I don't find it odd at all. Audi (and many other higher end brands) will intentionally hold model year change cars, or new cars, until inventory on current model year cars dissipates. They run on a just in time inventory basis.

The cars in the biggest demand, and with the smallest amount of relative inventory right now (of the "not new" models like A8, A7, A6, Q8) are Q7's. As such, those will be the first of the "not new" vehicles to be port released

Ok, thanks for that perspective. I have no knowledge of the inside workings of the industry, trying to learn.

mrhandsbites 10-07-2018 09:17 AM

I put an order for a 2019 A6 prestige back in July and I spoke to my dealer recently and they said it should arrive around the beginning of November!

TheTurtleBoy 10-07-2018 09:49 AM

Sorry, don't mean to be a pain but have been trying to do a little more research and haven't found anything so figured I might as well ask. What is the advantage for Audi in not getting the cars EPA certified and having them held at the dock versus getting them certified and just holding them there themselves? It would seem to me that it would add much more flexibility to their supply line to have the cars ready to go and be able to release them when they are needed rather than relying on a EPA hold to keep them there. This way they can be released at any time and there is no need to possibly wait for the EPA certification. Am I totally missing how that works? Thanks

SCarGuy 10-07-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25220915)
Sorry, don't mean to be a pain but have been trying to do a little more research and haven't found anything so figured I might as well ask. What is the advantage for Audi in not getting the cars EPA certified and having them held at the dock versus getting them certified and just holding them there themselves? It would seem to me that it would add much more flexibility to their supply line to have the cars ready to go and be able to release them when they are needed rather than relying on a EPA hold to keep them there. This way they can be released at any time and there is no need to possibly wait for the EPA certification. Am I totally missing how that works? Thanks

port holds are not a one sided situation. Look at any of the ports cars from Europe come through - the sheer volume they handle annually is insane. Audi’s aren’t the only cars coming through, so at a certain point, they are waiting for their turn in line

TheTurtleBoy 10-07-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25220987)

port holds are not a one sided situation. Look at any of the ports cars from Europe come through - the sheer volume they handle annually is insane. Audi’s aren’t the only cars coming through, so at a certain point, they are waiting for their turn in line

I will have to do a little more research on the process. Didn't realize the EPA certification was tied to the port usage and any backups that may exist there. I was under the impression they submitted cars for testing outside of the normal supply chain just like other products for other gov't agencies. Thanks.

SCarGuy 10-07-2018 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25221011)
I will have to do a little more research on the process. Didn't realize the EPA certification was tied to the port usage and any backups that may exist there. I was under the impression they submitted cars for testing outside of the normal supply chain just like other products for other gov't agencies. Thanks.

your govt at work lol

Stillrestless 10-07-2018 04:17 PM

I'm waiting to see/test the car before pulling the trigger; my dealer will let me know as soon as they receive a car. I think a 2 or 3-week hold is no big deal. If it goes beyond 1 month, then I'd be a little concerned about something else going on. The 3.0 liter turbo is going into many of the bigger Audis; I have to believe Audi has taken care of things under their control as they know how the process works. If this is not the case, heads should roll.

farmerjones 10-07-2018 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25220872)

The car will absolutely be in before the end of the year

As far as a 19 R8, there is no build guide for it, as it's not slated for production as of yet. That is why it cannot be ordered.

Just like you can't order a 19 TT-RS

I worked in the auto industry for a number of years, so I'm very familiar with European cars coming through port and the process they entail. I still have very good connections within the industry for a variety of brands. You are painting a very generic and positive picture of the process.....the current situation Audi is in anything but that.

Let's be fair and agree that the current process is not normal based on previous years for Audi. Audi is having huge issue in certification for Euro 5 emissions standards on cars with the particulate filter new to the gas engines. That situation appears to have bleed over into the American rollout of 2019 models here. Many dealerships are completely starved of inventory of key-selling models with no 2018s left and no idea when 2019s will be released from the port.

Other manufactures have boatloads of 2019 modes EPA certified and are shipping or have fixed shipping schedules in place to meet their product rollout as planned. Audi does not, as the delays are unplanned with no clear resolution in site. People are being promised new car delivery dates that will not be fulfilled, and dealers are already informing customers of this.

Look at the delay of the A8, now the A6/A7 is up in the air....Q8 is a total unknown. Why do you think virtually no 2019 car appear on the Audi web site, and pricing has been rolled out agonizingly slow. Just because a "demo" shows up doesn't mean customer cars are soon to follow.

Some Audi models will likely skip 2019 availability all together in the US. I can't order a 2018 R8 for myself now, and with a 12+ wait before 2019s are ready basically the R8s in stock or transit are the last to be had for up to an entire year. Audi has serious issues of new product availability, and they are trying to hide the problem. Those in the know understand what's happening here....Audi screwed up royally.

Doug2.7 10-08-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by farmerjones (Post 25221102)
I worked in the auto industry for a number of years, so I'm very familiar with European cars coming through port and the process they entail. I still have very good connections within the industry for a variety of brands. You are painting a very generic and positive picture of the process.....the current situation Audi is in anything but that.

Let's be fair and agree that the current process is not normal based on previous years for Audi. Audi is having huge issue in certification for Euro 5 emissions standards on cars with the particulate filter new to the gas engines. That situation appears to have bleed over into the American rollout of 2019 models here. Many dealerships are completely starved of inventory of key-selling models with no 2018s left and no idea when 2019s will be released from the port.

Other manufactures have boatloads of 2019 modes EPA certified and are shipping or have fixed shipping schedules in place to meet their product rollout as planned. Audi does not, as the delays are unplanned with no clear resolution in site. People are being promised new car delivery dates that will not be fulfilled, and dealers are already informing customers of this.

Look at the delay of the A8, now the A6/A7 is up in the air....Q8 is a total unknown. Why do you think virtually no 2019 car appear on the Audi web site, and pricing has been rolled out agonizingly slow. Just because a "demo" shows up doesn't mean customer cars are soon to follow.

Some Audi models will likely skip 2019 availability all together in the US. I can't order a 2018 R8 for myself now, and with a 12+ wait before 2019s are ready basically the R8s in stock or transit are the last to be had for up to an entire year. Audi has serious issues of new product availability, and they are trying to hide the problem. Those in the know understand what's happening here....Audi screwed up royally.

Maybe that is why the European Delivery Program was canceled this year? I sure hope the 2019 A6's get going. I am seeing YV commercials for the 2019 A6... including Facebook...

Check the following Audi sales figures and the graph at the bottom of the page... maybe its all Europe minus USA? https://audiclubna.org/audi-of-ameri...take-the-lead/

SCarGuy 10-08-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by farmerjones (Post 25221102)

You keep saying it's "up in the air", but in reality, it is not. Q8's are at port as we speak, for example.

2019 cars do appear on Audi's site - all of the cars that are new in fact do (A6, A7, A8, Q8, E-Tron) but Audi also controls their inventory flow. 2019 Q7's 3.0's have pricing, and are starting to arrive at port. The rest of the models 1. do not yet have US pricing and 2. have not dimished to sufficient regional/national inventory levels where new ones need to start coming in. I just got more 2018 Q5's, for example, last week, as well as 2018 S4's.

I guess you would have to define "not normal". It's been this way for my recent memory, nothing about it in fact has changed. Vs 10 years ago? Perhaps, but I wasn't in the industry then to know. I know the one Audi I factory ordered back in 2004, arrived within 3 weeks of the projected date I was given. Every other car I've bought from them was either at port, or in someone's inventory and was brought in.

As mentioned, you can't buy a 2019 R8 or order one because it's not even part of the order guide yet. TT's just went to the order guide last month except the T-RS which also is not yet part of the order guide. Everything else has been part of the order guide since the summer. All the truly NEW 2019 models have pricing (A6, A7, A8, Q8). The vehicles that don't have pricing are the ones that have not changed in tems of chassis code vs the 2018 cars (A3, A4, A5, etc).

SCarGuy 10-08-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doug2.7 (Post 25221339)
Maybe that is why the European Delivery Program was canceled this year? I sure hope the 2019 A6's get going. I am seeing YV commercials for the 2019 A6... including Facebook...

Check the following Audi sales figures and the graph at the bottom of the page... maybe its all Europe minus USA? https://audiclubna.org/audi-of-ameri...take-the-lead/

European delivery stopped because not enought people participated in it to make the program worthwhile.

Audi US sales are up in the short and long term. 167,480 sold as of end of September. 4% year over year to 2017, and outpacing the other luxury brands.

TheTurtleBoy 10-08-2018 01:39 PM

I guess this will all be settled one way or the other in the next three weeks or so. If cars are showing up/deliveries being made then there was no “real” problem. If on the other hand people are being notified their deliveries are on hold or pushed back and there are no cars at dealers then we know a problem exists. Maybe best to just sit back and wait.

SCarGuy 10-08-2018 01:49 PM

A8's and Q8's were always the first ones slated to hit showrooms, followed by A6 and A7 about a month later.

I can't speak to what clients at dealers were or weren't told, but that's always what I've told my clients.

having a communicative dealer is essential, as it can make, or break the buying and ownership experience, regardless of the product or brand

farmerjones 10-09-2018 09:13 AM

Just because cars are at port means nothing....they could be delayed for months (as we have seen previously this year on multiple models). Just because an order guide is out doesn't tell us jack-beans about when we could actually buy one. Anyone that says this is normal is just kidding themselves.

My dealer has told me they are expecting delays, and they will not be delivering cars at the promised dates to their customers. Cars like the Q8 haven't even passed US certification yet...you won't be seeing anything but a demo show up on time unless something dramatically changes. Remember A4s and RS5s that sat at port for over 2 months earlier this year? "At port" doesn't indicate a delivery time.

2019 models don't have pricing yet, and they expect customers to place orders for a 2019? They have no idea what the price is, or when they would ship. NO one knows when they will go on sale. THAT'S why they are not on the web site. It's all a mess.

2018 inventory at many dealerships has dwindled down to near-zero levels, and they are in need of new inventory. My dealer only has a supply of Q5 and Q7 models. The literally have no A4s left that are not retired loaner cars with miles. There are zero A3s or Q3s on the lot. 1 A6. No A8s or A7. 1 TT. A handful of A5s. The literally have nothing to sell unless you want a Q5 or Q7. Try and tell them they don't need 2019 cars!

SCarGuy 10-09-2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by farmerjones (Post 25221749)
Just because cars are at port means nothing....they could be delayed for months (as we have seen previously this year on multiple models). Just because an order guide is out doesn't tell us jack-beans about when we could actually buy one. Anyone that says this is normal is just kidding themselves.

My dealer has told me they are expecting delays, and they will not be delivering cars at the promised dates to their customers. Cars like the Q8 haven't even passed US certification yet...you won't be seeing anything but a demo show up on time unless something dramatically changes. Remember A4s and RS5s that sat at port for over 2 months earlier this year? "At port" doesn't indicate a delivery time.

2019 models don't have pricing yet, and they expect customers to place orders for a 2019? They have no idea what the price is, or when they would ship. NO one knows when they will go on sale. THAT'S why they are not on the web site. It's all a mess.

2018 inventory at many dealerships has dwindled down to near-zero levels, and they are in need of new inventory. My dealer only has a supply of Q5 and Q7 models. The literally have no A4s left that are not retired loaner cars with miles. There are zero A3s or Q3s on the lot. 1 A6. No A8s or A7. 1 TT. A handful of A5s. The literally have nothing to sell unless you want a Q5 or Q7. Try and tell them they don't need 2019 cars!

I don;t think anyone "expects" anyone to do anything. Plenty of people order cars without driving them, without getting pricing even. People who have money, and people of more modest (yet comfortable, given the product) means. Happens day in, and day out.

Sounds like your dealer might now know how to properly manage their inventory as well as they should. It happens, not the first time.

Why would they want any 18 A6's? 90% of them are on recall (I have ~16 or so that I can't do anything with.). Same with 18 A7, S6, S7. As you know, they hardly even make TT's, so of course no one is going to have many. I have 1. I wish I could get rid of it, but it's simply not a vehicle with much demand. I'm glad I don't have A8's. I bet your dealer is glad they don't either. I know I'm glad I don't. I haven't had an A8 since February, nor have I been 1. approached about one or 2. want one till the 19 arrives. If your dealer had a buyer for an '18 A8, they could get one.

A5s are out there, A4s are out there, A3s are out there, in abundance. If your dealer wanted one, or needed one, they can easily get them too. If they've sold out, didn't order or arrange trades to get more, that sounds like their own internal issues, and demand being strong. That's a good thing

Q8's will be here shortly. So will A8's. After that, A6's and A7's. All before year end, which, any smart dealer, would have advised their buyer of before an order was finalized..

I have no axe to grind one way or another, I just deal with this stuff day in and day out, on this specific brand. I don't have my hands in a million pots, or casually dip in to talk to people now and again. This brand is the only one I deal with. The sky is not falling.

TheTurtleBoy 10-09-2018 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25221756)
II have no axe to grind one way or another, I just deal with this stuff day in and day out, on this specific brand. I don't have my hands in a million pots, or casually dip in to talk to people now and again. This brand is the only one I deal with. The sky is not falling.

Probably would be good to get your opinion on this then. Currently the Order Guide (9/16 version), the Features List on audiusa.com and the Build on Audiusa.com are inconsistent with each other for some packages and options for at least the A6 and A7. Is there one that we should consider the ultimate source or is it just a case of things not quite being baked yet? Thanks.

SCarGuy 10-09-2018 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25221794)
Probably would be good to get your opinion on this then. Currently the Order Guide (9/16 version), the Features List on audiusa.com and the Build on Audiusa.com are inconsistent with each other for some packages and options for at least the A6 and A7. Is there one that we should consider the ultimate source or is it just a case of things not quite being baked yet? Thanks.

That can happen...it gets annoying, I agree. Especially simple things, like showing pictures of the Euro car, and not the US one.

The order guide is the "bible" so to speak. It is subject to revisions, but that is the best source overall

TheTurtleBoy 10-09-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25221810)
That can happen...it gets annoying, I agree. Especially simple things, like showing pictures of the Euro car, and not the US one.

The order guide is the "bible" so to speak. It is subject to revisions, but that is the best source overall

Okay, thanks. I was hoping that wasn't the case since the Model pages and feature lists say that the Adaptive Chassis/4 Wheel Steering will be available but the Order Guide and Build does not. On the other hand the Order Guide and Features list show Contour seats as available but the Build does not. Best case would be that each was right and wrong depending on what options I would like. LOL

SCarGuy 10-09-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25221812)
Okay, thanks. I was hoping that wasn't the case since the Model pages and feature lists say that the Adaptive Chassis/4 Wheel Steering will be available but the Order Guide and Build does not. On the other hand the Order Guide and Features list show Contour seats as available but the Build does not. Best case would be that each was right and wrong depending on what options I would like. LOL

:)

as I’ve been instructured so far, the A8 has those, but A6 and A7, at least at launch, do not

TheTurtleBoy 10-09-2018 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25221814)

as I’ve been instructured so far, the A8 has those, but A6 and A7, at least at launch, do not

That was my understanding also and was pleasently surprised when they updated the web site for 2019 and the options were there. Maybe just need to hold off a bit for those.

irenesbob 10-09-2018 12:19 PM

No, I don't find it odd at all. Audi (and many other higher end brands) will intentionally hold model year change cars, or new cars, until inventory on current model year cars dissipates. They run on a just in time inventory basis.....

None of the 4 Audi dealers near me has had any 2018 A6's to sell since back in June when I started looking for a new car. All their 2018 A6's were on sales stop/hold because of the airbag recall. Two of those dealers told me back in July they were hoping to get 2019's soon since they had nothing to sell in that class.

Doug2.7 10-09-2018 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25221814)

When I ordered my 2019 A6 I selected contour seats for the Prestige model as well as 20" wheels which was part of the sports suspension... I would assume the order price guide is legit and you are talking the Premium model A6?

TheTurtleBoy 10-10-2018 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Doug2.7 (Post 25222034)
When I ordered my 2019 A6 I selected contour seats for the Prestige model as well as 20" wheels which was part of the sports suspension... I would assume the order price guide is legit and you are talking the Premium model A6?

I took it as he was talking about the Adaptive chassis package which includes the 4 wheel steering and the adaptive dampers. The order guide and the features list show the contour seats as available, it is the Build on the web site that does not.

Doug2.7 10-10-2018 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25222092)
I took it as he was talking about the Adaptive chassis package which includes the 4 wheel steering and the adaptive dampers. The order guide and the features list show the contour seats as available, it is the Build on the web site that does not.

That's what I am hoping for... BTW, I would have ordered the adaptive package as well... I find it intuitive in it's ability to stay level in cornering and lifting up the impact side in case of an accident...

TheTurtleBoy 10-10-2018 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Doug2.7 (Post 25222100)
That's what I am hoping for... BTW, I would have ordered the adaptive package as well... I find it intuitive in it's ability to stay level in cornering and lifting up the impact side in case of an accident...

Hopefully it will be available down the road but every press article I read said it would only be available in the future on the S and RS models in the future. I was really happy to see it on the features list and the original hidden Build they had. I guess we will see.

TheTurtleBoy 10-10-2018 04:20 PM

Just got an email from Audi. Said it is only a matter of days before the 4 new models are at dealers. Hopefully it will be days and not months. ;)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...e0d2667459.png

DB22 10-10-2018 04:28 PM

It’s a shame that Audi keeps giving EU adverts with all of the new features and options but then they take their time working out how to screw it up for the US market by removing the innovation.

TheTurtleBoy 10-10-2018 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DB22 (Post 25222370)
It’s a shame that Audi keeps giving EU adverts with all of the new features and options but then they take their time working out how to screw it up for the US market by removing the innovation.

I'm hoping (probably very wrongly) that in a few months we will see them offering most, if not all, options on the US models. They can't be that bad in their markets on their web site in regards to the features list and the content of the model pages, can they?

Stillrestless 10-10-2018 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=TheTurtleBoy;25222365]Just got an email from Audi. Said it is only a matter of days before the 4 new models are at dealers. Hopefully it will be days and not months. ;)

I got the same email from a dealer. I hope the timing of the email is significant and not just part of a plan developed months ago. Since the new A6 commercials have been running for over one week, any significant delays in availability would reduce the effectiveness of the marketing effort, indicating disconnect between the planned introduction and events on the ground.

TheTurtleBoy 10-10-2018 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=Stillrestless;25222379]

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25222365)
I got the same email from a dealer. I hope the timing of the email is significant and not just part of a plan developed months ago. Since the new A6 commercials have been running for over one week, any significant delays in availability would reduce the effectiveness of the marketing effort, indicating disconnect between the planned introduction and events on the ground.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. We should find out in a week or so I would imagine.

Doug2.7 10-13-2018 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25222371)
I'm hoping (probably very wrongly) that in a few months we will see them offering most, if not all, options on the US models. They can't be that bad in their markets on their web site in regards to the features list and the content of the model pages, can they?

Like anything else mass produced, I would assume wiring and electronics are the same as EU models. So, I would also assume in the future we will get self parking, etc... Probably depends on initial sales and adding value if sales don't materialize... I really wanted air suspension. It's on the US A8... For me the safety issues far outweigh that AudiUSA only wants the A8 and others besides the A6 to have that option now. Oh well... I did email my salesman and asked that he contact me when the 2019 A6's show up.... He said he would so we'll see. My build is still late November to mid December...